US Strikes Target Houthi Hideouts in Sanaa, Saada

US President Donald Trump has ordered a decisive military offensive against the Houthis, vowing to deploy “lethal force” to eliminate the group. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump has ordered a decisive military offensive against the Houthis, vowing to deploy “lethal force” to eliminate the group. (Reuters)
TT

US Strikes Target Houthi Hideouts in Sanaa, Saada

US President Donald Trump has ordered a decisive military offensive against the Houthis, vowing to deploy “lethal force” to eliminate the group. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump has ordered a decisive military offensive against the Houthis, vowing to deploy “lethal force” to eliminate the group. (Reuters)

The US military campaign ordered by President Donald Trump against Yemen’s Houthi group entered its tenth day, following a series of concentrated strikes on the capital, Sanaa, and their northern stronghold of Saada.

The Iran-backed group has remained silent on its losses, including the fate of targeted leaders and military capabilities, in an apparent bid to maintain the morale of its supporters.

The escalation came after the collapse of the second phase of a truce between Hamas and Israel in Gaza.

In response, US President Donald Trump ordered a decisive military offensive against the Houthis, vowing to deploy “lethal force” to eliminate the group.

However, Yemeni observers remain skeptical about the effectiveness of the strikes if they continue at the same pace as those carried out during Joe Biden’s administration.

Intense overnight airstrikes on Sunday targeted Houthi hideouts and a military storage facility west of Sanaa, amid speculation that senior figures may have been hit.

The group claimed the strikes hit a residential building in the Asr neighborhood of the capital’s Maeen district, killing one person and wounding 15 others, including women and children.

In Saada, the group’s media outlets reported four airstrikes on the outskirts of the city, followed by two more in the Sahar and Saqin districts.

The latest raids extended a series of strikes on the rugged northern province in recent days.

Analysts suggest the attacks likely targeted fortified sites housing advanced military capabilities—such as missiles and drones—along with experts overseeing their deployment.

Since the launch of the latest US military campaign, Washington has provided few details on specific Houthi targets but insists the strikes are ongoing around the clock, aimed at safeguarding maritime navigation in the Red Sea.

During Biden’s administration, US and British forces carried out approximately 1,000 airstrikes on Houthi positions between January 12, 2024, and the start of the Gaza truce.

Despite the sustained bombardment, the group continued its attacks, which Washington says are backed by Iran.

Over 100 strikes

The Houthis have faced more than 100 air and naval strikes since March 15, targeting fortified positions in Sanaa, Saada, Marib, Al-Jawf, Al-Bayda, Dhamar, and Hajjah, as well as various locations in the Red Sea coastal province of Hodeidah.

In response, the Houthis fired five ballistic missiles toward Israel since last Tuesday, all of which the Israeli military said were intercepted without causing damage.

The group also claimed to have launched six missile and drone attacks on the USS Harry S. Truman aircraft carrier and its accompanying vessels since the strikes began. The US military has not commented on these claims.

Since joining the conflict against Israel after October 7, 2023, the Houthis have launched around 200 missiles and drones.

The attacks have had little military impact, except for a drone explosion in an apartment on June 19 that killed one person.

Yemeni officials fear potential Israeli retaliatory strikes on Houthi-controlled areas, similar to five waves of attacks last year that targeted infrastructure in Sanaa and Hodeidah, including the airport, seaport, and power stations.

Between November 2023 and the Gaza ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, the Houthis claimed responsibility for attacking 211 vessels.

After the ceasefire took effect on January 19, the group announced a halt to its maritime and missile attacks on Israel. However, it resumed operations following the breakdown of the truce’s second phase.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.