The Gaza War That Ignited the Long-Deferred Palestinian State Struggle

A demonstrator wearing a hat reading “Free Palestine” takes part in a rally in support of the Palestinian people in the Canary Islands, southwestern Spain (EPA). 
A demonstrator wearing a hat reading “Free Palestine” takes part in a rally in support of the Palestinian people in the Canary Islands, southwestern Spain (EPA). 
TT

The Gaza War That Ignited the Long-Deferred Palestinian State Struggle

A demonstrator wearing a hat reading “Free Palestine” takes part in a rally in support of the Palestinian people in the Canary Islands, southwestern Spain (EPA). 
A demonstrator wearing a hat reading “Free Palestine” takes part in a rally in support of the Palestinian people in the Canary Islands, southwestern Spain (EPA). 

Two years after October 7, 2023 - a date that altered the trajectory of the Israeli–Palestinian and Arab–Israeli conflicts - the pivotal question still looms: Did Hamas’ “Al-Aqsa Flood” operation bring the Palestinian state closer, or did it destroy the possibility entirely?

There is no definitive answer yet, and it will take time for the fate of the desired state to be revealed. Supporters of the attack argue that it secured landmark international recognitions of Palestinian statehood and opened the door to a future state. Detractors counter that the unprecedented suffering, mass casualties, and large-scale devastation wrought by Israel’s retaliation are what compelled international recognition.

“Just a Few Years”

Even now, as Gaza’s fighting gradually subsides and the territory lies in ruins, another war is underway: the diplomatic battle over founding the Palestinian state. This new front began with sweeping Arab and global recognitions, followed by US President Donald Trump’s plan to end the war, an initiative that unexpectedly revived the question of Palestinian sovereignty.

A Palestinian official told Asharq Al-Awsat: “Confidence in establishing the Palestinian state strengthens every day. As President Mahmoud Abbas has said, we believe it is a matter of time... just a few years.” He added: “The world has grown tired of occupation and its practices; the recent recognitions were the locomotive’s initial motion.”

Last month, 158 of the UN’s 193 member states officially recognized the State of Palestine. Recognitions from the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Portugal, Luxembourg, Belgium, France, and others were a direct message to Israel that the time for a Palestinian state has arrived. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu responded bluntly: “There will be no Palestinian state, and we will respond to the latest attempt to impose a terrorist state on us within our own land.”

Israeli Anxiety Behind the Defiance

Netanyahu’s defiance may mask deeper anxieties. In Maariv, analyst Anna Barsky observed that the recent recognitions differ from earlier ones, because they come from capitals not on the fringe of global politics, but from states allied with Washington and long connected to Israel. She described the wave of recognition as a “political earthquake” and a “soft erosion” of Israel’s diplomatic immunity.

Barsky added: “No Palestinian state exists today - there are no new flags, no new borders, no governing structures. And a state will not materialize next week - even after a high-profile recognition event at the UN under joint French–Saudi leadership. Yet the recognitions themselves mark a shift in the rules and signal to Tel Aviv that the clock has begun ticking.”

The Road to a State

Paradoxically, Trump’s plan itself opened a path, however treacherous and uncertain, toward statehood. The document seemed more concerned with governance of Gaza than outright state creation, but the identity of whoever governs Gaza postwar may determine whether statehood is viable.

The plan’s provisions, still being parsed in Ramallah and Tel Aviv, are filled with ambiguity and could be interpreted either as opportunity or trap. PA sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that while recognition is essential, Trump’s plan “sidesteps the question of Gaza’s inclusion within the Palestinian state.” They added that ongoing consultations with Arab states aim to coordinate a transition in Gaza once hostilities cease.

“In the Name of the State of Palestine”

In welcoming Trump’s outline, the Palestinian Authority deliberately issued a statement “in the name of the State of Palestine”, rather than the presidency or government, as is customary. The statement carried dual messages: first, that the PA’s goals surpass the plan itself, aiming toward a just peace based on the two-state framework; and second, that the PA is committed to reforms, pledging to hold presidential and legislative elections within a year after the war, unify security across Gaza and the West Bank, fight corruption, overhaul education, eliminate laws benefiting prisoners’ families, and establish a unified social welfare system.

A Palestinian insider told Asharq Al-Awsat: “The leadership bets on Arab momentum to launch a genuine political track, irrespective of vague plan wording or Netanyahu’s objections.”

Israel Rejects All Things Palestinian

Netanyahu has repeatedly denied agreeing to a Palestinian state, asserting that no representatives of Hamas or the PA would govern Gaza afterward. However, foreign ministers of Arab and Muslim states - including Türkiye and Indonesia - responded by jointly pledging to work toward ending the war, restoring PA control in Gaza, unifying the West Bank and Gaza, setting security frameworks acceptable to all parties, securing full Israeli withdrawal, rebuilding Gaza, and laying groundwork for a fair two-state peace.

 

 



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.