Hezbollah Refuses to Extend Lebanon Ceasefire with Israel

People gather in front of army soldiers after being barred from returning to the village of Aitaroun, Bint Jbeil District, southern Lebanon, 27 January 2025. (EPA)
People gather in front of army soldiers after being barred from returning to the village of Aitaroun, Bint Jbeil District, southern Lebanon, 27 January 2025. (EPA)
TT

Hezbollah Refuses to Extend Lebanon Ceasefire with Israel

People gather in front of army soldiers after being barred from returning to the village of Aitaroun, Bint Jbeil District, southern Lebanon, 27 January 2025. (EPA)
People gather in front of army soldiers after being barred from returning to the village of Aitaroun, Bint Jbeil District, southern Lebanon, 27 January 2025. (EPA)

Hezbollah used the return of residents of southern Lebanon to their homes and their confrontations with Israeli forces to portray itself as still in control of the security situation on the ground.

Twenty-four people were killed and over 120 wounded in the clashes as residents tried to make their way back to their homes in the South at the end of the deadline in the ceasefire between Hezbollah and Israel.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem declared on Monday that the developments over the past two days are a “violation of the ceasefire and underscore Lebanon’s need for the resistance (Hezbollah).”

He stressed that his Iran-backed party rejects the extension of the ceasefire, adding that Israel must withdraw from areas it is still occupying in southern Lebanon. “We will not accept any justification for the extension of the 60-day ceasefire,” he stated.

The ceasefire has been extended to February 18.

The United States and France - countries sponsoring the ceasefire - as well as the United Nations, will be held responsible for the consequences of the delay in the withdrawal, Qassem went on to say.

Meanwhile, Hezbollah MP Hassan Fadlallah declared that “the resistance alone protects the land and can help the people return to their homes.”

In a statement on Sunday, he stressed: “No one can eliminate the ‘army, people, resistance’ term from the ministerial statement.”

Lebanon is in the process of forming a new government and the term has often been a point of contention between rival political blocs, with opponents now demanding that it be omitted from the new cabinet’s statement.

As residents of the South made their way home on Sunday, later that day, Hezbollah supporters riding on motorcycles roamed the Beirut neighborhoods that are known for their opposition to the party.

Riding through the Christian neighborhood of Ain al-Rummaneh and Sunni Sakiet al-Janzeer, the supporters flew Hezbollah flags and chanted party and sectarian slogans to incite the residents in scenes that were shared on social media and widely condemned in the country.

Lebanese citizens return to their destruction homes caused by the Israeli air and ground offensive, in Aita al-Shaab, a Lebanese border village with Israel, south Lebanon, Sunday, Jan. 26, 2025. (AP)

Domineering mentality

Observers said the provocations were a direct message to newly elected President Joseph Aoun and Prime Minister-designate Nawaf Salam in that “no one can eliminate Hezbollah’s popular support and that the party can reshuffle the political and security cards if it does not get what it wants in the new government and ministerial statement.”

Leading member of the Lebanese Forces and former MP Antoine Zahra said: “Hezbollah is once again using its domineering approach against the Lebanese people given its military and political losses.”

“It is trying to compensate for these losses through politics” after it had been controlling the country for years, he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

He wondered at the “state of denial Hezbollah is experiencing and its provocations of neighborhoods that had taken in its supporters during the war.”

He said Sunday’s provocations in Beirut were an attempt by Hezbollah to demonstrate its domineering approach and hegemony over the majority of the Lebanese people.

Return to South

In a statement on Sunday, Hezbollah said the return of the residents of the South to their homes was a new demonstration of “dignity written by the people of the resistance. These people are the resistance’s most powerful weapon.”

“We bow before the might of the people of the resistance and underscore that the ‘army, people and resistance’ equation protects Lebanon from enemies, and it is not just empty words. It is a reality experienced by the Lebanese people every day. They embody it with their perseverance and sacrifices,” continued the statement.

It called on “all Lebanese people to stand by the residents of the south to demonstrate national solidarity and build a new meaning for sovereignty that is based on liberation and victory.”

The images of people returning to their homes in the South in defiance of Israel and the Hezbollah convoys in Beirut gave the party a morale boost and it has been using it to impose its conditions on the formation of the new government, including the “army, people and resistance” equation.

The majority of the Lebanese people believe that the equation no longer stands given Hezbollah’s defeat by Israel and its ensuing political defeat with Aoun’s election and Salam’s designation as PM.

“This equation will never again see the light of day,” stressed Zahra.

“They can do whatever they like if they take control of parliament and the government through democratic means,” he stated.

“The country must be ruled by the constitution and laws,” he demanded.

“No one can rule Lebanon alone. We must either be partners or look for some other way of running the country,” Zahra remarked. Asked to elaborate, he replied: “It could be a federation as this may offer the people a way of liberating themselves from the hegemony of Hezbollah’s weapons.”

Loyal base

The developments in the South and the provocations in Beirut gave the impression that Hezbollah may still be capable of imposing its conditions through street pressure the way it has been doing since 2005.

However, political researcher and Hezbollah expert Kassem Kassir said: “The party doesn’t need such incidents to promote its image. It was still very present politically before the developments in the South unfolded.”

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that the developments were a “message to everyone who questioned Hezbollah’s presence in the region and who believed that its popularity had waned.”

