Israeli Reports: Tehran Arming Iraqi Shiite Factions in Anticipation of Future Conflict with Tel Aviv 

Kataib Hezbollah members in Iraq. (AFP)
Kataib Hezbollah members in Iraq. (AFP)
TT

Israeli Reports: Tehran Arming Iraqi Shiite Factions in Anticipation of Future Conflict with Tel Aviv 

Kataib Hezbollah members in Iraq. (AFP)
Kataib Hezbollah members in Iraq. (AFP)

Tehran is increasing its support for Shiite militias in Iraq in anticipation of a potential future conflict with Israel, according to a report Tuesday on Israel’s Kan radio.

Citing several Iraqi sources familiar with the matter, the report said that following recent blows suffered by the pro-Iranian groups in Lebanon, Syria, and Gaza, Tehran is shifting its strategic focus toward strengthening its proxies in Iraq.

These militias are reportedly receiving more advanced weaponry as part of this renewed effort, the report said.

The sources suggested that Iran is preparing these Iraqi factions for potential action against Israel should hostilities resume.

According to the Kan report, the militias now wield greater power than the Iraqi army in some regions and largely take their orders from Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps’ (IRGC) Quds Force rather than from Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani.

The militias did not launch attacks against Israel during its war with Iran in June. That restraint was reportedly the result of pressure from the Baghdad government and warnings by both Israel and the United States.

Iraq is set to hold parliamentary elections on November 11. However, expectations remain low that they will lead to any significant changes in the state's control over armed groups.

Last week, an Iraqi political source told Haaretz that Shiites in Iraq are afraid of Sunni cities rebelling against the government after what happened with the Assad regime in Syria that was ousted by opposition factions in December.

The newspaper said this is another reason why the militias are decreasing their military activities in the country.

The Israeli Maariv newspaper also stated that Iran is building a new strategic approach towards Iraq, known as the two-track policy, amid increasing Western pressure against Tehran’s influence in the region, and the cautious calm in its conflict with Israel and the US.

Foreign News Reporter at Maariv, Eli Leon, wrote an article suggesting that in the next war, missiles will not be launched on Israel by Yemen’s Houthis or Lebanon’s Hezbollah, but from Iraq.

Leon wrote that the IRGC has initiated informal channels of communication with select Shiite armed factions, with the aim of studying transition scenarios from “resistance activity” to full “political participation.”

He said Iran’s long-term goal is to build a stable and low-cost influence within Iraqi state institutions.

Currently, Israel is not focusing on Iraqi militias but on Hezbollah in Lebanon.

The Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper wrote that the Israeli Security Cabinet held a closed-door meeting on Tuesday to assess possible military responses to Hezbollah’s repeated violations of the ceasefire agreement along the Lebanese border, amid growing concerns over the group’s renewed activity and the Lebanese army’s inability to disarm it.

The meeting, attended by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, coalition party leaders and senior defense officials, focused on Hezbollah’s efforts to rebuild its capabilities, particularly in areas south of the Litani River, in violation of UN Resolution 1701.

Israeli army officials presented several operational options, including intensified strikes on Hezbollah targets.

These proposals are expected to be submitted for Cabinet approval soon, though their implementation will depend on several factors, including diplomatic discussions with the United States and the Lebanese government, as well as broader regional developments.

The article, written by Amir Ettinger and Yoav Zitun, said that since the ceasefire with Hamas came into effect last month, defense officials say Hezbollah has grown bolder, increasing the movement of operatives and commanders near the border.

The group is reportedly working to restore damaged infrastructure, rebuild rocket launchers and reestablish weapons production capabilities, including drones, the article said.

It added that while Israel has conducted near-daily strikes to prevent Hezbollah’s buildup, military officials acknowledge the trend has not been reversed.

“The group is believed to still possess tens of thousands of rockets, missiles and drones, along with a large number of armed operatives,” the article said.



US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
TT

US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)

The United States announced sanctions on Thursday on three Sudanese Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commanders over their roles in the "horrific campaign" of the siege and capture of El-Fasher.

The US Treasury said the RSF carried out "ethnic killings, torture, starvation, and sexual violence" in the operation.

Earlier Thursday, the UN's independent fact-finding mission on Sudan said the siege and seizure of the city in Darfur bore "the hallmarks of genocide."

Its investigation concluded that the seizure last October had inflicted "three days of absolute horror," and called for those responsible to be brought to justice.

