Israel Hands Over Bodies of 30 Palestinians, Gaza Hospital Officials Say

Some of the thirty body bags containing the corpses of Palestinian prisoners detained by Israel and released as part of the hostage exchange deal, are laid out in the grounds of the Nasser Medical Complex, in Khan Younis, in the southern Gaza Strip, on October 31, 2025. (AFP)
Some of the thirty body bags containing the corpses of Palestinian prisoners detained by Israel and released as part of the hostage exchange deal, are laid out in the grounds of the Nasser Medical Complex, in Khan Younis, in the southern Gaza Strip, on October 31, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Israel Hands Over Bodies of 30 Palestinians, Gaza Hospital Officials Say

Some of the thirty body bags containing the corpses of Palestinian prisoners detained by Israel and released as part of the hostage exchange deal, are laid out in the grounds of the Nasser Medical Complex, in Khan Younis, in the southern Gaza Strip, on October 31, 2025. (AFP)
Some of the thirty body bags containing the corpses of Palestinian prisoners detained by Israel and released as part of the hostage exchange deal, are laid out in the grounds of the Nasser Medical Complex, in Khan Younis, in the southern Gaza Strip, on October 31, 2025. (AFP)

Israel has handed over the bodies of 30 Palestinians, Red Cross and hospital officials in Gaza said Friday, a day after Palestinian militants returned the remains of two hostages to Israel. 

A doctor at Nasser Hospital in the southern city of Khan Younis confirmed receiving the bodies and said they were all unidentified. The Red Cross said that its teams had facilitated the transfer. 

The exchange was the latest indication that the fraught Israel-Hamas ceasefire agreement is moving forward, despite Israeli strikes on Gaza this week that killed more than 100 people following the killing of an Israeli soldier. 

Gaza and Israel grapple with latest exchange of bodies

Ahmed al-Farra, head of the pediatric unit at Nasser Hospital, confirmed to The Associated Press on Friday morning that the hospital received the unidentified bodies of 30 Palestinians from Israel. 

Photos showed the remains, in white body bags, arranged in rows inside the grounds of Nasser Hospital. Health officials have struggled to identify bodies without access to DNA kits. 

The return brings the number of Palestinian bodies returned by Israel to 225, only 75 of which have been identified by families, according to Gaza's Health Ministry. It is unclear if those returned were killed in Israel during the Oct. 7, 2023, attack that triggered the war, died in Israeli custody as detainees or were recovered from Gaza by troops during the war. 

The bodies returned had been “torn apart and exhumed,” Munir al-Bursh, director general of Gaza’s Health Ministry, said in a post on X. 

“Their flesh had melted, their faces erased by fire, leaving behind only bones and teeth,” he said. 

The Israeli military has previously told The Associated Press that all bodies returned so far are those of combatants, a claim the AP was unable to verify. The military has said it operates in accordance with international law. 

Al-Bursh said recently that many of the bodies handed over appear to be fighters or others killed during the 2023 attack. Several relatives who have identified the bodies of family members said they weren’t fighters. 

In Israel, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said late Thursday that the remains returned by Palestinian fighters had been confirmed as those of Sahar Baruch and Amiram Cooper, both taken hostage during the 2023 attack. 

Hamas has now returned the remains of 17 hostages since the start of the ceasefire, with 11 others still in Gaza and set to be turned over under the terms of the agreement. 

On Friday a small crowd of Israelis gathered in the plaza known as Hostages Square, praying together for the return of the dead hostages still in Gaza. 

“We cannot give up until everybody, all the bodies, will be here," said Rimona Velner, a Tel Aviv resident who joined the gathering. “It’s very important to the families and for us ... to close this circle.” 

Warning to Hamas  

A senior US official and a second source familiar with negotiations said that in messages passed to Hamas by mediators on Wednesday, Israel warned the group that its fighters had 24 hours to leave the yellow zone or face strikes. 

That deadline passed Thursday evening, after which the senior US official said that “Israel will enforce the ceasefire and engage Hamas targets behind the yellow line.” Hamas did not respond to a request for comment. 

