Why Did the US Delegation Exclude Lebanon’s Shiite Officials?

Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam meets US Treasury delegation in Beirut on Monday (Lebanese Government Presidency)
Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam meets US Treasury delegation in Beirut on Monday (Lebanese Government Presidency)
TT

Why Did the US Delegation Exclude Lebanon’s Shiite Officials?

Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam meets US Treasury delegation in Beirut on Monday (Lebanese Government Presidency)
Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam meets US Treasury delegation in Beirut on Monday (Lebanese Government Presidency)

Political observers in Lebanon have taken note of the US Treasury delegation’s decision to exclude Shiite officials from its meetings in Beirut earlier this week.

The exclusion came even though some of the Shiite officials are directly involved, by virtue of their positions, in implementing Washington’s demands that Lebanon curb Hezbollah’s financing channels and enforce the state’s monopoly on arms through legislation and executive measures.

US delegation meets top Lebanese officials

The American delegation, led by Deputy Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Counterterrorism Sebastian Gorka, included Undersecretary of the Treasury for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence (TFI) John Hurley and White House National Security Council counterterrorism specialist Rudolph Atallah.

During their visit to Beirut, they met President Joseph Aoun, Prime Minister Nawaf Salam, Justice Minister Adel Nassar, Interior Minister Ahmad Hajjar, and Central Bank Governor Karim Souaid.

The delegation also met Kataeb Party leader and lawmaker Sami Gemayel, and attended a dinner hosted by MP Fouad Makhzoumi with a group of parliamentarians.

However, the delegation notably excluded Shiite officials. It did not meet Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri — the country’s second-highest official, a key Hezbollah ally and the group’s long-time interlocutor with foreign delegations — nor Finance Minister Yassin Jaber.

No Shiite figures were present at any of the official meetings, including First Vice Governor of the Central Bank Wassim Mansouri, who was absent from the session held with Governor Souaid.

‘No boycott,’ says Shiite bloc

Sources familiar with the visit’s schedule said most meetings were held privately between the delegation and Lebanese officials, including Central Bank Governor Souaid, who met the visitors alone without the presence of senior banking oversight officials, in what they described as an effort to downplay any sectarian undertones.

Sources from the Shiite political alliance known as the “duo” — Hezbollah and the Amal Movement — also dismissed the idea of a boycott. “The delegation met with officials relevant to its mission,” one source told Asharq Al-Awsat.

“The claim of a boycott is inaccurate, as the delegation met Finance Minister Yassin Jaber during the dinner hosted by MP Makhzoumi, which was also attended by another Shiite MP. That confirms there was no boycott.”

Symbolism and political messages

Yet, political analysts say the exclusion carried symbolic weight, noting that the delegation did not seek an appointment with Speaker Berri as visiting US officials typically do, nor did it request a meeting with the finance minister at his office.

That, according to some Lebanese officials following the visit, suggested a political message — one directed at Iran, Hezbollah’s main backer.

“The exclusion signals that the Americans are deliberately avoiding all Shiite officials, regardless of political affiliation,” one ministerial source told Asharq Al-Awsat.

“This was met with a quick response from Iran through Hezbollah Secretary-General Naim Qassem, who on the same day rejected any new negotiations with Israel and refused to discuss surrendering weapons north of the Litani River, saying the agreement applies only to the south.”

Lebanon as a messaging arena

According to the same sources, the issue is “not about boycotting the Shiites, but rather that Lebanon has become a stage for message exchanges — with Washington sending signals and Tehran responding through Hezbollah.”

The sources said this dynamic is not new: “The United States has long sought to push Iran out of Lebanon and force it to relinquish its influence here. Lebanese officials first heard this stance during Donald Trump’s first presidential term in 2017, when the White House insisted Iran must come to the table to discuss its regional role. Ten years later, the message is the same: Washington wants Iran’s hand lifted off Lebanon.”

US-Berri contacts persist

Since the last decade, when pressure mounted on Iran and Hezbollah, Washington has drawn a line between Lebanese Shiites as citizens and Hezbollah as an organization.

