The Netherlands Supports Lebanon with €140 Million

Dutch Foreign Minister Hanke Bruins Slot shakes hands with Lebanon's caretaker Foreign Minister Abdallah Bou Habib at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in Beirut, Lebanon May 6, 2024. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
Dutch Foreign Minister Hanke Bruins Slot shakes hands with Lebanon's caretaker Foreign Minister Abdallah Bou Habib at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in Beirut, Lebanon May 6, 2024. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
TT

The Netherlands Supports Lebanon with €140 Million

Dutch Foreign Minister Hanke Bruins Slot shakes hands with Lebanon's caretaker Foreign Minister Abdallah Bou Habib at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in Beirut, Lebanon May 6, 2024. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
Dutch Foreign Minister Hanke Bruins Slot shakes hands with Lebanon's caretaker Foreign Minister Abdallah Bou Habib at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in Beirut, Lebanon May 6, 2024. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir

The Netherlands has allocated €140 million to support Lebanon for the next four years, Dutch Foreign Minister Hanke Bruins Slot announced in Beirut on Monday.

The announcement came amid concerns in Lebanon over an aid package from the European Union last week to provide €1 billion to the Lebanese government over three years to prop up the country's economy and help prevent a surge in refugees leaving for Europe.

The EU aid package has sparked outrage among Lebanese, primarily due to concerns that it might push Syrians to permanently settle in Lebanon.

The outrage further culminated on Monday when head of the Lebanese Forces Samir Geagea said his party will “continue exerting all efforts until the last illegal migrant leaves Lebanon.”

Following a meeting with her Lebanese counterpart, Abdallah Bou Habib, on Monday, the Dutch Foreign Minister expressed great appreciation for Lebanon for hosting the largest number of displaced Syrians despite the great burden it bears. “I understand that this has a huge impact on Lebanon and its people,” she said.

Slot noted that The Netherlands supports the Lebanese army, which works to strengthen stability. “We also support rebuilding the private sector in Lebanon, which contributes to the development of the country, in cooperation with the European Union. The Netherlands has allocated an amount of €140 million for the next four years,” she added.

This is Slot’s first visit to Lebanon.

The Dutch Minister said her country is committed to the relationship with Lebanon and that she spoke with Bou Habib about the importance of stability in the Middle East.

Slot also discussed the ongoing conflict between Hamas and Israel, saying, “We would like to resolve the crisis and reach a quick agreement regarding the current negotiation, and thus an immediate ceasefire, the return of the prisoners, and for the agreement to be a foundation upon which a lasting peace can later be built.”

The Dutch Foreign Minister then highlighted "the importance of immediately halting the deteriorating situation on the southern Lebanese border between Israel and Lebanon.”

She said The Netherlands is concerned about the escalation of the conflict and regrets the loss of civilian lives because of its negative impact on Lebanon and the region. “It is extremely important that we avoid expanding the cycle of violence.”

Slot then asked for a diplomatic solution and count on France's efforts. But, she said, Lebanon also plays a role and Resolution 1701 must be adopted as a basis for lasting peace. “We urge both sides, including Hezbollah, to contribute to implementing Resolution 1701 through field action, and also to support the Lebanese army.”

Meanwhile, the LF leader said his party’s position on the issue of the illegal Syrian presence in Lebanon is a firm, principled and sovereign stance that does not change with a billion euros or tens of billions, and does not change with an international request or wish.

The illegal presence of Syrians on Lebanese soil cannot continue and is not subject to discussion, according to Geagea. “The only thing that is up for discussion is assistance in their deportation, not assistance in keeping them in Lebanon,” he affirmed.

On Monday, Hezbollah said it refuses to negotiate a ceasefire in south Lebanon or to discuss any arrangements for the southern Litani area before the Gaza ceasefire.

The head of the Loyalty to the Resistance parliamentary bloc, MP Mohammad Raad, vowed that the war between his party and Israel is not just a military or a balance of power battle.

At a memorial service, he said, “This battle aims to offer a model of dedication to the preservation of the homeland and the preservation of humanity. We offer jihadists who have the highest moral and humanitarian characteristics and do not target civilians but only its enemies.”

In return, he accused Israel of presenting the ugliest image of a cruel human.



Jordan Says Shot Down Drone in its Airspace

AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
TT

Jordan Says Shot Down Drone in its Airspace

AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers

The Jordanian military announced it had shot down a drone of unknown origin in its airspace on Wednesday. No casualties were reported.

"This morning, the Jordanian Armed Forces engaged with a drone of unknown origin that entered Jordanian airspace and was brought down in Jerash Governorate, without any injuries," the military said of an area located around 50 kilometres (30 miles) north of the capital Amman.


First of Hundreds of Detained Gaza Flotilla Activists Arrive in Israel

 Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

First of Hundreds of Detained Gaza Flotilla Activists Arrive in Israel

 Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)

Israeli authorities have begun detaining hundreds of activists seized from a Gaza-bound flotilla at the southern port of Ashdod on Wednesday, a rights group said, after Israeli forces intercepted their vessels at sea.