On Friday, Shifa hospital director Mohamed Abu Selmiya said that one person had been killed by Israeli gunfire in northern Gaza. Israel's military said its troops had fired after the person approached troops in a way that posed a threat. 

Government officials from eight Arab and Muslim nations will gather in Istanbul on Monday to discuss the next steps for Gaza, Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said Friday. 

The talks follow a meeting between the countries' leaders and President Donald Trump on the sidelines of the United Nations Security Council, preceding the ceasefire agreement. They mark the latest effort to create an International Stabilization Force in Gaza, outlined in a 20-point US plan. 

The ceasefire, which began Oct. 10, is aimed at winding down a war that is by far the deadliest and most destructive of those ever fought between Israel and Hamas. 

In the October 2023 attack on Israel, Hamas-led fighters killed about 1,200 people and took 251 others hostage. 

In the two years since, Israel’s military offensive has killed more than 68,600 Palestinians in Gaza, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry, which doesn’t distinguish between civilians and combatants. The ministry, which is part of the Hamas-run government and is staffed by medical professionals, maintains detailed records viewed as generally reliable by independent experts. 

Israel, which some international critics have accused of committing genocide in Gaza, has disputed the figures without providing its own tally. 

Israeli fire kills teen in West Bank 

In the central West Bank town of Silwad on Friday, mourners thronged the streets for the funeral of Yamen Hamed, 15, who Palestinian health officials say was shot by an Israeli soldier overnight. Samed Yousef Hamed kissed his son goodbye. 

Samed said his son left home Thursday to hang out with friends. Soon after, he learned the teen had been injured and Israel's army was preventing an ambulance from reaching him.  

Ahed Smirat, the ambulance driver who tried to reach Hamed following the shooting, told the AP that troops held him up multiple times. By the time they let him through, troops told him the teen had died, he said. 

Israel’s military called the teen a “terrorist” and said troops had fired believing that he was holding an explosive, but did not provide any evidence to support that characterization. Hamed's funeral was Friday. 

The shooting is the latest in a surge of military killings of Palestinian children in the West Bank that has accompanied a general upswing in violence in the territory since the start of the Israel-Hamas war. Some were killed during Israeli military raids in dense neighborhoods, others by sniper fire in peaceful areas. 

The killings have risen as the Israeli military has stepped up operations in the occupied West Bank since the war’s onset in what it calls a crackdown on fighters. 



Israel Conducts Fresh Strike in Syria After US Criticism

Fences are seen on the ceasefire line between Israel and Syria in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, March 25, 2019. (Reuters)
Fences are seen on the ceasefire line between Israel and Syria in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, March 25, 2019. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Conducts Fresh Strike in Syria After US Criticism

Fences are seen on the ceasefire line between Israel and Syria in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, March 25, 2019. (Reuters)
Fences are seen on the ceasefire line between Israel and Syria in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, March 25, 2019. (Reuters)

Israel carried out a fresh strike in Syria on Saturday and lambasted US envoy Tom Barrack for criticizing an earlier attack on an air base in the northwest, which Israel has accused Türkiye of seeking to use. 

Barrack on Tuesday slammed Israel's attack on the disused military air base that day as an "unnecessary escalation that does not advance regional stability". 

On Friday, in an interview with influencer Mario Nawfal, Barrack said the strike may have been intended to provoke a conflict with Türkiye, prompting Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz to hit back on Saturday, calling the remarks "full of inaccuracies". 

Since the December 2024 overthrow of longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad, Israel has carried out hundreds of strikes in Syria and has sent troops into a UN-patrolled buffer zone that for decades had separated Israeli and Syrian forces in the Golan Heights. 

Katz wrote on X on Saturday that Israel had passed on "intelligence information to the authorized parties in the United States" before the strike on Tuesday. 

He added that Barrack's comments were "full of inaccuracies and positions that contradict the stance of US President (Donald) Trump himself regarding the Golan Heights", after Barrack called the territory "occupied". 

