Three US Troops Killed in Drone Strike Linked to Iran 

Satellite view of the US military outpost known as Tower 22, in Rukban, Rwaished District, Jordan October 12, 2023 in this handout image. (Planet Labs PBC/Handout via Reuters)
Satellite view of the US military outpost known as Tower 22, in Rukban, Rwaished District, Jordan October 12, 2023 in this handout image. (Planet Labs PBC/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Three US Troops Killed in Drone Strike Linked to Iran 

Satellite view of the US military outpost known as Tower 22, in Rukban, Rwaished District, Jordan October 12, 2023 in this handout image. (Planet Labs PBC/Handout via Reuters)
Satellite view of the US military outpost known as Tower 22, in Rukban, Rwaished District, Jordan October 12, 2023 in this handout image. (Planet Labs PBC/Handout via Reuters)

Three US service members were killed and at least 34 wounded in a drone attack by Iran-backed militants on US troops on the Syrian-Jordanian border, President Joe Biden and US officials said on Sunday.   

It is the first deadly strike against US forces since the Israel-Hamas war erupted in October, and marks a major escalation in tensions that have engulfed the Middle East.   

"While we are still gathering the facts of this attack, we know it was carried out by radical Iran-backed militant groups operating in Syria and Iraq," Biden said in a statement.   

"Have no doubt - we will hold all those responsible to account at a time and in a manner of our choosing," he said.   

Iran's mission to the United Nations said in a statement on Monday that Tehran was not involved in the attack.   

"Iran had no connection and had nothing to do with the attack on the US base," the mission said in a statement published by the state news agency IRNA.   

It added: "There is a conflict between US forces and resistance groups in the region, which reciprocate retaliatory attacks."   

Biden asked for a moment of silence for the three killed service members during a campaign event in South Carolina, adding: "We shall respond."   

US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin echoed that threat. He and other senior officials briefed Biden earlier in the day on the attack.   

At least 34 personnel were injured in the attack, but that number is expected to change as more people seek care, according to a statement from US Central Command. Eight personnel were evacuated from Jordan for higher level care, but are in stable condition.   

Two US officials said the drone struck near the barracks early in the morning, which could explain the high number of casualties.   

The “Islamic Resistance in Iraq”, an umbrella organization of hardline Iran-backed militant groups, claimed attacks on three bases, including one on the Syria-Jordan border.   

The attack is likely to fan fears of wider conflict in the Middle East, where war broke out in Gaza after Palestinian group Hamas' attack on Israel on Oct. 7 which killed 1,200. Israel's subsequent assault on Gaza has killed over 26,000 Palestinians, according to the local health ministry.   

Since then, US forces have come under attack more than 150 times by Iran-backed groups in Iraq and Syria, causing at least 70 casualties prior to Sunday's attack, most of them traumatic brain injuries.   

US warships have also been fired at by Iran-backed Houthi militias in Yemen, who are regularly attacking commercial ships passing through Red Sea waters off Yemen's coast.   

While the United States has thus far maintained an official line that Washington is not at war in the region, it has been retaliating against the Iran-backed groups in Iraq and Syria and carrying out strikes against Yemen's Houthi military capabilities.   

Biden pressured on Iran   

Republican opponents of Biden seized on the attack as evidence of the Democratic president's failure to confront Iran as its proxies strike against US forces across the region.   

"The only answer to these attacks must be devastating military retaliation against Iran’s terrorist forces ... Anything less will confirm Joe Biden as a coward," said Republican Senator Tom Cotton in a statement.   

US Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell said Biden's inaction was emboldening enemies of the United States in the Middle East.   

"The time to start taking this aggression seriously was long before more brave Americans lost their lives," McConnell said.   

A senior official with the Iran-backed Hamas, Sami Abu Zuhri, directly tied the attack to Israel's campaign in Gaza.   

"The killing of three American soldiers is a message to the US administration that unless the killing of innocents in Gaza stops, it must confront the entire nation," he told Reuters.   

"The continued American-Zionist aggression on Gaza is capable of exploding the situation in the region."  

The US military said the attack occurred near the Syrian border.  

The Jordanian government said the attack occurred at an "advanced post" along its border with Syria.   



