China Successfully Tests Sea-based Rocket Booster Recovery System

FILE PHOTO: A delivery driver looks at this phone as he rests on his electric bike in Beijing, China January 25, 2020. REUTERS/Thomas Peter
FILE PHOTO: A delivery driver looks at this phone as he rests on his electric bike in Beijing, China January 25, 2020. REUTERS/Thomas Peter
TT

China Successfully Tests Sea-based Rocket Booster Recovery System

FILE PHOTO: A delivery driver looks at this phone as he rests on his electric bike in Beijing, China January 25, 2020. REUTERS/Thomas Peter
FILE PHOTO: A delivery driver looks at this phone as he rests on his electric bike in Beijing, China January 25, 2020. REUTERS/Thomas Peter

China on Friday successfully tested an experimental rocket retrieval system using a net attached to a sea platform, state media reported, in the hopes of breaking ⁠US dominance in ⁠reusable rockets.

The Long March 10B rocket lifted off from the Hainan commercial ⁠space launch site in southern China and, about six minutes after separation of its booster and upper stage, the booster returned vertically and was recovered on ⁠an ⁠offshore platform, state broadcaster CCTV reported.

It marked China's first successful controlled recovery of a carrier rocket's booster, CCTV said.



Two Rescued after Bulk Carrier Sinks Off India

Beachgoers view and take photos of the Panamanian-registered bulk carrier ship Blueways, which ran aground following a typhoon in September 2022 off the coast of Weihai, in eastern China's Shandong province on August 21, 2026. (Photo by CN-STR / AFP)
Beachgoers view and take photos of the Panamanian-registered bulk carrier ship Blueways, which ran aground following a typhoon in September 2022 off the coast of Weihai, in eastern China's Shandong province on August 21, 2026. (Photo by CN-STR / AFP)
TT

Two Rescued after Bulk Carrier Sinks Off India

Beachgoers view and take photos of the Panamanian-registered bulk carrier ship Blueways, which ran aground following a typhoon in September 2022 off the coast of Weihai, in eastern China's Shandong province on August 21, 2026. (Photo by CN-STR / AFP)
Beachgoers view and take photos of the Panamanian-registered bulk carrier ship Blueways, which ran aground following a typhoon in September 2022 off the coast of Weihai, in eastern China's Shandong province on August 21, 2026. (Photo by CN-STR / AFP)

Rescuers searched on Sunday for 22 people missing after a merchant vessel sank off India's eastern coast, the navy said.

The Panama-flagged bulk carrier MV Ocean Winner was headed to Singapore from Paradip port in India's Odisha state, according to MarineTraffic.

The vessel sent a distress alert about 700 kilometers (435 miles) east of Visakhapatnam, the navy said, prompting a joint rescue operation with the Indian coast guard.

Two of the 24 crew members were rescued, it said, adding that a navy patrol aircraft had been redeployed to surveil the area.

The coast guard also deployed three vessels, Indian broadcaster NDTV reported, according to AFP.

"The aircraft located life rafts in the area", and coordinated with a nearby vessel, MT Aisopos, to collect two of the crew from liferafts, the navy said.

Twenty crew members were Chinese, three were from Myanmar and one was Bangladeshi, the Press Trust of India news agency reported, citing coast guard sources.

The nationalities of the two rescued crew members were not immediately clear.


Egypt Tries to Revive US-Iran Negotiations

 Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Egypt Tries to Revive US-Iran Negotiations

 Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)

The top diplomats for Egypt and Iran discussed efforts to bring Tehran and Washington back to the negotiating table to settle the war, Egypt's foreign ministry said on Saturday.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Egyptian counterpart Badr Abdelatty also discussed the Iranian-Omani talks on the management of the Strait of Hormuz, the ministry said.

Araghchi briefed Egypt's foreign minister about “Iran’s view of ongoing developments, the course of negotiations and their challenges,” the ministry said, without elaborating.

There was no immediate statement from Araghchi.


Putin Says Ukraine Opened ‘Pandora’s Box’ with Strikes on Economic Targets

 Russian President Vladimir Putin gives an interview to journalist Pavel Zarubin in Moscow, Russia, August 22, 2026. (Sputnik/Mikhail Metzel/Pool via Reuters)
Russian President Vladimir Putin gives an interview to journalist Pavel Zarubin in Moscow, Russia, August 22, 2026. (Sputnik/Mikhail Metzel/Pool via Reuters)
TT

Putin Says Ukraine Opened ‘Pandora’s Box’ with Strikes on Economic Targets

 Russian President Vladimir Putin gives an interview to journalist Pavel Zarubin in Moscow, Russia, August 22, 2026. (Sputnik/Mikhail Metzel/Pool via Reuters)
Russian President Vladimir Putin gives an interview to journalist Pavel Zarubin in Moscow, Russia, August 22, 2026. (Sputnik/Mikhail Metzel/Pool via Reuters)

Russian President Vladimir Putin said in comments published on Saturday that Kyiv had opened "Pandora's box" with its strikes on Russian economic targets, saying that Russia would hit back at Ukraine's "most sensitive economic sectors".

Ukraine has this summer escalated a campaign of drone strikes targeting Russian economic infrastructure, including oil refineries and online retailers' warehouses, seeking to ‌destroy infrastructure it ‌says is central to Russia's ‌war ⁠effort.

Russia has responded ⁠with strikes against Ukrainian economic infrastructure, including Ukrainian grain exports via the Black Sea.

"The Kyiv regime set out to damage our economy. What did it do? It opened this Pandora’s box itself. Well then, expect a response targeting your ⁠most sensitive economic sectors," Putin said ‌in comments to ‌a Russian state television journalist.

He said that the strikes, ‌which have jeopardized Ukraine's agricultural exports, would ‌not cause global food shortages, because Russia would be able to replace Ukrainian exports, even as Kyiv has targeted Russian grain export infrastructure.

"We do face ‌challenges regarding the shipment of our goods, but we will resolve these issues. ⁠Consequently, ⁠there will be no shortage on the global market," Putin said.

Russia and Ukraine had previously adhered to a Turkish-brokered deal to protect grain exports on the Black Sea. But Russia exited the deal in 2023.

The Russian leader also restated his position that Moscow is open to peace talks, but only on the basis of "realities on the ground", rather than what he called "exotic" proposals that he said had been made by Ukraine via intermediaries.