Why the Handover of Israeli Hostage Bodies in Gaza Stalled

Relatives and friends of Israeli soldier Mohammad Alatrash, a sergeant major in the Israeli military's Bedouin Trackers Unit who was killed in combat during Hamas' October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, carry his coffin during his funeral near Beersheba, on October 16, 2025. (Photo by Menahem Kahana / AFP)
Relatives and friends of Israeli soldier Mohammad Alatrash, a sergeant major in the Israeli military's Bedouin Trackers Unit who was killed in combat during Hamas' October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, carry his coffin during his funeral near Beersheba, on October 16, 2025. (Photo by Menahem Kahana / AFP)
TT

Why the Handover of Israeli Hostage Bodies in Gaza Stalled

Relatives and friends of Israeli soldier Mohammad Alatrash, a sergeant major in the Israeli military's Bedouin Trackers Unit who was killed in combat during Hamas' October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, carry his coffin during his funeral near Beersheba, on October 16, 2025. (Photo by Menahem Kahana / AFP)
Relatives and friends of Israeli soldier Mohammad Alatrash, a sergeant major in the Israeli military's Bedouin Trackers Unit who was killed in combat during Hamas' October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, carry his coffin during his funeral near Beersheba, on October 16, 2025. (Photo by Menahem Kahana / AFP)

The handover of Israeli hostage bodies held by Hamas in the Gaza Strip has become mired in complications, mainly over the locations where the captives were lost during their detention.

Several hostages were killed in Israeli airstrikes, according to medical examinations conducted by Israel’s Abu Kabir Forensic Institute, which confirmed the cause of death after testing one of the bodies returned in recent days. Others were kidnapped with critical injuries and later died, while some were abducted already dead.

The Qassam Brigades, Hamas’s armed wing, said late Wednesday it had handed over all bodies whose burial sites were known. Israel, however, disputed the claim, saying the group knows the locations of additional bodies.

Sources from Hamas told Asharq Al-Awsat that the Qassam leadership had delivered the remains it held in certain areas, while others still require an extensive search operation in sites where they may have been buried.

According to the sources, some Palestinian factions had already transferred to the Qassam Brigades the bodies they had been holding, and those were subsequently handed over to Israel.

Explaining why the locations of other bodies remain unknown, the sources said all captives’ whereabouts were initially known to the relevant units within the Qassam Brigades, with regional commanders fully aware of their status.

But the assassinations of key figures responsible for guarding living hostages and remains have complicated technical efforts. Several field commanders overseeing the captives’ protection were killed in recent Israeli strikes before the war ended, the sources said.

They added that while many remains were buried in specific, known locations, Israeli incursions and bulldozing of certain areas had made recovery difficult, as graves were destroyed or mixed with other bodies in makeshift burial sites opened during intense fighting.

The sources said entire residential blocks where Israeli hostages were held were bombed, killing both captives and their guards. The locations of their bodies remain unknown and require heavy equipment to remove rubble and identify remains, a task beyond the capacity of any Palestinian group. That, the sources said, prompted the formation of a joint Turkish-Egyptian-Qatari committee to help locate and identify the bodies once found.

Those responsible for the hostages’ safety - both living and dead - tried to preserve them under a specific protocol, the sources said. But battlefield conditions overwhelmed any organized effort after Israel resumed its offensive on March 18.

The Financial Times reported Thursday that Israel had allowed Turkish rescue workers to enter Gaza to help recover the bodies of Israeli hostages. The paper quoted sources as saying the move was approved despite long-standing tensions between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s administration and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government.

Ankara will send rescue teams to assist in emergency operations, including searches for the remains of Israeli captives, the paper said.

The development came as Netanyahu reaffirmed his commitment to recovering the remains of all captives held by Hamas, a day after his defense minister threatened to resume the assault on Gaza.

Israel has accused Hamas of violating the ceasefire agreement, which stipulates the return of all hostages - living and dead - within 72 hours of the truce taking effect, by Monday noon.

The Hostages and Missing Families Forum on Thursday urged the Israeli government to delay further phases of the deal with Hamas unless the group hands over the remaining 19 bodies.

The group said the government must immediately halt implementation of any further stages of the agreement as long as Hamas continues its blatant violation of its commitments regarding the return of all hostages and victims’ bodies.

Under the deal, Hamas released 20 living hostages in exchange for about 2,000 Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails but handed over only nine of the 28 bodies of captives who died in custody.

Marking the second anniversary of the Oct. 7, 2023, attack, Netanyahu said: “The struggle is not over, but one thing is clear today: Anyone who raises a hand against us already knows he will pay a very heavy price for his aggression.”

Netanyahu said Israel was “committed to bringing back every last” hostage.



Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Australia has barred one of its citizens from returning home from a Syrian detention camp because of security concerns, the government said Wednesday.

The unidentified person is among a group of 34 Australian women and children at the Roj camp related to suspected members of ISIS.

"I can confirm that one individual in this cohort has been issued a temporary exclusion order, which was made on advice from security agencies," Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said in a statement sent to AFP.

"At this stage security agencies have not provided advice that other members of the cohort meet the required legal thresholds for temporary exclusion orders."

The minister can make temporary exclusion orders lasting up to two years to prevent terrorist activities or politically motivated violence.

The Australians were released from the camp on Monday but failed to reach the capital Damascus on their way home, a Kurdish official told AFP in Syria.

The official said they were turned back to the detention camp, citing "poor coordination" with the Syrian authorities.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese underscored his government's refusal to help repatriate the women and children.

"You make your bed, you lie in it," he said, accusing the group of aligning with an ideology that seeks to "undermine and destroy our way of life".

"We are doing nothing to repatriate or to assist these people," he told reporters Wednesday.

"I think it's unfortunate that children are caught up in this. That's not their decision but it's the decision of their parents or their mother."

The humanitarian organization Save the Children Australia filed a lawsuit in 2023 on behalf of 11 women and 20 children in Syria, seeking their repatriation.

But the Federal Court ruled against Save the Children, saying the Australian government did not control their detention in Syria.


Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.


Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.