Geagea to Asharq Al-Awsat: Hezbollah Rejects Any Cooperation, Delays Everything in Lebanon  

Head of the Lebanese Forces party Samir Geagea.
Head of the Lebanese Forces party Samir Geagea.
TT

Geagea to Asharq Al-Awsat: Hezbollah Rejects Any Cooperation, Delays Everything in Lebanon  

Head of the Lebanese Forces party Samir Geagea.
Head of the Lebanese Forces party Samir Geagea.

Head of the Lebanese Forces party Samir Geagea said resolving the crises in the region will require more time, citing “facts, the sequence of events, and the political stances of various parties, particularly the influential international ones such as the United States.”

In an interview with Asharq Al-Awsat, Geagea stressed that developments over the past two years “are ongoing and will continue until a new order is reached.”

As for Lebanon, he said: “The roadmap was crystal clear in the [President Jospeh Aoun’s] swearing in speech and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam’s ministerial statement. There is no need to waste time. We must put our affairs in order.”

While acknowledging that progress is moving “in the right direction,” he argued that it is happening too slowly, placing the blame squarely on Hezbollah and the remnants of the so-called “Resistance axis.”

Geagea accused Hezbollah of “fiercely opposing government decisions, going so far as to threaten civil war and resort to violence whenever the state insists on building a real state with exclusive control over arms.”

He added: “Their rejection of any cooperation in state-building is what obstructs and delays everything in Lebanon. Delays in disarmament prevent the establishment of a functioning state, block economic recovery, and stall reconstruction.”

Weapons as a domestic power card

Geagea admitted that “it is not easy for a group to surrender its weapons if they serve a political purpose.” Yet, he argued that experience has shown “these arms do not change the balance; they only give Hezbollah extra weight in Lebanese politics.”

He questioned the party’s insistence on keeping its arsenal despite its own acknowledgment of a full withdrawal from south of the Litani River, saying: “If they truly intend to pull out, why hold on to the remaining weapons? The answer is clear: these arms serve as leverage in Lebanon’s internal equation and as a card for Iran to claim influence in the country.”

He praised the Lebanese Army’s plan to enforce exclusive state control of arms but wished “its timeline were shorter.”

The plan, he said, ensures that “south of the Litani will be fully demilitarized, and north of the river, there will be no weapons convoys, no armed men, no rocket fire - any such act will be prosecuted by law, unlike in the past.”

He acknowledged progress, but urged faster implementation “to serve the displaced from 30 to 40 destroyed villages in the South.”

Geagea dismissed claims that disarmament in the South is tied to Israeli withdrawal from occupied points, calling it “misleading.”

He said the government’s August 5 decision on monopoly over weapons and the army’s September 5 plan “make no mention of Israel.”

“Building the Lebanese state is not conditional on what Israel does. In fact, Israel benefits most from the current situation, where Hezbollah keeps its weapons and Israel enjoys full freedom of action in Lebanon’s skies,” he stressed.

Geagea warned that Hezbollah is exploiting the Israeli threat to justify retaining its arsenal: “The greatest protection for Hezbollah and the resistance camp is Israel itself. Whenever there’s a crisis, they invoke Israel to silence people. But the best way to face Israeli danger is to build a real Lebanese state.”

Parliamentary elections

On next year’s parliamentary elections, Geagea ruled out their postponement. “We have held elections under far more difficult circumstances. Constitutional deadlines are untouchable. Whatever the conditions, elections must be held,” he urged.

Moreover, he criticized attempts to tie elections to the current electoral law, which he considers unfair to expatriates. The ultimate decision, he said, rests with parliament.

“This is how democracies function. The disaster is when proposals are blocked from reaching the general assembly,” he added.

Asked if he was hinting at parliament Speaker Nabih Berri’s role in obstructing such proposals, Geagea said he will not jump to any conclusions.

He warned that time is running out: “For two months, subcommittees have debated draft laws with no result. These must be referred to the full parliament for a vote.” He expressed concern that proposals might be blocked because a majority in parliament supports them.

Geagea also ridiculed claims by the “Resistance Axis” that they cannot campaign abroad and that expatriates lack voting freedom. “If the law remains as is, with expatriates electing only six MPs, would that suddenly grant them freedom of choice or allow Hezbollah to campaign? Their real fear is that expatriates vote independently, free from pressure. That is why they want to deny them the right to elect all 128 MPs,” he declared.

He argued that the "resistance camp” is clinging to every clause of the electoral law “because their political position is deteriorating, and even losing a seat or two now has major repercussions.”

The new president and government

Geagea expressed optimism about the president and government’s performance. “We are part of this government, and we see a state being rebuilt, albeit not as quickly as we would like. For the first time in years, Lebanon has a surplus of $1.2 billion, whereas in the past it was borrowing $7-8 billion annually to cover its budget,” he remarked.

He noted ongoing reforms, including banking sector regulation, banking secrecy laws, and a forthcoming financial reorganization law.

“Everything is moving in the right direction, though we are not yet where we want to be. We must accelerate to reach the new Lebanon we dream of,” he urged.



Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.


Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.