‘Shiite Duo’ in Lebanon Retracts Call for Protests against Govt Decisions

Soldiers deployed in the southern suburbs of Beirut during a Hezbollah convoy, on Aug. 7, 2025. (AFP)
Soldiers deployed in the southern suburbs of Beirut during a Hezbollah convoy, on Aug. 7, 2025. (AFP)
TT

‘Shiite Duo’ in Lebanon Retracts Call for Protests against Govt Decisions

Soldiers deployed in the southern suburbs of Beirut during a Hezbollah convoy, on Aug. 7, 2025. (AFP)
Soldiers deployed in the southern suburbs of Beirut during a Hezbollah convoy, on Aug. 7, 2025. (AFP)

The “Shiite duo” of Hezbollah and Amal retracted a call for streets protests against the Lebanese government’s decisions to impose state monopoly over weapons, which effectively calls for the disarmament of all armed groups, including Hezbollah.

The allies had called for a “major national stand” on Wednesday in protest against the government’s decision earlier this month but soon postponed it out of a sense of “national responsibly” given the circumstances the country is going through.

They also delayed it at the behest of “national authorities that are keen on unity and stability” and to give way for “deep and constructive dialogue over fateful issues facing our nation.”

The postponement reflects the state of “disarray” within the duo. Asharq Al-Awsat learned that Amal leader and parliament Speaker Nabih Berri is not keen on taking to the street, while the leadership of Iran-backed Hezbollah believes “the time is right for it.”

Berri is hoping to avoid a clash with the government, which had tasked the army with submitting a plan over the monopoly of arms before the end of the month. The cabinet will meet on September 2 to follow up on the issue.

Hezbollah MPs have remained insistent on the government to go back on its decision. Meanwhile, deputy commander of the Quds Force for Iranian Coordination Brigadier General Iraj Masjedi declared on Monday that the disarmament of Hezbollah was a “American -Zionist plot that will never be implemented.”

Pressure from Berri

Parliamentary sources from Berri’s Development and Liberation bloc told Asharq Al-Awsat that the speaker was always against street action to protest the government’s decision and he intervened to stop Wednesday’s rally.

Bloc MP Qassem Hashem said the protest was postponed because US special envoy Tom Barrack was visiting Lebanon and because the duo wanted to avoid a “fifth column intervening in the rally to stir unrest.”

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that the protest call “reflects a certain segment’s rejection” of the government’s decisions.

At the moment, “everyone is awaiting the Israeli response to the American proposals and the government session on September 2 before making any move,” he revealed.

Director of the Institute for Near East and Gulf Military Analysis (INEGMA) Dr. Riad Kahwaji said that Hezbollah and Amal have had divergent stances ever since the government took the disarmament decision.

In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, he noted that Hezbollah has leaned towards escalation and organizing motorcycle convoys, while Amal has said that it was not involved in any of these actions.

It had also said that it opposed Hezbollah’s threat of civil war when its leader Sheikh Naim Qassem warned that there can be “no life in Lebanon” without the party should the government go ahead with the disarmament.

Finance Minister Yassine Jaber, who is associated with Amal, later backed the government’s decision, sparking Hezbollah’s ire.

Kahwaji added: “Berri is evidently still against taking to the streets because the situation could spiral out of control” at a time when Israel is still carrying out attacks against Lebanon.

“Resorting to the streets is illogical and would put the Shiites in Lebanon in danger,” he said.



Reports: US to Withdraw All Troops from Syria

A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
TT

Reports: US to Withdraw All Troops from Syria

A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)

The United States is planning to withdraw all of its 1,000 troops from Syria over the next two months, according to US media reports.

Washington will end its presence in the country after the Syrian government extended its control over the country and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces once key to fighting ISIS pledged to integrate into the state, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Television network CBS also reported on the plan, citing unnamed US officials.

The decision comes after US forces recently withdrew from some bases
in Syria including Al-Tanf and Al-Shadadi, which were used in the US-led international coalition's fight against ISIS, AFP reported.

The US is building up its military capabilities near Iran, where officials have vowed to respond to any attack by laying siege to American military outposts in the region.

US media reported Wednesday that Washington will be ready to launch strikes against Iran as early as this weekend, though Trump has reportedly not made a final decision yet.

The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.


Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
TT

Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa

Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs Anita Anand said on Wednesday that Canada had amended its economic sanctions on Syria ‌to ease ‌restrictions related ‌to the ⁠import and export ⁠of goods, investment activities and the provision of financial and other ⁠services, according to Reuters.

"The amendments also ‌remove ‌24 entities and ‌one individual from ‌the Syria Regulations to reduce barriers to economic activity and ‌to enable transactions with state-affiliated entities ⁠in ⁠key sectors critical to Syria’s recovery," Anand said in a statement.


Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
TT

Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)

The UN’s top envoy for Libya, Hanna Tetteh, has informed the Security Council that despite active United Nations engagement, the Libyan House of Representatives and the High Council of State have failed to make progress on the first steps of the agreed political roadmap, including establishing a mechanism to select the board of the High National Elections Commission (HNEC) and advancing electoral legislation.

Briefing the Council in New York on Wednesday, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General said: “Their inability to use their agreed mechanism and follow-on unilateral actions has further eroded their credibility."

Tetteh added that Libyan public perceptions reflect a growing belief that the bodies are “unable or unwilling” to deliver.

She told Council members that she has begun consultations with key actors on an alternative two-step approach aimed at restoring momentum. Should a smaller group of Libyan representatives fail to agree on the roadmap’s milestones, she warned, a broader convening would be required. “We cannot wait indefinitely,” she emphasized.

The UN envoy also issued a stark warning about escalating tensions within Libya’s judicial system.

She said “contradictory, parallel judicial decisions put into jeopardy the unity of the legal and judicial systems,” cautioning that the situation “is a red line that if crossed can undermine the unity of the state.”

She urged Libyan leaders to refrain from further escalatory steps and called on the Council to hold accountable those taking actions that threaten to fracture the judiciary.

Tetteh also warned that transnational criminal networks continue to expand, turning Libya into a major transit hub for drug trafficking and sustaining illicit economies linked to corruption and armed groups.