Hamas Official to Asharq Al-Awsat: We Take Israeli Threats Seriously, Gaza Already Occupied

A Palestinian surveys destruction from an Israeli strike in Nuseirat, central Gaza, on Wednesday (DPA)
A Palestinian surveys destruction from an Israeli strike in Nuseirat, central Gaza, on Wednesday (DPA)
TT

Hamas Official to Asharq Al-Awsat: We Take Israeli Threats Seriously, Gaza Already Occupied

A Palestinian surveys destruction from an Israeli strike in Nuseirat, central Gaza, on Wednesday (DPA)
A Palestinian surveys destruction from an Israeli strike in Nuseirat, central Gaza, on Wednesday (DPA)

Hamas said on Wednesday it was taking Israeli threats to reoccupy Gaza “very seriously,” as Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu prepared to present a controversial plan to his war cabinet that could see the army retake control of the battered Palestinian enclave nearly 10 months into the war.

A senior Hamas official told Asharq Al-Awsat the group was closely watching Israeli military and political maneuvers amid speculation that Netanyahu may use the reoccupation proposal to appease far-right allies and ramp up pressure on Hamas to soften its demands in ceasefire negotiations.

“The occupation has already been in control of Gaza by land, sea and air,” said Dr. Basem Naim, a member of Hamas’s political bureau in Gaza. “Israel has invaded every inch of the Strip over the past 22 months and failed to achieve any of its goals. What more can it do beyond more killing, hunger and destruction?”

Netanyahu is expected to present the reoccupation plan to the security cabinet on Thursday and will ask military chief Eyal Zamir to lay out operational options. But Zamir reportedly opposes full-scale reoccupation, favoring limited incursions and a strategy of isolating Hamas strongholds while avoiding harm to Israeli hostages still believed to be held in Gaza.

Israeli forces have already fought in most areas of Gaza since the war began in October 2023. Troops currently remain in parts of Gaza City’s eastern suburbs, including Shujaiya, Zeitoun, and Tuffah, where heavy shelling and destruction have displaced tens of thousands.

On Wednesday, new evacuation orders were issued for residents in areas west of Khan Younis and parts of southern Gaza City, including Sabra and the southern portion of Zeitoun. Israel instructed civilians to move to al-Mawasi, a declared “humanitarian zone” that has nonetheless been repeatedly targeted during the conflict.

Hebrew-language media reported that the Israeli military is considering a fresh ground push into the western parts of Gaza City – areas now teeming with displaced civilians from the north and east of the Strip. The Israeli army has already carried out multiple raids into those areas, heavily damaging civilian infrastructure, including the Shifa Medical Complex.

Israel has also threatened to expand its operations into central Gaza, particularly the refugee camps where only limited ground raids have occurred so far. Much of the rest of the region has been subject to sustained aerial and artillery bombardment.

A Hamas official inside Gaza, speaking on condition of anonymity, accused Israel of rehashing failed policies under the guise of a new military strategy.

“If Israel intends to reoccupy Gaza now, what has it been doing all along?” the official asked. “This only confirms the failure of its military campaign despite Netanyahu’s claims that victory is near.”

“We do not respond to threats based on media narratives. We act according to battlefield conditions,” he added. “If they want an open-ended war, we are ready. If they want negotiations, we are also open to talks to spare our people further suffering.”

The official accused Israel of pursuing a scorched-earth campaign aimed at erasing all aspects of life in Gaza: “The occupation does nothing but kill people and destroy stone.”

The reoccupation threats come amid growing signs that Netanyahu’s push may be partly aimed at placating far-right cabinet members and partly designed to pressure Hamas back to the negotiating table.

“There are no contacts to resume talks at the moment,” said Naim, who is involved in Hamas’s negotiations over a possible ceasefire and hostage deal. “All we hear are threats of further escalation.”

He said Hamas submitted its latest proposal to mediators two weeks ago and was still waiting for an official Israeli response. “We told mediators that there is no point in negotiating under famine and death,” he said.

Sources in Hamas and other Palestinian factions told Asharq Al-Awsat that communication with mediators had continued but yielded “no significant breakthrough” that could revive stalled talks.

According to those sources, US backing for Netanyahu’s hardline stance has further complicated efforts to reach a deal. “The American-Israeli position raises serious doubts about their intention to conclude any agreement, despite public statements claiming concern for the hostages’ release,” one source said.

Humanitarian Toll Mounts

Meanwhile, Gaza’s humanitarian crisis continues to deepen.

The strip’s health ministry said 138 Palestinians were killed and 771 wounded in the past 24 hours, bringing the death toll since the war began to 61,158, with 151,442 wounded.

