Lebanese Army Launches 4th Phase of Palestinian Camps Disarmament

Lebanese army soldiers are seen deployed at the entrace to Burj al-Barajneh camp in Beirut’s southern suburbs. Asharq Al-Awsat
Lebanese army soldiers are seen deployed at the entrace to Burj al-Barajneh camp in Beirut’s southern suburbs. Asharq Al-Awsat
TT

Lebanese Army Launches 4th Phase of Palestinian Camps Disarmament

Lebanese army soldiers are seen deployed at the entrace to Burj al-Barajneh camp in Beirut’s southern suburbs. Asharq Al-Awsat
Lebanese army soldiers are seen deployed at the entrace to Burj al-Barajneh camp in Beirut’s southern suburbs. Asharq Al-Awsat

The Lebanese army on Saturday began implementing the fourth phase of its plan to disarm Palestinian camps, starting with Beddawi in northern Lebanon. The operation is set to last for three days, after which the military will move to Ain al-Hilweh camp in the south.

The Lebanese authorities and the Palestinian Fatah movement have already completed three phases of the plan. The Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) factions were involved in the process, while Hamas has so far not shown any cooperation.

Ambassador Ramez Dimechkie, head of the Lebanese-Palestinian Dialogue Committee, said the decision is “clear and firm in asserting the authority of the state over all Lebanese territories. The camps are not outside this framework.”

He added that dialogue with Hamas regarding the details of the handover mechanisms is ongoing.

Dimechkie explained that the committee expects the disarmament file to be closed completely by the end of this month, in a crucial step toward enhancing security and stability.

From Burj al-Barajneh to the North
The operation, overseen by the army and the relevant committee, officially began in August, starting in Burj al-Barajneh camp in Beirut’s southern suburbs.

It then extended to the Rashidieh, Al-Bass, and Burj al-Shamali camps in Tyre, located south of the Litani River in southern Lebanon. The operation then returned to Burj al-Barajneh again.

This plan is a direct result of an agreement between Lebanese President Joseph Aoun and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on May 21, regarding the process to limit weapons possession to the state.

According to the government's plan, the operation is being conducted in three phases, beginning in Beirut, passing through Tyre’s camps, and finally reaching Beddawi and Ain al-Hilweh in the north and south, respectively. Ain al-Hilweh is seen as the most sensitive part of the operation due to the camp’s size and its complex security environment.

Ain al-Hilweh: The Hardest Test
In recent years, the camp, which lies near Sidon, has witnessed bloody clashes between armed factions. According to analysts, the success of the state in collecting weapons from Ain al-Hilweh would be a decisive indicator of its ability to impose its sovereignty.

As for Beddawi camp in northern Lebanon, it is seen as less tense, but remains an integral part of the government's comprehensive plan to collect weapons from all camps.

Lebanon hosts Palestinian refugees in 12 main camps. Both Lebanese and Palestinian communities hope that the completion of the disarmament process will strengthen state authority and create a more stable environment, paving the way for a comprehensive approach to civil rights for refugees.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.