Rapid Support Forces: Sudanese Army Restored Relations with Iran

Representatives of the two parties to the Sudanese conflict during the signing of the "Jeddah Agreement" in May 2023 (Reuters)
Representatives of the two parties to the Sudanese conflict during the signing of the "Jeddah Agreement" in May 2023 (Reuters)
TT

Rapid Support Forces: Sudanese Army Restored Relations with Iran

Representatives of the two parties to the Sudanese conflict during the signing of the "Jeddah Agreement" in May 2023 (Reuters)
Representatives of the two parties to the Sudanese conflict during the signing of the "Jeddah Agreement" in May 2023 (Reuters)

Senior leaders from Sudan's army and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) met several times last month in Bahrain, the first such contact between the two warring sides since the beginning of the war last April, sources with knowledge of the talks said.
General Shamseldin Kabbashi and the RSF deputy leader General Abdelrahim Dagalo, a brother of RSF commander Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, met in Manama seeking a political deal to end the war in the country.
However, RSF sources said the meetings were suspended in protest against the army's restoration of relations with Iran.
Reuters reported that the meetings in Manama were attended by influential deputies from both forces and officials from Egypt and the UAE, according to the four sources, two of whom were at the talks.
According to one participant, the two sides had tentatively agreed on a declaration of principles, including maintaining the unity of Sudan and its military.
The Armed Forces and the RSF did not comment on the media leaks and remained silent for almost a week.
However, al-Arabiya’s al-Hadath channel reported that the negotiations had stopped after the Sudanese army restored its relationship with Iran.
The channel quoted RSF sources as saying that restoring relations with Iran was "unjustified at present" and that the army seeks "to obtain military and logistical support."
Opinions varied between the supporters of the army and the former regime, including members of the Sudanese Islamic Movement and the National Congress, some of whom called for the continuation of the war, while others supported the Manama talks and those who considered them "treason."
The "Jeddah Platform" negotiations were halted because the two parties disagreed with their pledges.
The army accused the RSF of taking over civilian property, and the latter said the military did not adhere to the procedures for expressing good intentions represented in the arrest of Islamists escaping from prisons and stopping hostile media campaigns.
Furthermore, the Intergovernmental Authority for Development in Africa (IGAD) attempted to stop the war in Sudan at the request of the army commander, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, but he froze dealing with the Authority, claiming it "did not meet the date" set for the meeting with Hemedti.
Meanwhile, the RSF commander expressed readiness to implement its recommendations.
International, regional, and Western efforts, in particular, are active to pressure the two sides to stop the fighting.
German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock visited African countries concerned with the Sudanese issue to coordinate international mediation initiatives and increase pressure on both sides of the war.
Last Friday, Baerbock met with the President of South Sudan, Salva Kiir Mayardit, and the Kenyan President, William Ruto.
The South Sudanese presidency said that the meeting focused on discussing the peace process.
At the beginning of her tour in the region last Wednesday, Baerbock made an unplanned layover in Saudi Arabia on the way to Djibouti, as she needed a permit to fly over Eritrea.
UN Special Envoy for Sudan Ramtane Lamamra visited Sudan and Kenya and met with the two warring parties, urging them to stop the war.
The IGAD summit, held in Uganda on Jan. 18, decided to bring Burhan and Hemedti in a meeting together within two weeks of the decision, but the Sudanese army refused to participate in the summit in protest against Hemedti's invitation to participate.
Burhan also froze Sudan's membership in the regional body, saying the Authority's actions do not concern the army.
IGAD, despite Sudan freezing its membership in it, had pledged to use all means to stop the war, making the capital a demilitarized zone and removing both sides of the fighting from it.
It also called for addressing the humanitarian crisis and deploying African forces to monitor the implementation of the agreement in preparation for a political process that addresses the causes of the war once and for all, a plan agreed upon by the international and regional communities.



UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.


Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)

Israel has raised the alert level of its military along the border with Lebanon, raising questions that Lebanon’s south may again be involved in a regional confrontation should the US attack Iran.

Given the heightened tensions between the US and Iran, questions have been asked over whether Hezbollah will become involved in a new war. Its Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem had recently announced that the party will not remain on the side if Iran is attacked.

On the ground, Israel blew up houses in southern Lebanon border towns and carried out air strikes in the south. Israeli military spokesman Avichay Adraee said the raids targeted “Hezbollah infrastructure,” including arms caches and rocket launchers.

Their presence in the south is a violation of current agreements, he added.

Amid the high regional tensions, Israel’s Maariv quoted a military source as saying that the army has come up with plans, including a preemptive strike against Hezbollah, which would drag the south and the whole of Lebanon into a new war.

Ministerial sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the presidency has been carrying out internal and foreign contacts since Thursday morning to keep Lebanon out of any escalation.

Hezbollah had launched a “support front” war against Israel a day after Hamas’ October 7, 2023 attack. In 2024, the war spiraled into an all-out conflict, with Israel decimating the Hezbollah leadership and severely weakening the party.

Israel believes that Hezbollah has been rebuilding its capabilities since the ceasefire that was struck in November 2024.

Kassim Kassir, a political analyst who is close to Hezbollah, told Asharq Al-Awsat: “No one knows what Hezbollah will do because the situation is tied the extent of the attack, should it happen.”

He noted that Qassem was ambiguous when he said the party will decide what to do when the time is right, but at any rate, he stressed that the party will not remain on the sidelines or abandon Iran.

“No one knows what Hezbollah’s abilities are, so everything is possible,” Kassir said.

Riad Kahwaji, a security and defense affairs expert, said he does not rule out the possibility that Hezbollah would join the war should the US attack Iran.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, he stressed that Iran is now the United States’ main target, when previously it used to confront its proxies.

It has now taken the fight directly to the heart of the problem, which is the Iranian regime, he remarked.

The extent of the military mobilization in the region and the frequent American statements about regime change all indicate that a major military operation may be imminent, he added.

Israel’s military also favors preemptive operations, so it is watching Hezbollah, which remains Iran’s most powerful regional proxy despite the blows it received in 2024 war, Kahwaji said.

Hezbollah still possesses a rocket arsenal that can threaten Israel, he remarked.

Israel’s high level of alert on the border with Lebanon could be in readiness for any development. Should Tel Aviv receive word from Washington that it intends to attack Iran, then it could launch operations against Hezbollah as part of preemptive strikes aimed at preventing the party from launching attacks against it, Kahwaji said.

“As long as Hezbollah possesses heavy weapons, such as rockets, and drones, that it has not handed over to the army, then Lebanon will continue to be vulnerable to attacks in the next confrontation. It will be exposed to Israeli strikes as long as this issue remains unresolved,” he added.