Of those, 9,654 have died since Israel resumed its offensive on March 18 following a two-month pause in fighting.

Deaths linked to hunger and malnutrition are also on the rise. The ministry reported five such fatalities on Tuesday, raising the total to 193, including 96 children, since October.

Among those killed in recent days were dozens waiting for aid deliveries. The ministry said 87 bodies and 570 wounded had arrived at Gaza hospitals in the past 24 hours from among those awaiting humanitarian assistance. That brings the toll in that group alone to 1,655 killed and 11,800 injured since the end of May.

Images from Gaza showed people weeping at funerals, others carrying water buckets under a scorching sun, and neighborhoods flattened by air strikes.

Despite the worsening conditions, Israel insists its military operations will continue. For many Gazans, the threat of reoccupation is not just political theater – it’s a grim extension of a war that shows no sign of ending.



Libya PM Undergoes 'Successful' Treatment at Heart Hospital

Head of Libya's Government of National Unity (GNU) Abdulhamid Dbeibah. (GNU)
Head of Libya's Government of National Unity (GNU) Abdulhamid Dbeibah. (GNU)
TT

Libya PM Undergoes 'Successful' Treatment at Heart Hospital

Head of Libya's Government of National Unity (GNU) Abdulhamid Dbeibah. (GNU)
Head of Libya's Government of National Unity (GNU) Abdulhamid Dbeibah. (GNU)

Libya's Prime Minister Abdulhamid Dbeibah has undergone "successful" treatment at a heart hospital, his office said Saturday, but his specific ailment was not disclosed.

"I assure you that I am fine, by God's grace," said a statement posted on social media overnight.

The treatment was carried out at a facility in the northwestern Libyan city of Misrata on an undisclosed date, said AFP.

Dbeibah said he later travelled abroad for "additional medical checkups for reassurance", though this was not the primary reason for his trip.

Italian media outlets previously reported he had been admitted to a leading cardiac facility in Milan on Thursday for a general check-up.

"The matter is simply that I underwent some additional medical checkups for reassurance while I was abroad due to a prior external commitment," he said.

"The results confirmed the success of the treatment I received in Libya, praise be to God."

The prime minister leads a UN-recognized government based in Tripoli that controls western Libya, while the country's east is run by another administration backed by military strongman Khalifa Haftar.

Libya has remained divided since chaos erupted following the 2011 Arab Spring uprising that toppled longtime leader Muammar Gaddafi.


Eight Hezbollah Members Killed in Israel’s Friday Strikes on Lebanon

A bulldozer clears debris near heavily-damaged buildings in the village of Bednayel in Lebanon's eastern Bekaa Valley region on February 21, 2026, following Israeli strikes. (AFP)
A bulldozer clears debris near heavily-damaged buildings in the village of Bednayel in Lebanon's eastern Bekaa Valley region on February 21, 2026, following Israeli strikes. (AFP)
TT

Eight Hezbollah Members Killed in Israel’s Friday Strikes on Lebanon

A bulldozer clears debris near heavily-damaged buildings in the village of Bednayel in Lebanon's eastern Bekaa Valley region on February 21, 2026, following Israeli strikes. (AFP)
A bulldozer clears debris near heavily-damaged buildings in the village of Bednayel in Lebanon's eastern Bekaa Valley region on February 21, 2026, following Israeli strikes. (AFP)

Attacks carried out by Israel on Friday in eastern Lebanon killed eight members of Hezbollah, an official from the group told AFP on Saturday.

Lebanon's health ministry said Friday that a total of 10 people were killed in strikes that hit the eastern Bekaa region.

The Israeli military said it targeted "several terrorists of Hezbollah's missile array in three different command centers in the Baalbek area".

Lebanon's president on Saturday condemned the attacks, the latest despite a ceasefire with Hezbollah.

In a statement, Joseph Aoun called the attacks "a blatant act of aggression aimed at thwarting diplomatic efforts" by the United States and other nations to establish stability.

A lawmaker from Hezbollah called on Beirut to suspend meetings of a multinational committee tasked with monitoring the truce.

Washington is one of five members on the committee overseeing the ceasefire implemented in November 2024, with the body scheduled to meet again next week.

Israel has repeatedly bombed Lebanon despite the ceasefire, usually saying it is targeting Hezbollah but occasionally also the group's Palestinian ally Hamas.

The Friday attacks on southern and eastern Lebanon killed 12 people, according to the health ministry, 10 of them in the east of the country.

Israel's military said it struck "several terrorists of Hezbollah's missile array in three different command centers in the Baalbek area".

