Lebanon Attempting to Contain its Latest Crisis Ahead of Barrack Visit

President Joseph Aoun visits a soldier in hospital where he is receiving treatment to injuries sustained during the dismantling munitions in an arms depot on Saturday. (Lebanese Presidency)
President Joseph Aoun visits a soldier in hospital where he is receiving treatment to injuries sustained during the dismantling munitions in an arms depot on Saturday. (Lebanese Presidency)
TT

Lebanon Attempting to Contain its Latest Crisis Ahead of Barrack Visit

President Joseph Aoun visits a soldier in hospital where he is receiving treatment to injuries sustained during the dismantling munitions in an arms depot on Saturday. (Lebanese Presidency)
President Joseph Aoun visits a soldier in hospital where he is receiving treatment to injuries sustained during the dismantling munitions in an arms depot on Saturday. (Lebanese Presidency)

Lebanon is attempting to tackle its latest crisis after the government decided last week on limiting possession of weapons in the country to the state, putting it at odds with Hezbollah that is refusing to disarm despite local and international pressure.

Efforts are underway to contain the crisis ahead of US envoy Thomas Barrack’s visit to the country later this month.

The government last week approved Barrack’s proposal to tackle Hezbollah's weapons arsenal and tasked the army with coming up with a disarmament plan.

President Joseph Aoun has been insisting on American guarantees that obligate Israel to fulfill its part of Barrack’s proposal which is related to its withdrawal from occupied Lebanese territories.

Ministerial sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that Aoun’s position is “clear and decisive” over the issue of the state’s monopoly over arms, as well as obligating Israel to fulfill its commitments.

Lebanon has demanded that Israel withdraw from occupied areas, cease its violations of Lebanese sovereignty and release detainees. It also wants people displaced from last year’s war between Israel and Hezbollah to be allowed to return to their homes, as well as the launch of reconstruction of regions destroyed in the conflict.

Meeting these demands will reassure Shiite ministers who withdrew from last week’s government meeting in protest against the decision to limit the possession of arms to the state.

The government is scheduled to meet again next week. Until then, efforts are underway to address the fallout from its disarmament decision.

Asharq Al-Awsat learned that the Shiite ministers will attend next week’s meeting, which will tackle services issues.

Meanwhile, Aoun is following up on the army’s efforts to come up with an executive plan on how to limit the possession of weapons to the state. Sources said the army has until the end of the month to come up with one.

Aoun, a former army commander, visited the Defense Ministry on Monday to offer his condolences over the death of six soldiers who were killed while dismantling munitions in an arms depot in southern Lebanon on Saturday.

The incident occurred on the edge of the southern village of Zibqin in Tyre province, the army said. It added that efforts were being made to determine the cause of the blast but gave no further details. The depot is believed to have been used by Hezbollah.

On Monday, Aoun met with Defense Minister Michel Menassa and Army Commander Rodolphe Haykal to discuss the government’s decision last week.

Meanwhile in a notable development on Sunday, Finance Minister Yassine Jaber, one of the Shiite ministers, voiced his support for the government decision, saying: “Our priority lies in building the state and strengthening all of its institutions, starting with the army and all military forces.”

“They alone must have monopoly over arms, as declared in the government’s policy statement,” he stressed.

“Will the others allow us to build the state that we are aspiring to? Will Israel cease its violations? Are there guarantees that it will stop its attacks and commit to withdrawing to the borders so that the army can impose its authority?” he asked.

On the other side of the divide, Hezbollah has vehemently rejected the government’s decision. In its latest attack on the government, MP Ihab Hamadeh accused it of violating “national norms”.

“The people will rise up against the government and topple it. It won’t even last until next year’s parliamentary elections,” he added.

“We vow to the loyal supporters that the resistance [Hezbollah] will not hand over a single bullet of its arsenal,” he declared.



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.