Egypt, Pakistan Seek to Boost Relations

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi received in Cairo Pakistan’s Chief of Army Staff Field Marshall Asim Munir last month (Egyptian Presidency)
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi received in Cairo Pakistan’s Chief of Army Staff Field Marshall Asim Munir last month (Egyptian Presidency)
TT

Egypt, Pakistan Seek to Boost Relations

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi received in Cairo Pakistan’s Chief of Army Staff Field Marshall Asim Munir last month (Egyptian Presidency)
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi received in Cairo Pakistan’s Chief of Army Staff Field Marshall Asim Munir last month (Egyptian Presidency)

Egypt and Pakistan on Saturday discussed on Saturday ways of advancing and strengthening bilateral relations in political and economic fields, with a view to serving the interests of peoples of both countries.

During a phone call, Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty and Pakistan's Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar praised the remarkable progress in bilateral relations and affirmed commitment to continuing efforts to boost cooperation in various fields, in light of the historical ties and common interests shared by the two nations.

They discussed developments in the Middle East, particularly the latest situation in Gaza, according to Foreign Ministry Spokesman Tamim Khalaf.

Abdelatty underscored the importance of full implementation of the first phase of the Sharm El-Sheikh Agreement.

He stressed that both parties to the conflict must honor all their commitments in order to proceed to the second phase.

The Egyptian PM highlighted the importance of the effective implementation of the plan announced by US President Donald Trump.

A Foreign Ministry statement noted that the two sides discussed the ongoing consultations on the draft UN Security Council resolution regarding developments in Gaza as well as relevant security arrangements.

Abdelatty and Dar stressed the importance of ensuring that the resolution contributes to solidifying the end of the war and creating conditions conducive to achieving a just and comprehensive peace that fulfills the aspirations of the Palestinian people, including their right to self-determination and the establishment of an independent state.

Late last month, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi received in Cairo Pakistan’s Chief of Army Staff Field Marshall Asim Munir and emphasized Egypt’s keenness to continue strengthening and advancing bilateral cooperation in various fields.

This cooperation aims to achieve the common aspirations of the Egyptian and Pakistani peoples and contribute to boosting efforts for development and prosperity in both countries, the President had said.

The meeting also covered ways to enhance regional security and peace, both in the Middle East and South Asia.

There was a strong emphasis on intensifying consultation between the two countries to avoid escalation and address common challenges. The meeting also included exploring avenues for cooperation in the field of counter-terrorism and extremism.

In July, El-Sisi met with Pakistan's Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Lt. Gen. Sahir Shamshad Mirza and discussed ways of promoting bilateral cooperation, especially in military and security fields, alongside exchanging expertise in combating terrorism and extremism.

During his meeting with Dar on Saturday, Abdelatty highlighted Egypt’s efforts to host the international conference on early recovery, reconstruction, and development in Gaza, in cooperation with international partners.

He invited his Pakistani counterpart to participate actively in the upcoming event.

Earlier, Abdelatty had emphasized the urgent need to initiate early recovery and reconstruction plans in Gaza as soon as possible.

He said this should be done within a comprehensive vision that protects the rights of the Palestinians, in accordance with both the Arab-Islamic plan for early recovery and reconstruction and US President Donald Trump's Middle East peace plan.

Last month, Egypt and Pakistan said they are strengthening their military cooperation as Egypt’s Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Minister of Defense and Military Production, Gen. Abdel Mageed Saqr, met with Gen. Munir in Cairo.

Saqr had expressed his “appreciation for the close ties between the armed forces of both countries,” emphasizing “the importance of bolstering efforts to achieve security and stability amid the rapid changes on the regional and international scenes.”



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.