UN Expert Condemns ‘Torture’ of Palestinian Prisoners in Israel

 Israeli soldiers stand guard during a weekly settlers' tour in Hebron, in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, May 16, 2026. (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers stand guard during a weekly settlers' tour in Hebron, in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, May 16, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Expert Condemns ‘Torture’ of Palestinian Prisoners in Israel

 Israeli soldiers stand guard during a weekly settlers' tour in Hebron, in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, May 16, 2026. (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers stand guard during a weekly settlers' tour in Hebron, in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, May 16, 2026. (Reuters)

A United Nations expert on Tuesday raised alarm over the alleged "torture" of Palestinian prisoners and "potentially unlawful deaths" in Israeli prisons since October 2023.

The comments come as Israel faces growing scrutiny over detention conditions following the October 7, 2023 attack by Hamas inside Israel that sparked the Gaza war.

"Emergency measures introduced after 7 October 2023 exposed Palestinian detainees to torture, potentially unlawful deaths, incommunicado detention, and degrading conditions," said Alice Jill Edwards, the UN special rapporteur on torture.

Quoted in a UN statement seen by AFP, she argued the "number and cruelty of allegations" point to a "gross disregard by Israel of its duty to treat all detainees humanely".

Edwards said she had gathered information on 52 cases involving various forms of torture or ill-treatment, as well as 33 cases of sexual torture and other forms of sexual abuse.

Reported abuses include "severe beatings, stress positions, excessive restraints, electrocution, sleep deprivation, malnutrition and starvation" among many others.

She also expressed concern over reports of at least 94 deaths in custody since October 2023 that had not been investigated.

Autopsies in several cases revealed multiple rib fractures, skin hemorrhages and injuries to internal organs, including abdominal tears, she said.

"Behind every allegation is a human being who was wholly dependent on those exercising power over them," Edwards said, calling for "full, independent and transparent" investigations and accountability.

In a communication to Israeli authorities, she noted that none of the 1,680 complainants filed against Israeli intelligence services had led to indictments.

She urged Israel to review and revise its detention laws, policies and practices.

More than 9,000 Palestinians are currently held in Israeli jails, including 2,200 serving sentences.


Board of Peace Will Ask the UN Security Council to Press Hamas to Disarm

A Palestinian boy stands next to plastic containers on a trolley, as he and others collect portable drinking water for their displaced family living in shelters after homes were destroyed in Israeli bombardment, in the Bureij refugee camp, in the central Gaza Strip on May 18, 2026. (AFP)
A Palestinian boy stands next to plastic containers on a trolley, as he and others collect portable drinking water for their displaced family living in shelters after homes were destroyed in Israeli bombardment, in the Bureij refugee camp, in the central Gaza Strip on May 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Board of Peace Will Ask the UN Security Council to Press Hamas to Disarm

A Palestinian boy stands next to plastic containers on a trolley, as he and others collect portable drinking water for their displaced family living in shelters after homes were destroyed in Israeli bombardment, in the Bureij refugee camp, in the central Gaza Strip on May 18, 2026. (AFP)
A Palestinian boy stands next to plastic containers on a trolley, as he and others collect portable drinking water for their displaced family living in shelters after homes were destroyed in Israeli bombardment, in the Bureij refugee camp, in the central Gaza Strip on May 18, 2026. (AFP)

The body overseeing the US-brokered ceasefire in Gaza will ask the United Nations Security Council to press the Hamas group to disarm, according to a report seen by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

The report by the Board of Peace, an international body set up by US President Donald Trump and tasked with overseeing the fragile ceasefire between Hamas and Israel, is expected to be discussed by the Security Council on Thursday when it meets on the situation in the Middle East.

“At this stage, the principal obstacle to full implementation (of the ceasefire) remains Hamas’ refusal to accept verified decommissioning, relinquish coercive control, and permit a genuine civilian transition in Gaza,” the report said.

Hamas in a statement rejected the report and said it contains “fallacies.”

A diplomat familiar with the report confirmed its authenticity, speaking on condition of anonymity because it has not been made public.

Trump’s 20-point ceasefire plan calls on Hamas to surrender its weapons and destroy its vast network of tunnels. It also envisions Israeli forces withdrawing from Gaza, the arrival of a new technocratic Palestinian government, deployment of an international security force and the rebuilding of the battered Palestinian enclave after more than two years of war.

