Lebanon Worried about Possible Security Unrest Along Syria Border 

Lebanese soldiers during the battles in Jroud Arsal in 2017. (Army Command)
Lebanese soldiers during the battles in Jroud Arsal in 2017. (Army Command)
TT

Lebanon Worried about Possible Security Unrest Along Syria Border 

Lebanese soldiers during the battles in Jroud Arsal in 2017. (Army Command)
Lebanese soldiers during the battles in Jroud Arsal in 2017. (Army Command)

Tensions have been high along the Lebanese-Syrian border amid reports of forces being amassed in both countries.

Stoking the tensions were Lebanese media circulating a document from the Army Command that spoke of extremists gathering along the Syrian side of the border.

Dated August 10, the document said the extremists were planning on kidnapping Lebanese soldiers in the Bekaa and North to later swap them for Islamists held in Lebanese jails.

Security sources confirmed to Asharq Al-Awsat the authenticity of the document.

The document also showed that army units and military intelligence were requested to take extra precautions and bolster security, especially at night, and to report any suspicious activity on either side of the border.

At the same time the document was released, rumors emerged that the Lebanese air forces had breached Syrian skies to detect suspicious movement, sparking tensions with Syria.

The Army Command was quick to dismiss the claims, saying they were “baseless” and that “military units were monitoring the situation at the border and taking the necessary measures to secure and protect them.”

“Coordination is ongoing with the Syrian authorities to follow up on any development,” it stressed in a statement.

It called against circulating false news and to only resort to official military statements to obtain accurate information.

Hezbollah benefits

Lebanon’s former Internal Security Forces chief MP Ashraf Rifi also dismissed claims about security threats from Syria, saying that Hezbollah would gain the most from such rumors to justify holding on to its weapons.

The Lebanese government had earlier this month agreed to the disarmament of all armed groups in Lebanon in an attempt to impose state monopoly over weapons.

Rifi told Asharq Al-Awsat that Hezbollah is “adopting Israeli claims that Syria wants to annex parts of Lebanon in return for Syria abandoning the Golan Heights to Israel.”

“Hezbollah has an interest in supporting claims about threats from the east to strike fears in Christians and other segments of society and convince them that it should maintain its weapons arsenal so that it can confront the imminent danger from Syria,” he explained.

“The new Syrian regime has been very clear; it has openly said that it recognizes Lebanon as an independent state and that it was ready to demarcate the border and secure it to prevent any breach that threatens Lebanon and its people,” Rifi stressed.

Alert level raised

Lebanese military units and security forces deployed along the border have raised their alert level, especially in wake of the violence that erupted in Syria’s predominantly Druze southern province of Sweida in recent months.

Calls had been made in Lebanon to send fighters to support the various rival parties there.

A Lebanese security source acknowledged the tensions along the border, but said they have been exaggerated.

It told Asharq Al-Awsat that the army is on alert and deploying patrols to prevent any breach from either side of the border.

Contacts are ongoing on a daily basis between the neighbors to tackle any development, it stressed.

The Syrian side of the border has also been on alert since the ouster of Bashar al-Assad's regime in December and the announcement that dozens of its members had fled to Lebanon.

Syria’s new rulers have accused Hezbollah of sheltering them in Lebanon and being involved in the Syria coastal clashes earlier this year that pit remnants of the regime against the new authorities in a failed coup attempt.

Lebanese former minister Wiam Wahhab also declared the establishment of a military unit that was ready to go to Sweida to fight. Concerns have been high in Lebanon that the violence there could spread to its own territories, forcing Hezbollah and clans in the Bekaa to go on alert.

The security source acknowledged that military and security units were deployed along the border with Syria, including fighters from the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham group and official security forces.

Rallying Shiites

Clashes had erupted on the Lebanese-Syrian border in late June leaving casualties and injuries from both sides. Fighters from the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham managed to enter the town of Hosh al-Sayyed in the Lebanese Bekaa and expel Hezbollah fighters there. The army soon intervened and forced the Syrians out.

Residents of border areas fear a repeat of the violence amid unconfirmed reports that groups loyal to Maher al-Assad, Bashar’s brother, were working in coordination with Hezbollah to spark a confrontation with the Syrian army.

Security and military expert Khalil al-Helo said: “At the moment, the conditions on the ground indicate that Syria has no intention of opening a front with Lebanon.”

“The Syrian state is too preoccupied with its own internal affairs and in preventing tensions from erupting, such as the unrest in Sweida,” he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

“It is focused on reconstruction and attracting investments, especially after the US lifted its sanctions and Saudi investors became involved in Syria,” he added.

Hezbollah has warned of “an impending danger from Syria in an attempt to rally its Shiite supporters and respond to internal and external pressure for it to disarm,” he said.

The Iran-backed party will use the alleged foreign danger “as an excuse to maintain its weapons so that it can use them against the threat from Syria,” he went on to say.

However, all studies and circumstances on the ground do not back up claims of this threat or that the situation on the border was ready to explode, Helo said.

“The escalation only benefits Hezbollah, and it is using it to rally support for keeping its weapons,” he remarked.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.