IRGC Signals Shift Toward Wider, More Offensive War

A ship near the Strait of Hormuz (Reuters)
A ship near the Strait of Hormuz (Reuters)
TT

IRGC Signals Shift Toward Wider, More Offensive War

A ship near the Strait of Hormuz (Reuters)
A ship near the Strait of Hormuz (Reuters)

A senior Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps official has warned that Iran could shift from defensive to offensive military operations, as Tehran and allied armed groups in Iraq, Yemen and Lebanon reportedly prepare plans to broaden the conflict and raise the cost for the United States and its allies.  

Yadollah Javani, the IRGC’s deputy for political affairs, told Iranian state television that Iran’s military actions had so far been defensive because its adversaries had started the war, but could become offensive in the future.  

He said the armed forces would adopt new approaches following recent appointments and directives from Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei and warned Iran’s adversaries to expect what he described as strategic surprises. 

The warning came as a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Monday that Tehran would escalate tensions in the Strait of Hormuz and the wider region if diplomacy with Washington failed. 

The official said Iran had decided to shift from a defensive posture to a “fully offensive” one and had given the United States “a few weeks” to fully implement the memorandum of understanding. The official noted that relying on pressure or mediators to secure a lasting agreement was no longer considered realistic. 

Javani reiterated Iran’s position that ending the war and reopening the Strait of Hormuz depended on Washington fulfilling its commitments under the Islamabad memorandum. He said the waterway and the arrangements governing it would not return to their prewar status, adding that Iran’s talks with Oman over a shipping corridor concerned the period after hostilities had definitively ended. 

He described Khamenei’s recent military appointments as a restructuring aimed at adapting Iran’s defense doctrine to current conditions. Mohammad Reza Naqdi, an adviser to the IRGC commander, has also spoken of moving from a defensive military doctrine toward a more offensive approach. 

IRGC Deputy Commander Maj. Gen. Mostafa Izadi, meanwhile, claimed Iran had endured the war, sanctions and blockade while spending only a fraction of what its adversaries had spent. He also claimed Iranian forces had shot down more than 200 aircraft during the conflict. 

At the same time, intercepted communications and intelligence indicate that the IRGC has been working with allies in Iraq, Yemen and Lebanon on plans to expand the battlefield, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing regional officials. 

According to the newspaper, Tehran used the relative lull following the June 17 memorandum with Washington to reorganize its military and security structure, rebuild capabilities and prepare for a broader confrontation, based on an assessment that war remained the most likely scenario and negotiations might amount only to a temporary pause. 

Preparations reportedly included giving the IRGC greater influence over the regular military, reorganizing the chain of command, expanding counterintelligence efforts and accelerating missile and drone production while improving accuracy. 

Iran also dispatched advisers and commanders to allied armed groups to discuss a possible expansion of the fighting. Plans included positioning missiles, naval weapons and drone launchers near the Red Sea, supplying allies with intelligence, target lists and operational advice, and threatening regional energy facilities if the United States struck similar infrastructure inside Iran. 

Other options reportedly under consideration include preemptive strikes, operations on adversaries’ territory, possible sabotage of undersea internet cables, and greater use of the Strait of Hormuz and Red Sea to exert military and economic pressure. 

The military restructuring has also placed veteran security figures in key positions, including Mohsen Rezaei, Hossein Taeb, Ali Abdollahi and Ahmad Vahidi, as Tehran prepares for the possibility of a broader confrontation. 



Iran Negotiator Ghalibaf Says Hormuz Will Not Open until US Meets Demands

Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)
Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)
TT

Iran Negotiator Ghalibaf Says Hormuz Will Not Open until US Meets Demands

Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)
Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)

Iran's top negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said on Tuesday that the strategic Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the United States meets Tehran's demands, including lifting a naval blockade.

"I want to state clearly that the Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the American commitments stipulated in the memorandum of understanding... are implemented," Ghalibaf said in a speech broadcast on state television.

He listed the removal of the blockade, the lifting of oil sanctions and unfreezing of Iran's assets abroad among the demands, which were included in an Iran-US truce in June that later collapsed, reported AFP.

War between Iran and the United States broke out on February 28 after US-Israeli attacks on the Iranian republic, triggering a conflict across the region.

