Yemeni Forces Intercept Military Shipment Headed to Houthis

Some of the confiscated gear that was being smuggled to the Houthis. (EPA)
Some of the confiscated gear that was being smuggled to the Houthis. (EPA)
TT

Yemeni Forces Intercept Military Shipment Headed to Houthis

Some of the confiscated gear that was being smuggled to the Houthis. (EPA)
Some of the confiscated gear that was being smuggled to the Houthis. (EPA)

Yemeni forces seized a vessel off the Lahj coast west of Aden that was loaded with military gear and drone components headed to the Iran-backed Houthi militias.

The bust demonstrates Iran’s continued support to the group that has escalated its attacks in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden.

The Giants Brigades said a joint security operation, led by Brigadier General Hamdi Shukri, commander of the Brigades’ Second Unit, intercepted the shipment. Three smugglers were on board the vessel.

The confiscated shipment included advanced military gear, drone parts, surveillance equipment, advanced electronic chips, high accuracy cameras that are fitted on drones for night and day surveillance, communication devices, remote controls, high-capacity batteries and carbon fibers used in drone manufacturing.

This was the third busted smuggling attempt in recent weeks.

Yemeni authorities had seized a similar shipment in Aden in August that contained espionage devices and drones. A United Nations report at the time had found that the Houthis were involved in a weapons smuggling network that includes the Al-Qaeda in Arabian Peninsula and the extremist Al-Shabaab group in Somalia.

Weeks ago, Yemen’s coast guard seized off the western coast a vessel loaded with over 700 tons of advanced weapons that was headed to areas held by the Houthis.

In a recent report, the London-based Conflict Armament Research said the Houthis had obtained advanced weapons from Iran through sophisticated smuggling networks. Among the weapons were air defense systems, anti-ship missiles and components used in drones.

The weapons shipments seized near the Bab al-Mandeb Strait showed that the majority of the weapons were connected to Iranian networks that had been documented in Iraq, Syria and Lebanon. The report confirmed that such support has allowed the Houthis to expand the scope of their military and air operations, including attacks on commercial vessels in the Red Sea.

The Houthis have carried out over 220 attacks on marine shipping in the past two years. They had started these attacks in solidarity with Palestinians in Gaza since the eruption of the war between Israel and Hamas in October 2023.

Government sources said the frequent busts of smuggling operations demonstrate that the Houthis continue to build an arsenal of advanced naval and air weapons through Iranian support in defiance of UN Security Council resolution and in service of goals that go beyond Yemen.

Information Minister in Yemen’s legitimate government Moammar al-Eryani said the Houthi attacks against commercial ships and oil tankers in international shipping lanes were not acts of solidarity with Gaza as they claim, but rather implementation of an Iranian agenda.

The escalation of these attacks since Hamas’ October 7, 2023, attack reflects Iran’s attempts to consolidate its presence and influence in strategic waterways and it is using the Houthis as a pressure card in its conflict with the international community, he said in official statements.

Moreover, he added that the Houthi attack against a Dutch ship in the Gulf of Aden on September 29 took place just days after European powers reactivated the snapback mechanism, demonstrating that Tehran spurs the Houthis to action to serve its interests.

The Iranian regime is using the militias to extort and threaten the international community whenever it finds itself cornered or when its room to maneuver becomes limited, explained the minister.

As the war on Gaza draws to an end in wake of US President Donald Trump’s peace plane, the world will discover that the Houthis are an arm of Iran’s Wilayet al-Faqih agenda that has nothing to do with the interests of the Yemeni or Palestinian people, he stressed.

He called on the international community, starting with the European Union and UK, to assume their legal and moral responsibilities and designate the Houthis as terrorists who threaten international peace and security.

Eryani also urged support for the legitimate government in its battle to protect marine passages and Yemen’s sovereignty.



Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.


Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.