WFP Official Assassinated in Southern Taiz, Presidential Council Vows to Pursue Perpetrators

The head of the Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad al-Alimi (Saba)
The head of the Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad al-Alimi (Saba)
TT

WFP Official Assassinated in Southern Taiz, Presidential Council Vows to Pursue Perpetrators

The head of the Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad al-Alimi (Saba)
The head of the Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad al-Alimi (Saba)

A UN World Food Programme (WFP) staff member was shot and killed by unknown gunmen in southwest Yemen on Friday afternoon in Turbah, Taiz.

Moayad Hameidi was killed and died shortly after being transferred to the hospital.

Al-Qaeda terrorists still have five UN employees kidnapped since the beginning of last year, while the Houthi militia is detaining two others.

Two medical sources at Khalifa Hospital in Turbah told Asharq Al-Awsat that Hameidi, a Jordanian national, died after being shot in the head and neck when he finished eating lunch in a restaurant in the city.

In a message to Asharq Al-Awsat, a spokeswoman for the WFP said the organization was "deeply saddened to confirm that a staff member was shot and killed by unknown gunmen."

Talal, a resident in Taiz, told Asharq Al-Awsat that a gunman riding a motorcycle shot Hameidi when he was leaving the famous al-Shaibani restaurant in al-Turbah, where offices of many relief organizations are located.

An official in the governorate leadership told Asharq Al-Awsat that they launched an extensive security campaign to enhance security in al-Turbah and pursue and arrest those involved in the crime.

A local official described the crime as a systematic targeting of the governorate after the international organizations returned to it, opened their headquarters, and changed the image that was formed after the assassination of the coordinator of the International Committee of the Red Cross several years ago.

- Relief concerns

Relief workers fear that the incident will lead to the closure of the WFP offices, which will affect the aid that tens of thousands of Yemenis need.

Bassam, a worker in a relief organization in Taiz, told Asharq Al-Awsat that the UN is facing a considerable deficit in financing the humanitarian response plan.

In cooperation with the government, the organization overcame many obstacles this year and moved towards expanding its activities in the Taiz governorate.

- Presidential Council vows

The head of the Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad al-Alimi, announced the elements involved in carrying out the armed attack that resulted in the death of the UN employee, according to Saba news agency.

The agency said that Alimi made a phone call to Taiz governor Nabil Shamsan who informed him of the preliminary information that indicated the identification of the perpetrator of the criminal attack.

He announced that legal measures had been taken to bring the attacker to trial.

Alimi expressed his sincere condolences to the family of the UN employee and his colleagues.

He reiterated the state's commitment to ensuring all procedures for enforcing justice, securing the staff of relief agencies in the liberated governorates, and facilitating the access of their venerable humanitarian interventions to all those who deserve it across the country.

- Emergency meeting

Earlier, the Security Committee in Taiz Governorate, headed by Shamsan, held an emergency meeting to follow up on the incident's repercussions and confirmed it was tracking down the perpetrators.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.