Armed Clashes Erupt in Libya’s Misrata for First Time Since 2011

Government security forces restore control in Misrata (Social media pages in Misrata)
Government security forces restore control in Misrata (Social media pages in Misrata)
TT

Armed Clashes Erupt in Libya’s Misrata for First Time Since 2011

Government security forces restore control in Misrata (Social media pages in Misrata)
Government security forces restore control in Misrata (Social media pages in Misrata)

Armed clashes erupted in the western Libyan city of Misrata and continued into the early hours of Friday, in the latest episode of the city’s long-running struggle for security dominance among rival factions.

It was the first time since the overthrow of late president Muammar Gaddafi in 2011 that Misrata, Libya’s third-largest city, had witnessed fighting between its own armed groups.

The clashes broke out south of the city, between two factions loyal to the Tripoli-based Government of National Unity (GNU), led by Prime Minister Abdulhamid al-Dbeibah.

The rival groups were the “Joint Operations Force” and the “24th Infantry Battalion” commanded by Najib Ghabaq, along with affiliated units. The fighting was reportedly triggered by disputes over control of local security zones.

Videos circulated on social media showed exchanges of gunfire across southern Misrata before the fighting spread toward the airport road in the al-Ghiran district, forcing authorities to suspend flights and close the airport.

Witnesses reported a large deployment of vehicles mounted with heavy weapons belonging to the 24th Infantry Battalion along the airport road, while the Joint Operations Force gathered dozens of armed vehicles on Tripoli Street in central Misrata.

Political activist Abdelhamid Suleiman Khudr, one of the leaders of the “Misrata Movement,” described the sudden escalation between the two factions as “something unseen since 2011,” saying it had terrified residents.

Khudr said the intensity of the fighting was “indescribable,” citing the widespread use of medium and light weapons and rocket-propelled grenades that reached areas near the city’s Oncology Hospital.

He urged Misrata’s security services to intervene immediately to stop the fighting and called on residents to protest, demanding the removal of all armed groups from the city.

Eyewitnesses said Ghabaq’s men had recently been setting up random checkpoints and stopping citizens “without legal authority.” The latest confrontation, they added, was sparked after members of the 24th Infantry Battalion detained and assaulted an officer from the Joint Operations Force, igniting the standoff.

Armored units from the Joint Operations Force then advanced to confront Ghabaq’s battalion, which was backed by fighters from al-Ghiran. The clashes left at least four civilians wounded, who were taken to hospital, though no official casualty figures had been released by Friday afternoon.

Misrata, located about 200 km (125 miles) east of Tripoli, is home to some of the country’s most powerful armed formations, which have played a key role in supporting Dbeibah against the “Special Deterrence Force” led by Abdulrauf Kara.

Calm returned to the city by Friday morning after the intervention of the 111th Brigade, the Special Missions Directorate, and the 63rd Infantry Brigade, which managed to contain the fighting. However, many residents continued to demand “a lasting solution to remove all armed groups from Misrata.”

The GNU has remained silent over the incident. A military source in western Libya told Asharq Al-Awsat that the situation was now under control following the intervention of government security units, adding that “an urgent investigation will be launched to prevent similar incidents.”

Armed clashes between militias are common in western Libya, driven by persistent rivalries over territorial control and influence.

The fighting coincided with the fifth anniversary of the ceasefire agreement between eastern and western Libya. The country’s Joint Military Commission (5+5) reiterated its commitment to disbanding all armed formations and militias nationwide.

The issue of militias remains one of the most pressing challenges for the executive authorities in Tripoli.

According to a military source, the GNU continues to seek ways to dismantle these groups and integrate them into state institutions. But political observers say Dbeibah’s government has struggled to address the crisis, given its dependence on some of the same armed factions to maintain power.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.