Diplomatic efforts have since April 8 put an end to intense bombardments, but sporadic clashes have persisted, especially in and around the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran has kept control of the strait, a vital global energy conduit, since the war broke out, requiring vessels to seek permission and pay transit service fees -- a move opposed by Washington and several regional countries.

Iran and Oman, both coastal states on Hormuz, have for weeks been discussing the future of navigation through the strait, with Tehran saying the geographical coordinates of the route envisaged by both countries "have been agreed upon".

On Monday, Iran said that talks were "continuing in a serious manner" and views were being exchanged on the text of a "joint statement".

US President Donald Trump called for Tehran to surrender in a war that has become a growing political burden at home.

Ghalibaf during his speech said Iran was "ready to inflict an even more crushing defeat on the enemy, proportionate to its actions and advances".


Firefighters Push to ‘Encircle’ Belgian Wildfire

 Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Firefighters Push to ‘Encircle’ Belgian Wildfire

 Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)

Firefighters launched a potentially decisive push Tuesday to encircle Belgium's largest wildfire in a century, despite wind and rain hampering air support operations over the High Fens nature reserve.

The blaze charring the vast expanse of boggy peatlands, pine trees and hiking trails grew over the weekend to half the size of Manhattan -- 3,000 hectares (7,500 acres) -- with hundreds of firefighters working night and day to wrestle it under control.

"We are trying to definitively encircle the fire today," regional government spokesperson Nicolas Yernaux told AFP.

In areas where firefighters could operate, he confirmed the fire was "under control and contained."

But a hard-to-access front towards the German border remains a concern -- with residents in the border town of Monschau already under evacuation orders due to the smoke hazard.

Firefighters worked through the night to make a crucial link-up between the eastern and northern fronts, under very difficult access conditions.

"We're talking about one or two kilometers, and we're on the verge of achieving it," Yernaux told AFP, despite "sustained winds" blowing towards the German border.

Water-bombing aircraft from several countries have been deployed -- with two Norwegian helicopters the latest to fly in on Monday night -- but they have been repeatedly grounded by low cloud and rain. There are also aircraft from Germany, Sweden and the Netherlands.

Yernaux said it was unclear given weather conditions when they would be able to take off again.

"There may be windows of opportunity this morning, but it may not be before tonight."

A huge area has been blanketed by a thick plume of yellowish smoke, with fumes detected as far as eastern France, where authorities issued an air-pollution alert.

The smoke triggered evacuations in one Belgian village and two hamlets of a second -- with residents of the hamlet of Sourbrodt given the green light to return home on Monday night.

- As long as it takes -

Europe has been swept by weeks of devastating wildfires fueled by dry conditions and a historically hot summer, with France, Greece, Portugal and Spain also battling major fires.

The High Fens blaze broke out in an area that was ravaged by massive fires in 1911, during a similar period of heatwaves.

It is the country's largest wildfire since.

During a visit on site with King Philippe on Monday, Belgium's interior minister Bernard Quintin told media it could take "several weeks" of soaking and dousing the area to prevent the fire from reigniting -- even once brought under control.

On-site operations have been made much harder by the fens' terrain -- a patchwork of heath, peat bogs and raised wooden boardwalks where heavy vehicles risk sinking into the ground -- and firefighters struggle to tackle the fire at close range.

They have been counting heavily on aerial assistance to bring the situation under control.

Local farmers have also poured in to help, working shifts to oversee a ballet of tractors pulling in tankers of water from a nearby lake.

"We'll take it in turns as long as it needs -- the team is all set," a farmer from nearby Waremme, told AFP Monday. "We'll keep going until the finish line."

Like much of Europe, Belgium has experienced a new spell of intense heat and drought in recent days.

Temperatures reached as high as 37C in some parts of the country last week, creating conditions conducive to wildfire outbreaks.


Japan's Defense Minister Says Cooperation with US, S.Korea 'Critical' for Region

Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)
Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)
TT

Japan's Defense Minister Says Cooperation with US, S.Korea 'Critical' for Region

Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)
Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)

Japan's defense minister said Tuesday that cooperation between his country, the United States and South Korea was "critical", after US President Donald Trump scaled back military drills with Seoul, said AFP.

"As Japan faces the most severe and complicated security environment in the post-war era, the cooperation among Japan, the United States and South Korea is critical to the peace and stability of the region," Shinjiro Koizumi said in Australia after talks with his counterpart Richard Marles.