Israel captured most of the Golan Heights from Syria in the 1967 Arab-Israeli War and later annexed the areas under its control, in a move only recognized by the United States and, this month, also Colombia. 

- 'Flagrant violation' - 

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, commenting on the Tuesday strike, said Türkiye, an ally of the new authorities in Damascus, had been looking to establish a military presence on the air base. 

Ankara has denied any visit to the site. 

Netanyahu and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan have traded barbs since the incident, and Ankara announced it was seeking an Interpol red notice for Netanyahu, accusing him of "genocide" linked to the interception of a Gaza-bound aid flotilla. 

Netanyahu's office called Erdogan an "antisemitic dictator" while Erdogan's office called the remarks "outrageous ravings" and accused Netanyahu's government of "seeking to evade accountability". 

Also on Saturday, Syrian state television said a man was wounded when an "Israeli occupation drone" targeted a vehicle in the village of Beit Jinn, located southwest of Damascus near the Israeli-annexed Golan Heights, with the foreign ministry calling it a "flagrant violation" of its sovereignty. 

Israel's military acknowledged the strike, saying that its forces "fired in southern Syria toward a terrorist who advanced terror attacks in the final stages of preparation", without identifying the target. 

Israel has carried out repeated incursions into Syrian territory and has vowed to keep troops in a so-called "security zone" in southern Syria, where it seeks a broader demilitarized area. 

This week Israeli army chief Lieutenant General Eyal Zamir told troops in southern Syria that "we are monitoring the changes on the Syrian front. We will not allow hostile forces to establish themselves on our borders." 


Former Envoys Urge Joint French, UK Action on Palestinian Territories

Israeli flags raised by settlers as seen on a main road to Jenin City, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
Israeli flags raised by settlers as seen on a main road to Jenin City, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
TT

Former Envoys Urge Joint French, UK Action on Palestinian Territories

Israeli flags raised by settlers as seen on a main road to Jenin City, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
Israeli flags raised by settlers as seen on a main road to Jenin City, 21 August 2026. (EPA)

Dozens of former senior French and UK diplomats on Saturday urged their governments to work together to uphold international law in the Palestinian territories, accusing Israel of seeking to "destroy" any prospect of a viable Palestinian state.

The 102 signatories of the letter published in Le Monde included former British ambassadors to the UN Jeremy Greenstock and Emyr Jones Parry as well the former directors for the Middle East at the French foreign ministry Yves Aubin de la Messuziere and Denis Bauchard.

They said the involvement of France and the UK was essential given the historic roles of the two powers in the Middle East and the fact that both permanent members of the UN Security Council, in 2025 recognized a Palestinian state.

"Our two nations believe that those responsible for war crimes and crimes against humanity must be held to account. Only then can our governments rebut the accusation of double standards. That is why they must act together to uphold international law in Palestine," said the letter.

It accused Israel of seeking "to destroy any prospect of an independent Palestinian state, showing contempt for the law, the rulings of the International Court of Justice and countless UN Security Council resolutions."

Israel launched a military campaign on the Palestinian territory of Gaza following the October 7, 2023 attack by the Hamas group against Israel.

Violence in the West Bank, occupied by Israel since 1967, has surged since the Gaza war began, sparking international concern over the conduct of Israeli troops and settlers.

France and Britain this week joined other countries in releasing a statement condemning the Israeli government's release of new tenders for construction in the occupied West Bank.

The letter said house demolitions and "rampant settler violence -- with the connivance of the Israeli army and police" in annexed east Jerusalem and the West Bank amounted to "ethnic cleansing"

"The world no longer sees Israel as a genuine democracy -- there is nothing democratic about depriving others of their rights and land," said the letter.