US sanctions have targeted individuals it views as part of Hezbollah’s financial or military apparatus, while communication channels with Lebanese officials remained open — particularly through Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee.

Speaker Berri himself has sent parliamentary delegations to Washington since 2015 for meetings with members of Congress, maintaining an official dialogue that continues to this day.

Finance Minister Yassin Jaber has also made at least two visits to Washington since joining the cabinet, most recently last month, when he met representatives of the US Treasury Department. In Beirut, he has received multiple American, IMF, and World Bank delegations.

According to parliamentary sources who attended Makhzoumi’s dinner, Jaber delivered a 10-minute briefing to the US delegation outlining the government’s and parliament’s measures to “stabilize the monetary economy, tighten customs controls at airports, seaports, and land borders with Syria, and enhance supervision of money transfer companies.”

He also stressed that “executive reforms are progressing,” while the political aspects of implementation “remain under discussion with the president.”



How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)

As Hamas moves to strike armed gangs operating in areas of the Gaza Strip under Israeli army control, the groups are responding with defiance, stepping up efforts to recruit young men and expand their ranks.

Videos posted on social media show training exercises and other activities, signaling that the gangs remain active despite pressure from Hamas security services.

Platforms affiliated with Hamas security say some members have recently turned themselves in following mediation by families, clans and community leaders. The gangs have not responded to those statements. Instead, they occasionally broadcast footage announcing new recruits.

Among the most prominent was Hamza Mahra, a Hamas activist who appeared weeks ago in a video released by the Shawqi Abu Nasira gang, which operates north of Khan Younis and east of Deir al-Balah.

Mahra’s appearance has raised questions about how these groups recruit members inside the enclave.

Field sources and others within the security apparatus of a Palestinian armed faction in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that Mahra’s case may be an exception. They described him as a Hamas activist with no major role, despite his grandfather being among the founders of Hamas in Jabalia.

His decision to join the gang was driven by personal reasons linked to a family dispute, they said, not by organizational considerations.

The sources said the gangs exploit severe economic hardship, luring some young men with money, cigarettes and other incentives. Some recruits were heavily indebted and fled to gang-controlled areas to avoid repaying creditors.

Others joined in search of narcotic pills, the sources said, noting that some had previously been detained by Hamas-run security forces on similar charges. Economic hardship and the need for cigarettes and drugs were among the main drivers of recruitment, they added, saying the gangs, with Israeli backing, provide such supplies.

Resentment toward Hamas has also played a role, particularly among those previously arrested on criminal or security grounds and subjected to what the sources described as limited torture during interrogations under established procedures.

According to the sources, some founders or current leaders of the gangs previously served in the Palestinian Authority security services.

They cited Shawqi Abu Nasira, a senior police officer; Hussam al-Astal, an officer in the Preventive Security Service; and Rami Helles and Ashraf al-Mansi, both former officers in the Palestinian Presidential Guard.

These figures, the sources said, approach young men in need and at times succeed in recruiting them by promising help in settling debts and providing cigarettes. They also tell recruits that joining will secure them a future role in security forces that would later govern Gaza.

The sources described the case of a young man who surrendered to Gaza security services last week. He said he had been pressured after a phone call with a woman who threatened to publish the recording unless he joined one of the gangs.

He later received assurances from another contact that he would help repay some of his debts and ultimately agreed to enlist.

During questioning, he said the leader of the gang he joined east of Gaza City repeatedly assured recruits they would be “part of the structure of any Palestinian security force that will rule the sector.”

The young man told investigators he was unconvinced by those assurances, as were dozens of others in the same group.

Investigations of several individuals who surrendered, along with field data, indicate the gangs have carried out armed missions on behalf of the Israeli army, including locating tunnels. That has led to ambushes by Palestinian factions.

In the past week, clashes in the Zaytoun neighborhood south of Gaza City and near al-Masdar east of Deir al-Balah left gang members dead and wounded.

Some investigations also found that the gangs recruited young men previously involved in looting humanitarian aid.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.