Moreover, they proved that Hezbollah’s supporters are still loyal to it and its choices, he said.

Lebanese troops are deployed to prevent people from returning to Mais al-Jabal, Marjeyoun District, southern Lebanon, 27 January 2025. (EPA)

Threat to civil peace

On the convoys in Beirut, Kassir said they were “spontaneous and had nothing to do with Hezbollah.”

The army has since arrested several people involved in the provocations.

In statement, it said that it carried out the arrests after “some citizens, riding on motorcycles, rode around several Lebanese regions while carrying party flags, firing gunshots and chanting provocative slogans.”

It added that it deployed patrols to “prevent the undermining of security and stability”, calling on the people to “act responsibly to protect national unity and coexistence.”

Head of the Free Patriotic Movement MP Gebran Bassil – a former Hezbollah ally – condemned the provocations. The residents of the South were “heroic” as they returned to their homes on Sunday, while “sectarian provocations that night only served to tarnish this heroism,” he said in a post on the X platform.

He added that the sectarian provocations only serve to “deepen the divisions and advocates of this division. Extremism only leads to extremism and Lebanon will be the loser in the end.”

After meeting Aoun on Monday, head of the Kataeb Party MP Sami Gemayel remarked: “Our positive statements and openness are met with scenes we saw in Beirut on Sunday night.”

Asked if he believed the provocations were aimed at pressuring the government to include the “army, people and resistance” term in its statement, he responded: “I don’t think anyone in Lebanon can still be affected by this form of pressure.”

“We have faith in the army and state that are doing their duties” in ensuring the residents of the South return to their homes, he added. “This issue should not be exploited for political gain.”

The Kataeb later issued a statement to condemn Hezbollah’s “flagrant sectarian” provocations in Beirut. “Once again, it returns to its old domineering practices against the people, spreading chaos and stirring instability after all of its political and military goals failed and after the slogans it had long promoted turned out to be empty.”

The Lebanese Forces also slammed the provocations, saying they are part of a “wide Hezbollah campaign aimed at demonstrating that the developments in the South were a major victory for the so-called resistance, completely overlooking the 22 martyrs who were the victims of its ongoing adventures.”



How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)

As Hamas moves to strike armed gangs operating in areas of the Gaza Strip under Israeli army control, the groups are responding with defiance, stepping up efforts to recruit young men and expand their ranks.

Videos posted on social media show training exercises and other activities, signaling that the gangs remain active despite pressure from Hamas security services.

Platforms affiliated with Hamas security say some members have recently turned themselves in following mediation by families, clans and community leaders. The gangs have not responded to those statements. Instead, they occasionally broadcast footage announcing new recruits.

Among the most prominent was Hamza Mahra, a Hamas activist who appeared weeks ago in a video released by the Shawqi Abu Nasira gang, which operates north of Khan Younis and east of Deir al-Balah.

Mahra’s appearance has raised questions about how these groups recruit members inside the enclave.

Field sources and others within the security apparatus of a Palestinian armed faction in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that Mahra’s case may be an exception. They described him as a Hamas activist with no major role, despite his grandfather being among the founders of Hamas in Jabalia.

His decision to join the gang was driven by personal reasons linked to a family dispute, they said, not by organizational considerations.

The sources said the gangs exploit severe economic hardship, luring some young men with money, cigarettes and other incentives. Some recruits were heavily indebted and fled to gang-controlled areas to avoid repaying creditors.

Others joined in search of narcotic pills, the sources said, noting that some had previously been detained by Hamas-run security forces on similar charges. Economic hardship and the need for cigarettes and drugs were among the main drivers of recruitment, they added, saying the gangs, with Israeli backing, provide such supplies.

Resentment toward Hamas has also played a role, particularly among those previously arrested on criminal or security grounds and subjected to what the sources described as limited torture during interrogations under established procedures.

According to the sources, some founders or current leaders of the gangs previously served in the Palestinian Authority security services.

They cited Shawqi Abu Nasira, a senior police officer; Hussam al-Astal, an officer in the Preventive Security Service; and Rami Helles and Ashraf al-Mansi, both former officers in the Palestinian Presidential Guard.

These figures, the sources said, approach young men in need and at times succeed in recruiting them by promising help in settling debts and providing cigarettes. They also tell recruits that joining will secure them a future role in security forces that would later govern Gaza.

The sources described the case of a young man who surrendered to Gaza security services last week. He said he had been pressured after a phone call with a woman who threatened to publish the recording unless he joined one of the gangs.

He later received assurances from another contact that he would help repay some of his debts and ultimately agreed to enlist.

During questioning, he said the leader of the gang he joined east of Gaza City repeatedly assured recruits they would be “part of the structure of any Palestinian security force that will rule the sector.”

The young man told investigators he was unconvinced by those assurances, as were dozens of others in the same group.

Investigations of several individuals who surrendered, along with field data, indicate the gangs have carried out armed missions on behalf of the Israeli army, including locating tunnels. That has led to ambushes by Palestinian factions.

In the past week, clashes in the Zaytoun neighborhood south of Gaza City and near al-Masdar east of Deir al-Balah left gang members dead and wounded.

Some investigations also found that the gangs recruited young men previously involved in looting humanitarian aid.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.