Israeli Settlers Torch West Bank Village as Israel Begins a Busy Diplomatic Week 

Hilltop Youth run for cover as they clash with Israeli security forces evacuating and demolishing an illegal outpost built near the Jewish settlement of Metzad east in the occupied West Bank, on November 17, 2025. (AFP)
Hilltop Youth run for cover as they clash with Israeli security forces evacuating and demolishing an illegal outpost built near the Jewish settlement of Metzad east in the occupied West Bank, on November 17, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Israeli Settlers Torch West Bank Village as Israel Begins a Busy Diplomatic Week 

Hilltop Youth run for cover as they clash with Israeli security forces evacuating and demolishing an illegal outpost built near the Jewish settlement of Metzad east in the occupied West Bank, on November 17, 2025. (AFP)
Hilltop Youth run for cover as they clash with Israeli security forces evacuating and demolishing an illegal outpost built near the Jewish settlement of Metzad east in the occupied West Bank, on November 17, 2025. (AFP)

Israeli settlers on Monday rampaged through a Palestinian village in the occupied West Bank, torching homes and cars in the latest in a string of settler attacks in recent weeks. The violence drew a rare condemnation from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and other top leaders.

Israel’s military said soldiers and police were sent to al-Jab’a, a small village southwest of Bethlehem, after reports of fires and vandalism. The attack came hours after clashes between Israeli security forces and settlers defending an unauthorized outpost on a nearby hill facing evacuation and demolition on Monday, according to COGAT, the Israeli military body that deals with civilians in the West Bank.

Israeli police said earlier that six suspects were arrested in confrontations during the demolitions, where dozens of Israeli settlers were entrenched and hundreds rioted, throwing stones and metal bars and burning tires.

The Monday night attack in al-Jab’a was the latest in a growing wave of settler violence to hit West Bank villages, which has surged this fall as Palestinians take part in their annual olive harvest. Violence carried out by settlers and Palestinian fighters have both spiked as the Israeli military has stepped up operations in the occupied West Bank since the onset of the Israel-Hamas war.

The UN Humanitarian office reported that October saw the highest number of Israeli settler attacks since tracking began with more than 260 incidents causing injuries or property damage. That’s on top of 2,660 settler attacks documented this year through the end of September. Six hundred ninety Palestinians and 38 Israelis have been killed this year during the uptick in violence across the territory.

‘A handful of extremists’

Netanyahu called the settlers “a handful of extremists” and urged law enforcement to pursue them for “the attempt to take the law into their own hands.”

“I intend to deal with this personally and convene the relevant ministers as soon as possible to provide a response to this serious phenomenon,” he said in a statement.

Netanyahu’s denunciation came at the outset of a busy week of diplomacy for Israel and after US officials warned violence in the West Bank could undermine the month-old ceasefire in Gaza.

Yet despite the violence, it appeared to be advancing. The UN Security Council approved a US plan for Gaza authorizing an international force to provide security and envisioning a possible path to an independent Palestinian state.

The vote was a crucial next step in US President Donald Trump’s 20-point ceasefire plan. Israeli leaders did not comment on the resolution, but Netanyahu has previously voiced staunch opposition to moves toward establishing a Palestinian state and has long asserted doing so would reward Hamas.

On Sunday, Netanyahu approved the establishment of a government committee to investigate the security failures that allowed Hamas-led gunmen to storm southern Israel and kill around 1,200 people, mostly civilians, on Oct. 7, 2023.

Netanyahu moves to shape inquiry

The prime minister’s announcement of the committee angered many in Israel who responded with concerns about its makeup.

The Oct. 7 committee approved by Netanyahu’s Cabinet differs from the kind of judge-led independent commission that Israel has convened in the past. Netanyahu, who previously resisted calls for an investigation, will oversee the makeup of the team governing the inquiry, in effect putting him in charge of the probe.

In Sunday’s decision, he said the ceasefire that went into effect on Oct. 10 allows the government to start the investigation.