The Global Sumud Flotilla set sail from Turkey last week in the latest attempt by activists to breach Israel's blockade of the Palestinian territory, after Israeli forces intercepted a previous convoy last month.

Israeli authorities said 430 activists aboard the flotilla were en route to Israel, while rights group Adalah said some had already arrived at Ashdod port and were being held there.

"Having set sail toward Gaza to deliver humanitarian aid and challenge the unlawful blockade, these civilian participants were forcefully abducted from international waters and taken into Israeli territory entirely against their will," Adalah said.

"These acts are a direct extension of Israel's policies of collective punishment and starvation of Palestinians in Gaza."

The Israeli foreign ministry dismissed the operation as a publicity stunt serving the Palestinian movement Hamas.

"Another PR flotilla has come to an end. All 430 activists have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel, where they will be able to meet with their consular representatives," a spokesman from the foreign ministry said late on Tuesday.

"This flotilla has once again proved to be nothing more than a PR stunt at the service of Hamas," the spokesman added.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu earlier denounced the flotilla as "a malicious scheme designed to break the blockade we have imposed on Hamas terrorists in Gaza".

The United States on Tuesday sanctioned four people associated with the Global Sumud Flotilla and accused them of being "pro-terrorist".

Around 50 ships had departed from southwestern Türkiye on Thursday.

Nine Indonesian citizens who were part of the flotilla "have all been reported arrested by Israel," a spokeswoman for Indonesia's foreign ministry said, citing information dated Wednesday.

Indonesia called on Israel to immediately release all vessels and crew members, adding that "every diplomatic channel and consular measure will continue to be fully utilized".

Indonesian newspaper Republika earlier said two of its journalists were among the nine Indonesians detained.

Türkiye and Spain have condemned the interception.

Organizers said the flotilla also included 15 Irish citizens, including Margaret Connolly, sister of President Catherine Connolly.

Israel controls all entry points into Gaza, which has been under an Israeli blockade since 2007.

During the Gaza war, triggered by Hamas's October 2023 attack on Israel, the territory has suffered severe shortages of food, medicine and other essential supplies, with Israel at times halting aid deliveries entirely.

A previous flotilla attempt was intercepted last month in international waters off Greece, with most activists expelled to Europe.

Two were brought to Israel, detained for several days and then deported.


Authorities Deny Existence of a Second Israeli Base in Iraq

An Iraqi shepherd leads a flock of sheep at sunset in the town of Mishkhab, south of Najaf, Iraq. (AFP)
An Iraqi shepherd leads a flock of sheep at sunset in the town of Mishkhab, south of Najaf, Iraq. (AFP)
TT

Authorities Deny Existence of a Second Israeli Base in Iraq

An Iraqi shepherd leads a flock of sheep at sunset in the town of Mishkhab, south of Najaf, Iraq. (AFP)
An Iraqi shepherd leads a flock of sheep at sunset in the town of Mishkhab, south of Najaf, Iraq. (AFP)

Iraqi authorities on Tuesday denied reports of a second Israeli military base in western Iraq, while acknowledging that an Israeli force had been stationed between the provinces of Najaf and Karbala for 48 hours in early March.

The controversy erupted after The Wall Street Journal reported earlier this month that Israel had established a makeshift secret military site in the desert between Najaf and Karbala to support its war against Iran that erupted on February 28.

The report fueled criticism over Baghdad’s ability to safeguard national sovereignty and prevent foreign military incursions.

The New York Times had previously reported that Israel had spent more than a year preparing clandestine sites in the Anbar province in western Iraq for aerial support operations, refueling, and medical treatment during the war with Iran.

At a press conference Tuesday, Iraqi Interior Ministry media director Miqdad Miri rejected claims that any foreign military camp exists in Iraq.

“The ministry denies the existence of any camp belonging to another country in Iraq,” he said. “What occurred was an airborne deployment lasting 48 hours during the war against Iran” in early March.

He added that the Joint Operations Command had resolved the issue and possessed “photos and documents confirming that the deserts of Najaf and Anbar are free of any military bases.”

Miri further stated that Iraq had strengthened security along its border with Syria by completing a 380-kilometer concrete wall and carrying out 12 anti-smuggling operations in coordination with Syria, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia.

The media reports about the Israeli bases have embarrassed Iraqi authorities, leading to conflicting official statements that alternated between denying and acknowledging the sites before ultimately conceding that Israeli forces had briefly operated on Iraqi territory.

Officials continue to minimize the significance of the incident by stressing the short duration of the deployment.

Sources familiar with the matter had previously told Asharq Al-Awsat that “a foreign force remained stationed inside Iraqi territory for nearly a full week before it was discovered by chance.”

Iraqi security agencies are facing mounting public criticism for failing to prevent foreign military activity on Iraqi soil. Authorities have also been criticized for failing to stop attacks carried out by Iran-backed armed factions inside Iraq and against Gulf states.