Board of Peace head has said the ceasefire has stalled

Last week, the head of the Board of Peace, former UN Mideast envoy Nickolay Mladenov, acknowledged that the truce had stalled since taking effect in October, saying the deadlock over disarming Hamas had paralyzed progress.

“Reconstruction cannot commence where weapons have not been laid down,” the board’s report to the Security Council says. “The critical variable — the single factor that unlocks every other element of the plan — is the conclusion of an agreement on the Roadmap for the full implementation of the plan that includes full decommissioning by Hamas and all armed groups in Gaza.”

The Palestinian group, which led the Oct. 7, 2023, attack on Israel that sparked the war in Gaza, has accused Israel of failing to meet its obligations under the first phase of the ceasefire and has sought to link any demilitarization to Israeli troop pullbacks. Israel’s military has expanded its control of Gaza since the truce took effect and now controls some 60% of the territory.

The new report calls on the Security Council to “reiterate publicly, clearly and consistently that the decommissioning of weapons in Gaza is not merely a requirement (of the UN’s resolution to end the war) but critical for reconstruction to begin, for a timebound Israeli forces withdrawal, and for a credible pathway to Palestinian self-determination and statehood to be pursued.”

The Security Council endorsed the Board of Peace in a resolution in November.

Hamas says the report tries to derail the ceasefire

Hamas said the report “contains a number of fallacies that absolve the occupying government of its responsibilities for the daily violations of the ceasefire agreement in Gaza.”

The group said the report ignored Israel’s “failure to uphold the majority of its commitments” in the ceasefire deal, including the continued restrictions on crossings into the Palestinian territory and preventing the entry of material and equipment needed to repair basic infrastructure and shelter for the largely displaced population.

“The report’s adoption of the occupation’s conditions regarding disarmament is a dubious attempt to muddy the waters and derail the ceasefire agreement,” Hamas said in a statement.

It called on the Security Council and Mladenov to compel Israel to fulfill its commitments under the ceasefire' deal's first phase, "foremost among them the cessation of the daily aggression against our Palestinian people in Gaza.”

The ceasefire has seen numerous violations The report noted near-daily ceasefire violations, “some of which are serious, and their human consequences — civilians killed, families living in fear, and continued impediments to humanitarian access — cannot be minimized.”

Israel’s military still carries out airstrikes in Gaza despite the ceasefire and has pushed deeper into the territory, where it now controls more than it was granted under the ceasefire agreement. Living conditions are dire, with most of the territory’s 2 million people living in tent camps lacking basic services.

Mladenov last week said his office is addressing violations by both sides on a daily basis. But he repeatedly cited the disarmament issue as a central sticking point, saying Hamas’ obligation to give up its arsenal is “not negotiable" and that progress on all other issues was being held up.


Israel Military Issues Fresh Evacuation Warnings for South Lebanon

Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Burj el-Shmali on on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Burj el-Shmali on on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Israel Military Issues Fresh Evacuation Warnings for South Lebanon

Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Burj el-Shmali on on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Burj el-Shmali on on May 19, 2026. (AFP)

The Israeli military on Tuesday warned residents of 12 towns and villages in southern Lebanon to immediately evacuate ahead of expected attacks against Hezbollah, the latest despite a ceasefire.

"Hezbollah's continued violations of the ceasefire compel the army to operate against it. The army does not intend to harm you. For your safety, we urge you to distance yourself from the area and immediately move at least 1,000 meters away," the military's Arabic-language spokesman Avichay Adraee posted on X.

Lebanon's state-run National News Agency reported a new series of Israeli strikes targeting several locations in southern Lebanon on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Hezbollah said in a statement that it had targeted a gathering of soldiers and vehicles in northern Israel with "a swarm of attack drones."

The Iran-backed group also claimed responsibility for new attacks against Israeli forces operating inside Lebanese territory.

The Israeli military said that following sirens in several areas of northern Israel, a drone "that crossed from Lebanon to Israeli territory was intercepted".

Since the start of the ceasefire on April 17, Israel has continued to launch strikes, carry out demolitions and issue evacuation orders in south Lebanon, saying it is targeting the group.

Hezbollah has also continued operations against Israeli forces in southern Lebanon and northern Israel.

On Monday, the Lebanese health ministry said the death toll from Israeli strikes since the start of the war on March 2 had reached 3,020.

The Israeli military says it has lost 20 soldiers and one civilian contractor in southern Lebanon since the war began.