Yemen, UN to Work Together to Avert Ecological Disaster after Rubymar Sinking

A handout picture released by the US Central Command (CENTCOM) on March 2, 2024 shows the capsized Belize-flagged UK-owned bulk carrier Rubymar in the Red Sea, after taking damage due to a February 18 missile strike claimed by Yemen's Houthi militias. (AFP/US CENTCOM)
A handout picture released by the US Central Command (CENTCOM) on March 2, 2024 shows the capsized Belize-flagged UK-owned bulk carrier Rubymar in the Red Sea, after taking damage due to a February 18 missile strike claimed by Yemen's Houthi militias. (AFP/US CENTCOM)
TT

Yemen, UN to Work Together to Avert Ecological Disaster after Rubymar Sinking

A handout picture released by the US Central Command (CENTCOM) on March 2, 2024 shows the capsized Belize-flagged UK-owned bulk carrier Rubymar in the Red Sea, after taking damage due to a February 18 missile strike claimed by Yemen's Houthi militias. (AFP/US CENTCOM)
A handout picture released by the US Central Command (CENTCOM) on March 2, 2024 shows the capsized Belize-flagged UK-owned bulk carrier Rubymar in the Red Sea, after taking damage due to a February 18 missile strike claimed by Yemen's Houthi militias. (AFP/US CENTCOM)

An agreement is expected to be announced between the Yemeni government and United Nations on a joint plan to deal with the Rubymar British vessel sunk by the Iran-backed Houthi militias off the coast of Mocha in February, revealed Yemeni government sources.

They told Asharq Al-Asat that the government crisis cell, chaired by Minister of Water and Environment Tawfiq al-Sharjabi, will meet with UN experts on Thursday.

The meeting will discuss the government plan to address the sinking and avoid an environmental disaster.

The Rubymar sank following a Houthi attack on February 18.

The crisis cell met this week to address means to avert a disaster should the ship’s cargo of fuel and hazardous fertilizer seep into the sea.

The meeting was attended by Yemen’s Minister of Legal Affairs and Human Rights Ahmed Arman.

Al-Sharjabi underscored the danger posed by the vessel to marine life. He held the owner of the ship responsible for the damage that could happen to marine life in Yemen or international shipping lanes.

He slammed the owner company for failing to take the necessary measures to save the ship and keep it afloat in spite of the facilitations provided by the Yemeni government.

Arman reminded the gatherers of the 1979 International Convention on Maritime Search and Rescue (SAR) that holds the owner of a vessel responsible for handling any situation it encounters.

Meanwhile, two government sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that after reviewing the government proposals on the crisis, the UN team will head to the location of the sunken ship to assess the situation.

One of the options on the table calls for working with a company specialized in rescue operations to handle the ship and retrieve it to prevent its cargo from spilling into the sea.

The government has been insistent that the international community offer immediate assistance to tackle the situation and avert imminent disaster.

France has expressed readiness to dispatch a team of experts to assist the government in containing the repercussions of the crisis, revealed the sources.

French Ambassador to Yemen Catherine Corm-Kammoun relayed this position to Chairman of the Yemeni Presidential Leadership Council Dr. Rashad al-Alimi.

Last week, the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD) said it was “extremely concerned” about the looming ecological disaster posed to the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden by the sinking of Rubymar.

“The Rubymar is loaded with more than 21,000 metric tons of ammonium phosphate fertilizer and fuel on board. That’s equivalent to 200 tons of oil. Leaking fuel could devastate marine life and destroy coral reefs, sea life and jeopardize hundreds of thousands of jobs in the fishing industry as well as cut littoral states off from supplies of food and fuel,” it warned.

The IGAD region and the entire Red Sea arena would need a very long time to address the fallout of marine pollution, while the Red Sea ecology “would need more than 30 years to recover from the resulting dire consequences of the fuel leak,” it said.

“A discharge could also disrupt one of the busiest shipping lanes and affect seamless movement of goods and services through the Red Sea waterway.”

“IGAD calls upon all the stakeholders to invest in peaceful options to address the looming environmental disaster in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden. The attacks on ships must cease,” it demanded.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.