Sudan's RSF Says Arrests Fighters Accused of Abuses in El-Fasher

This photo released by UNICEF shows a woman from el-Fasher at a displacement camp where residents sought refuge from fighting between government forces and the RSF, in Tawila, Darfur region, Sudan, Wednesday Oct. 29, 2025. (Mohammed Jammal/UNICEF via AP)
This photo released by UNICEF shows a woman from el-Fasher at a displacement camp where residents sought refuge from fighting between government forces and the RSF, in Tawila, Darfur region, Sudan, Wednesday Oct. 29, 2025. (Mohammed Jammal/UNICEF via AP)
TT

Sudan's RSF Says Arrests Fighters Accused of Abuses in El-Fasher

This photo released by UNICEF shows a woman from el-Fasher at a displacement camp where residents sought refuge from fighting between government forces and the RSF, in Tawila, Darfur region, Sudan, Wednesday Oct. 29, 2025. (Mohammed Jammal/UNICEF via AP)
This photo released by UNICEF shows a woman from el-Fasher at a displacement camp where residents sought refuge from fighting between government forces and the RSF, in Tawila, Darfur region, Sudan, Wednesday Oct. 29, 2025. (Mohammed Jammal/UNICEF via AP)

Sudan's paramilitary Rapid Support Forces said they had arrested several fighters accused of committing abuses during the capture of the city of El-Fasher, as the United Nations said "horror is continuing" in the Darfur region.

The RSF, at war with the army since April 2023, seized El-Fasher -- the army's last stronghold in Darfur -- on Sunday after an 18-month siege.

In a statement late Thursday, the RSF said it had detained several fighters accused of "violations that occurred during the liberation" of the city, including one known as Abu Lulu who appeared in multiple videos on his TikTok committing summary executions.

In one clip verified by AFP, he is seen shooting unarmed men at close range. Another shows him standing among armed men near dozens of bodies and burnt vehicles.

A third video shows Abu Lulu attempting to coerce captives into praising army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan.

When they refused, he executed them, saying, "When we came here, we had two choices: death or victory."

The RSF released a video appearing to show Abu Lulu behind bars in what they claimed to be a North Darfur prison. It said "legal committees" had begun investigations "in preparation for bringing them (the fighters) to justice".

The group also affirmed its adherence to "the law, rules of conduct and military discipline during wartime".

El-Fasher has been cut off from all communications since its fall, but survivors who reached the nearby town of Tawila told AFP of mass killings, children shot before their parents and civilians beaten and robbed as they fled.

Emtithal Mahmoud, a US-based Sudanese poet from El-Fasher, said she recognized her cousin, Nadifa, in a video shared by RSF accounts, lying dead on the ground.

Since Sunday, videos circulating online have shown men in RSF uniforms carrying out summary executions around the city.

More than 36,000 people have fled El-Fasher since Sunday, according to the UN's migration agency, while the fate of about 177,000 civilians still trapped in the city remains unknown.

'Horror is continuing'

UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher told the Security Council on Thursday there were "credible reports of widespread executions" after the RSF entered El-Fasher.

"We cannot hear the screams, but... the horror is continuing," he said, describing rapes, mutilations and killings with impunity.

Fletcher said the RSF claimed to be investigating, but questioned its commitment amidst "appalling news" from North Darfur.

RSF leader Mohamed Hamdan Daglo had earlier vowed accountability for "anyone who has made a mistake", while an RSF-led coalition alleged many videos were "fabricated" by army-linked outlets.

Satellite imagery analyzed by Yale's Humanitarian Research Lab showed clusters in the city "consistent with adult human bodies", and "discoloration" that may indicate "pools of blood", its director told AFP.

The RSF -- descended from the Janjaweed militias accused of atrocities in Darfur two decades ago -- and the army both face war crimes accusations.

The US has previously determined the RSF committed genocide in Darfur.

El-Fasher's fall gives the RSF full control over all five state capitals in Darfur, effectively splitting Sudan along an east-west axis.

The RSF is now entrenched in Darfur with a self-declared rival government and is pushing into the neighboring Kordofan region, where the UN says similar atrocities have occurred.

The army holds Sudan's north, east and center.

Peace efforts led by Washington and regional powers have so far failed.

 

 

 



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.