Israel Transfers Military Equipment, Winter Quarters to its Forces in Syria

Israeli trucks cut off a buffer zone between Syria and Israel at the town of Majdal Shams in the occupied Golan Heights (EPA) 
Israeli trucks cut off a buffer zone between Syria and Israel at the town of Majdal Shams in the occupied Golan Heights (EPA) 
TT

Israel Transfers Military Equipment, Winter Quarters to its Forces in Syria

Israeli trucks cut off a buffer zone between Syria and Israel at the town of Majdal Shams in the occupied Golan Heights (EPA) 
Israeli trucks cut off a buffer zone between Syria and Israel at the town of Majdal Shams in the occupied Golan Heights (EPA) 

The Israeli Army is preparing for a longer and indefinite stay in the Syrian territories, which it invaded on December 8 following the fall of the Bashar Al-Assad regime.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Israeli army said it was sending insulated structures and equipment for its forces to reside in the Syrian Hermon area during the harsh winter weather.

“As part of the logistical effort, equipment was provided to support the troops’ stay in severe weather conditions, with unique adaptations to the extreme weather conditions in the area,” the army statement read.

The army provided infrastructure and equipment capable of withstanding various weather conditions, including temporary structures with additional insulation against the cold, heating devices, generators, and a water heating system.

It also offered a specialized medical facility for treating cold-related injuries equipped with appropriate medical devices, as well as kitchens and a dining room to enable the provision of hot meals for the soldiers.

“Thousands of winter items were distributed to the soldiers in the region, with an emphasis on specialized equipment for snowy conditions, including heating packs, coats, storm suits, and winter boots,” the army statement said.

Israel still occupies the Syrian Golan Heights since the October war of 1973. Today, Israeli settlements control 95% of the land of the Golan Heights. Since the fall of Assad’s regime, Israel has occupied 600 km of Syrian territory.

The Israeli army spoke about a “temporary” stay in the Syrian side of Mount Hermon, where its troops have been deployed since last month. But the provision of structures and equipment to reside on the mountain during the harsh winter weather indicates that the army will remain there indefinitely.

The Israeli army is also systematically confiscating huge quantities of weapons and ammunition, which the Syrian army left behind, including tanks, guns, armored vehicles, anti-tank missiles, binoculars and others.

Earlier this month, roughly 30 Israeli soldiers, supported by three bulldozers and three tanks, had infiltrated in the Badaa town, located about 20 kilometers from the Mezzeh Military Airport, northeast Mount Hermon on the border between Syria and Lebanon.

The soldiers began digging trenches and established a dirt road along the Israeli border toward Al-Dureiat area, where they destroyed a farmland with bulldozers.

Israeli forces also deployed reinforcements to Al-Jazeera barracks in Ma'ariya village, in the Daraa countryside, near the Syrian-Jordanian border. They installed high concrete barriers and paved all the roads leading to the barracks.

Sources said that for the first time, the Israeli army begun conducting armored patrols on the foothills at the base of the strategic Mount Hermon on the Syria-Lebanon border.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.