Hezbollah said a commander was killed in the raids. Its lawmaker Rami Abu Hamdan said on Saturday the group "will not accept the authorities acting as mere political analysts, dismissing these as Israeli strikes we have grown accustomed to before every meeting of the committee".

He called on Beirut to "suspend the committee's meetings until the enemy ceases its attacks".

Hezbollah, while weakened following war with Israel, remains a strong political force in Lebanon represented in parliament.

Lebanon's government last year committed to disarming the Iran-backed group, with the army saying last month it had completed the first phase of the plan covering the area near the Israeli border.

Israel, which accuses Hezbollah of rearming since the war, has called the Lebanese army's progress on disarming the group insufficient.


Ramadan’s First Friday Prayers Are Held at Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa Mosque

Palestinians worshippers gather at Al-Aqsa Mosque compound for the first Friday prayers during the holy month of Ramadan, in the Old City of Jerusalem, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
Palestinians worshippers gather at Al-Aqsa Mosque compound for the first Friday prayers during the holy month of Ramadan, in the Old City of Jerusalem, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Ramadan’s First Friday Prayers Are Held at Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa Mosque

Palestinians worshippers gather at Al-Aqsa Mosque compound for the first Friday prayers during the holy month of Ramadan, in the Old City of Jerusalem, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
Palestinians worshippers gather at Al-Aqsa Mosque compound for the first Friday prayers during the holy month of Ramadan, in the Old City of Jerusalem, 20 February 2026. (EPA)

Tens of thousands of Palestinians gathered under heavy Israeli restrictions at Jerusalem's Al-Aqsa Mosque compound for the first Friday prayers of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, including some who were allowed to enter from the occupied West Bank.

The Ramadan prayers at Al-Aqsa took place for the first time since a shaky ceasefire deal between Israel and Hamas went into effect in October. It was the first opportunity many had to leave the West Bank and pray at the site in Jerusalem’s Old City since Ramadan last year.

Israel restricted the number of Palestinians allowed to enter from the West Bank to 10,000 on Friday, and only allowed men over 55 and women over 50 as well as children up to 12. It has imposed similar restrictions in the past, citing security concerns.

The hilltop, which Jews refer to as the Temple Mount, is the holiest site in Judaism and was home to the ancient biblical temples. Muslims call the site the Noble Sanctuary. Today it is home to Al-Aqsa Mosque, the third-holiest site in Islam.

It has frequently been a flashpoint in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Israeli police said more than 3,000 police were deployed across Jerusalem. They said their presence was not meant to show aggression or force but was aimed at providing help in case of an emergency.

Many Palestinians view the heightened Israeli security presence, and increasing visits by religious and nationalist Israeli Jews, as a provocation. They fear that Israel intends to take over or partition the compound. The Israeli government denies having any such plans.

Jerusalem’s Islamic Waqf, the Jordanian religious authority that administers the compound, said there were 80,000 in attendance. In normal times, Ramadan Friday prayers at Al-Aqsa can draw up to 200,000.

Ezaldeen Mustafah, a Palestinian from the West Bank, was among those lamenting the restrictions.

“We need more people than this,” he said.

Some Palestinians from the West Bank on Friday said they were turned away from crossing into Jerusalem even though they had permits. Jihad Bisharat said he was told his permit had been canceled and was sent back. Israel's army didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Old City, home to major religious sites sacred to Jews, Christians and Muslims, is in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in the 1967 Mideast war, along with the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. The Palestinians want all three territories for a future state with its capital in east Jerusalem. Israel annexed east Jerusalem, a move not recognized by most of the international community, and considers the entire city to be its capital.

Ramadan in Gaza

Many Palestinians said the month’s typically festive spirit is eluding them as they struggle with grief and losses following two years of conflict in Gaza sparked by Hamas' Oct. 7, 2023, attack into Israel.

“All the mosques have been bombed,” said Ramiz Firwana, a Gaza resident who gathered with other worshippers for a Friday sermon and prayers held in schoolyard.

On Thursday evening, families sat amid the rubble and destruction for iftar, the meal held at the end of the daily dawn-to-dusk fast.

“Despite the displacement, the pain and the destruction, we want to rejoice and live,” said Mohammad Kollab, from Khan Younis. “We are not a people destined only for destruction and killing."

Israel’s military offensive has killed more than 72,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry, and caused widespread destruction and displaced most of the territory’s residents. Israel launched the offensive after Hamas-led militants killed some 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and took another 251 hostage in the initial attack.

The Oct. 10 US-brokered ceasefire deal has brought an end to major military operations and the release of the remaining hostages. But Palestinians, including many civilians, are still being killed in near-daily strikes that Israel says are aimed at militants who threaten or attack its forces.