"The United States calls on the Rapid Support Forces to commit to a humanitarian ceasefire immediately," US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a statement.

"We will not tolerate this ongoing campaign of terror and senseless killing in Sudan."

The Treasury noted that the three sanctioned individuals were part of the RSF's 18-month siege of and eventual capture of El-Fasher.

They are RSF Brigadier General Elfateh Abdullah Idris Adam, Major General Gedo Hamdan Ahmed Mohamed and field commander Tijani Ibrahim Moussa Mohamed.

Bessent warned that Sudan's civil war risks further destabilizing the region, "creating conditions for terrorist groups to grow and threaten the safety and interests of the United States."

The UN probe into the takeover of El-Fasher -- after the 18-month siege -- concluded that thousands of people, particularly from the Zaghawa ethnic group, "were killed, raped or disappeared."


Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
TT

Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday there would be no reconstruction of war-shattered Gaza before the disarmament of Hamas, as the "Board of Peace" convened for its inaugural meeting in Washington.

Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials met for the first meeting of the board, which was set up after the United States, Qatar and Egypt negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in the Gaza Strip.

"We agreed with our ally the US there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said during a televised speech at a military ceremony on Thursday, AFP reported.

The meeting in Washington will also look at how to launch the International Stabilization Force (ISF) that will ensure security in Gaza.

One of the most sensitive issues before the board is the future of the Islamist movement Hamas, which fought the war with Israel and still exerts influence in the territory.

Disarmament of the group is a central Israeli demand and a key point in negotiations over the ceasefire's next stage.

US officials including Steve Witkoff, Trump's friend and roving negotiator, have insisted that solid progress is being made and that Hamas is feeling pressure to give up weapons.

Israel has suggested sweeping restrictions including seizing small personal rifles from Hamas.

It remains unclear whether, or how, the Palestinian technocratic committee formed to handle day-to-day governance of Gaza will address the issue of demilitarization.

The 15-member National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG) will operate under the supervision of the "Board of Peace", and its head, Ali Shaath, is attending the meeting in Washington on Thursday.


Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
TT

Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP

US President Donald Trump told the first meeting of his Board of Peace on Thursday that $7 billion has been contributed to a Gaza reconstruction fund that aims to rebuild the enclave once Hamas disarms, an objective that is far from becoming a reality.

The disarmament of Hamas militants and accompanying withdrawal of Israeli troops, the size of the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-battered populace of Gaza are among the major questions likely to test the effectiveness of the board in the weeks and months ahead.

In a flurry of announcements at the end of a long, winding speech, Trump said the United States will make a contribution of $10 billion to the Board of Peace. He said contributing nations had raised $7 billion as an initial down payment for Gaza reconstruction.

Trump first proposed the board last September when he announced his plan to end Israel's war in Gaza. He later made clear the board's remit would be expanded beyond Gaza to tackle other conflicts worldwide.

Trump also said FIFA will raise $75 million for soccer-related projects in Gaza and that the United Nations will chip in $2 billion for humanitarian assistance.

TRUMP SAYS ANY IRAN DEAL MUST BE MEANINGFUL, PROSPECTS SHOULD BE CLEAR IN 10 DAYS

The Board of Peace includes Israel but not Palestinian representatives and Trump's suggestion that the Board could eventually address challenges beyond Gaza has stirred anxiety that it could undermine the UN's role as the main platform for global diplomacy and conflict resolution.

"We're going to strengthen the United Nations," Trump said, trying to assuage his critics. "It's really very important."

The meeting came as Trump threatens war against Iran and has embarked on a massive military buildup in the region in case Tehran refuses to give up its nuclear program.

Trump said he should know in 10 days whether a deal is possible. "We have to have a meaningful deal," he said.

The event had the feel of a Trump campaign rally, with music blaring from his eclectic playlist from Elvis Presley to the Beach Boys. Red Trump hats were given to participants.

Senior US officials said Trump will also announce that several nations are planning to send thousands of troops to participate in an International Stabilization Force that will help keep the peace in Gaza when it eventually deploys.

Hamas, fearful of Israeli reprisals, has been reluctant to hand over weaponry as part of Trump's 20-point Gaza plan that brought about a fragile ceasefire last October in the two-year Gaza war.

Trump said he hoped use of force to disarm Hamas would not be necessary. He said Hamas had promised to disarm and it "looks like they're going to be doing that, but we'll have to find out."