Israel’s opposition leader, Yair Lapid, called the decision insulting to the victims of Oct. 7 and to the hundreds of soldiers who have died in the war.

“The government is doing everything it can to run from the truth and evade responsibility,” Lapid said.

Survey data based on 1,000 respondents published by the Jerusalem-based think tank Israel Democracy Institute last month suggested nearly three-quarters of the public support a fully independent commission of inquiry.

The Movement for Quality Government in Israel, which is critical of Netanyahu, said, “This is not an investigative commission, this is a cover-up commission.”

More details about the inquiry are to be announced in 45 days.

The Israeli military and other security bodies have conducted a number of investigations into their failures on Oct. 7. But the committee will also look at governmental decision-making and assumptions that created the conditions for the attack to occur.

In Gaza, flooding compounds woes

Flooding has added yet another layer to the humanitarian crisis gripping Gaza. The UN humanitarian office said 13,000 families were affected by the rain that began late last week.

Abdallah Abu Quta, displaced to a tent with his family, called the suffering indescribable.

“All night, we and the children were awake, shivering from the cold. We made a channel in the ground to drain the water out,” he said on Sunday.

Israel sweeping military offensive has throughout the war killed more than 69,000 Palestinians in the coastal enclave, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry. The ministry, part of the Hamas-run government and staffed by medical professionals, maintains detailed records viewed as generally reliable by independent experts.

The war, which began with Hamas’ deadly attack on Israel on Oct. 7, 2023, has triggered other conflicts in the region, sparked worldwide protests and led to allegations of genocide that Israel denies.



Syria Closes ISIS-linked al-Hol Camp after Emptying it

18 February 2026, Syria, Al-Hol: A view of al-Hol camp. Photo: Moawia Atrash/dpa
18 February 2026, Syria, Al-Hol: A view of al-Hol camp. Photo: Moawia Atrash/dpa
TT

Syria Closes ISIS-linked al-Hol Camp after Emptying it

18 February 2026, Syria, Al-Hol: A view of al-Hol camp. Photo: Moawia Atrash/dpa
18 February 2026, Syria, Al-Hol: A view of al-Hol camp. Photo: Moawia Atrash/dpa

Syrian authorities have closed al-Hol camp, which long housed relatives of suspected ISIS militants, after emptying the formerly Kurdish-controlled facility, a camp official told AFP on Sunday.

"All Syrian and non-Syrian families were relocated," Fadi al-Qassem, the official appointed by the government to manage al-Hol's affairs told AFP.

Al-Hol, located in a desert region of Hasakeh province, had been Syria's largest camp housing relatives of suspected ISIS fighters.

Last month, the government took over the camp from its Kurdish administrators, who had long run it, as Kurdish forces ceded territory and Damascus extended its control across swathes of Syria's northeast.

Since then, thousands of family members of foreign militants have left for unknown destinations.

The facility had housed some 24,000 people, mostly Syrians but also Iraqis and more than 6,000 other foreigners of around 40 nationalities.

Qassem said security forces were searching the tents for any remaining families.

Earlier this week, authorities had started evacuating the remaining residents, taking them to a camp in Akhtarin, in the north of Aleppo province.

Some of the families were taken elsewhere, Qassem said, without specifying the location.

"The camp's residents are children and women who need support for their reintegration," he added.

A source in a humanitarian organization that was active in the camp told AFP: "We evacuated all our teams working inside the camp, dismantled all our equipment and prefabricated rooms and moved them out of the camp".

Last week, the US military said it had completed the transfer of thousands of ISIS suspects, including many Syrians but also Westerners, to Iraq, after they were held in Kurdish-run prisons in northeast Syria for years.