Fatah Senior Delegation Heads to Cairo to Meet Palestinian Factions

A member of the Fatah movement attends the 8th General Conference of Fatah, at Al-Azhar University in Gaza City, May 14, 2026. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas
A member of the Fatah movement attends the 8th General Conference of Fatah, at Al-Azhar University in Gaza City, May 14, 2026. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas
TT

Fatah Senior Delegation Heads to Cairo to Meet Palestinian Factions

A member of the Fatah movement attends the 8th General Conference of Fatah, at Al-Azhar University in Gaza City, May 14, 2026. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas
A member of the Fatah movement attends the 8th General Conference of Fatah, at Al-Azhar University in Gaza City, May 14, 2026. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas

A senior delegation from the Fatah movement is expected to travel to the Egyptian capital Cairo on Saturday evening or Sunday morning to meet Egyptian officials, as well as Palestinian faction officials and representatives, to discuss legislative elections scheduled for Nov. 28.

The delegation will include Fatah Deputy Chairman and Palestinian Vice President Hussein al-Sheikh, Central Committee member Majed Faraj and Palestinian National Council Chairman Rawhi Fattouh.

Electoral Arrangements

An informed source from a Palestinian faction in Cairo told Asharq Al-Awsat that they were informed by some Fatah leaders about this high-level visit, aimed at meeting with various factions to make electoral arrangements.

Meanwhile, a source from a leftist faction said that the initiative to hold national meetings was a proposal from one of the leftist factions, with the aim of broadening options for the success of any elections.

According to the scheduled agenda for the visit, the Fatah delegation is expected to meet with a Hamas delegation, for the first time in a long period, after Fatah had refrained from any meetings for at least the past two years.

Most communications had been indirect, with messages conveyed between the two sides through various parties.

Broad Electoral Alliance

This comes amidst efforts by some Palestinian factions, including Hamas, to form an electoral alliance that includes Islamic Jihad, the Resistance Committees, and the Democratic Reformist Current led by Mohammed Dahlan, a dismissed Fatah leader, as well as another Fatah leader, Nasser al-Qudwa.

Qudwa has formed the National Democratic Forum which also faces disagreements with the movement's current leadership, which controls the Palestinian Authority's key institutions.

Hossam Badran, a member of Hamas's political bureau, affirmed his movement's position to participate in the elections through a broad national bloc comprising Palestinian factions and independent figures. Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, he indicated that communication has begun with various parties and components, and many bilateral and collective meetings have been held to achieve this bloc.

A Hamas source told Asharq Al-Awsat that an initial agreement has been reached between these factions to form this alliance.

Leftist Factions

It was noted that the participation of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) and the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP), both factions of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), in this alliance has not been confirmed.

Asharq Al-Awsat learned from a leading source in one of these factions that they have not yet agreed to the proposal to join the alliance, and are internally studying it with their organizational structures, suggesting that the two fronts might form a unified democratic alliance.

Recently, the Hamas leadership held a series of meetings with leaders from various Palestinian factions to discuss issues related to the ceasefire in Gaza, as well as the elections.

Islamic Jihad's Participation

Notably, Islamic Jihad has announced it will join the alliance, despite previously refusing to take part in elections, which it viewed as being held under the framework of the Oslo Accords.

Asharq Al-Awsat sought comment from Islamic Jihad leaders and spokespeople, but they did not respond to requests for comment.

A senior movement source in Lebanon said the issue of joining the alliance, or even participating in the elections, had not been decided and that broad consultations were under way within the movement.

Anticipated Postponement and Election Law

The development comes amid talk of a possible postponement of the elections until the end of March next year, with the aim of holding presidential and legislative elections simultaneously. The move is also intended primarily to revisit the political parties law, which has resurfaced after previously being put on hold. The law restricts the participation in elections of Palestinian factions that have armed wings.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas amended the election law, particularly provisions requiring electoral lists to commit to the program of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), the recognized sole legitimate representative of the Palestinian people. The program includes recognition of relevant international resolutions, including recognition of Israel, the renunciation of violence and other conditions that Hamas and other Palestinian factions had previously rejected.

It was unclear whether al-Sheikh and Faraj would discuss the possible postponement of the elections and amendments to the election law with Palestinian faction officials if the visit proceeds.

Arab and Islamic states are working to bridge differences between Fatah and Hamas over elections and other issues, while seeking to reform the Palestinian Authority and establish it as the governing body for the West Bank and Gaza amid continued Israeli attacks.