Berri to Asharq Al-Awsat: Breakthrough Reached in Lebanon’s Presidential Crisis 

Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (R) shakes hands with Jean-Yves Le Drian (L), the former French foreign minister and special envoy for Lebanon, at Berri's house in Beirut, Lebanon, 25 July 2023. (EPA)
Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (R) shakes hands with Jean-Yves Le Drian (L), the former French foreign minister and special envoy for Lebanon, at Berri's house in Beirut, Lebanon, 25 July 2023. (EPA)
TT

Berri to Asharq Al-Awsat: Breakthrough Reached in Lebanon’s Presidential Crisis 

Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (R) shakes hands with Jean-Yves Le Drian (L), the former French foreign minister and special envoy for Lebanon, at Berri's house in Beirut, Lebanon, 25 July 2023. (EPA)
Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (R) shakes hands with Jean-Yves Le Drian (L), the former French foreign minister and special envoy for Lebanon, at Berri's house in Beirut, Lebanon, 25 July 2023. (EPA)

French presidential envoy to Lebanon Jean-Yves Le Drian kicked off a Tuesday a new visit to the country in the hopes of achieving a breakthrough in the impasse over the presidential elections.

He started his three-day trip by meeting parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, who described the talks as good.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that Le Drian briefed him on the talks that were held by the quintet on Lebanon in Doha.

Berri said a breakthrough in the deadlock has been reached, but declined to offer more details about his optimism.

He explained that it was not appropriate for him or others to speak in detail at the moment since Le Drian hasn’t completed his meetings with Lebanese officials.

French diplomatic sources were more cautious, warning against “excessive optimism”. They told Asharq Al-Awsat that the conditions were “constructive”, denying that the envoy had proposed a new initiative to end the crisis.

Lebanon has been without a president since October when the term of Michel Aoun ended. Ongoing political squabbling has led to the current vacuum. Numerous presidential elections sessions have been held, but no candidate managed to secure enough votes to be declared a winner.

Le Drian also met on Tuesday with head of the Kataeb Party MP Sami Gemayel and head of the Progressive Socialist Party MP Taymour Jumblatt.

He is scheduled to meet with several officials and party leaders whom he had met on his previous visit to Lebanon around a month ago.

Since then, the quintet had met in the Qatari capital, calling on Lebanon to intensify efforts to elect a president, who would unite the country and prioritize its interests and carry out crucial economic reforms.

Meanwhile, the “Shiite duo” of Hezbollah and Berri’s Amal Movement have continued to slam “foreign meddling” in Lebanon, most notably in wake of the quintet talks, which were seen as dealing a blow to the French initiative that backed the presidential nomination of Marada movement leader Suleiman Franjieh. The duo also backs his candidacy.

The quintet also rejected the call for dialogue made by the duo, saying it would not be productive at this time.

Hezbollah MP Hussein al-Hajj Hassan said on Tuesday that no progress has been made over the presidential elections.

“Are you still expecting someone from abroad to come up with a solution that the Lebanese can reach among themselves through understanding?” he asked.

Head of Berri’s Development and Liberation parliamentary bloc MP Hani Kobeisy expressed his rejection of “foreign decisions”, adding: “We will reject foreign sanctions that will starve our people. We will not accept a quintet or sextet that holds dialogue instead of us and wants to impose its decisions on us.”

“We have always called for dialogue and continue to do so in spite of the rejection expressed by some parties,” he added.

Meanwhile, Lebanese Forces leader Samir Geagea said: “Along with its allies, the LF is waging the battle of reclaiming the republic from its kidnappers, by preventing the ‘resistance axis’ from controlling the presidency.”

“We know we have a long road ahead of us in liberating Lebanon from its kidnappers and restoring its state institutions, but we are determined to forge ahead without hesitation until the Lebanese people achieve their goals of a dignified life in a prosperous and sovereign nation where rule of law prevails,” he added.



Lebanon Says One Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says One Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

An Israeli strike on Lebanon's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed one person on Friday, state media reported, with the Israeli army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas.

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon.

It reported that one person was killed and an unspecified number wounded.

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene.

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated".

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah.

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people.

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon.

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering months of exchanges that culminated in two months of all-out war in Lebanon.

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad.


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.