Palestinian Foreign Ministry Condemns US Ambassador to Israel’s Statements

The Israeli settlement of Har Homa, seen from the West Bank city of Bethlehem, Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2024. (AP)
The Israeli settlement of Har Homa, seen from the West Bank city of Bethlehem, Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2024. (AP)
TT

Palestinian Foreign Ministry Condemns US Ambassador to Israel’s Statements

The Israeli settlement of Har Homa, seen from the West Bank city of Bethlehem, Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2024. (AP)
The Israeli settlement of Har Homa, seen from the West Bank city of Bethlehem, Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2024. (AP)

The Palestinian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates condemned statements by the US ambassador to Israel, in which he claimed that Israel has the right to exercise control over the entire Middle East.

The ministry emphasized that these provocative statements constitute a blatant call for aggression against the sovereignty of states.

It added that they support the continuation of the occupation’s war of genocide and displacement, as well as the implementation of its annexation and expansionist plans against the Palestinian people, SPA reported.

The Palestinian foreign ministry pointed out that the statements contradict religious and historical facts and international law, SPA reported.

It called on the US administration to take a clear stance regarding its ambassador to Israel’s remarks, which are completely at odds with the US president’s position rejecting the annexation of the West Bank.


Israel Carries Out More Strikes in Lebanon amid Lack of Int’l Assurances on Wider Regional Escalation

People gather near a building damaged in an Israeli strike in the village of Bednayel in eastern Lebanon, 21 February 2026. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH
People gather near a building damaged in an Israeli strike in the village of Bednayel in eastern Lebanon, 21 February 2026. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH
TT

Israel Carries Out More Strikes in Lebanon amid Lack of Int’l Assurances on Wider Regional Escalation

People gather near a building damaged in an Israeli strike in the village of Bednayel in eastern Lebanon, 21 February 2026. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH
People gather near a building damaged in an Israeli strike in the village of Bednayel in eastern Lebanon, 21 February 2026. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH

Lebanese officials say the country has yet to obtain firm or decisive Western guarantees that it will be spared from a larger confrontation in the region as speculation grows over a potential US strike on Iran.

Chief concerns center on whether Hezbollah would be targeted as part of any large-scale strike, or whether the group might intervene militarily alongside Tehran.

Ministerial sources said Israeli airstrikes on Hamas in the Ain al-Hilweh Palestinian refugee camp in southern Lebanon, as well as overnight raids targeting Hezbollah in the eastern Bekaa Valley fall within the pattern of ongoing military operations Lebanon, particularly targeted assassinations against figures linked to both groups.

The sources told Asharq Al-Awsat Lebanon has not received explicit Western assurances that it would not be drawn into a wider confrontation if the conflict expands.

On Hezbollah’s position, the sources noted that the group has not offered a clear position on how it would respond to potential developments.

They pointed to behind-the-scenes efforts led primarily by Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri who believes “Hezbollah will not take any step if Iran is struck.”

Although Hezbollah has previously declared it “would stand idle” in case of escalation, the sources said the party has not announced any specific military plans.

Statements made by its officials have been vague, they added, citing remarks by head of Hezbollah’s parliamentary bloc Mohammad Raad, who stressed on Friday the party’s commitment to “the security and stability of the country and the continuation of normal life.”

In Lebanon’s official response, President Joseph Aoun strongly condemned the Israeli raids carried out overnight by land and sea, which targeted the Sidon area and towns in the Bekaa.

He described the continued attacks as “blatant aggression” aimed at sabotaging Lebanon’s diplomatic efforts with brotherly and friendly nations - foremost among them the United States - to consolidate stability and halt Israeli hostilities.

Aoun said the strikes were a renewed violation of Lebanon’s sovereignty and a clear breach of international obligations, particularly United Nations Security Council Resolution 1701, which calls for a cessation of hostilities and full implementation of its provisions.

The president renewed his appeal to countries supporting regional stability to assume their responsibilities by pressing for an immediate halt to the attacks and ensuring respect for international resolutions in a way that preserves Lebanon’s sovereignty, security, and territorial integrity, and prevents further escalation.