Attack on Khor Mor Gas Field Increases Pressure on Baghdad over Armed Factions

The Khor Mor gas field after a rocket attack near Chamchamal, in Sulaymaniyah province, Iraq, November 27, 2025. (Reuters)
The Khor Mor gas field after a rocket attack near Chamchamal, in Sulaymaniyah province, Iraq, November 27, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Attack on Khor Mor Gas Field Increases Pressure on Baghdad over Armed Factions

The Khor Mor gas field after a rocket attack near Chamchamal, in Sulaymaniyah province, Iraq, November 27, 2025. (Reuters)
The Khor Mor gas field after a rocket attack near Chamchamal, in Sulaymaniyah province, Iraq, November 27, 2025. (Reuters)

Wednesday’s attack on the Khor Mor gas field in northern Iraq has piled pressure on the country to deal with armed factions. Iraqi authorities have pledged to release the results of a probe into the incident with 72 hours as the United States mounted its criticism of the armed factions.

The attack came at a critical time as Baghdad is in the process of forming a new government in wake of parliamentary elections earlier this month.

A drone attack forced a complete shutdown of gas supplies at a natural gas field in northern Iraq, triggering widespread electricity outages across northern regions.

The strike, the second in a week, caused a fire at one of the field’s main facilities but resulted in no casualties, according to Iraqi authorities.

Khor Mor, in Kurdistan region, is one of northern Iraq's most productive natural gas fields, and its output is used to fuel power plants.

Iraq’s Joint Operations Command said the attack occurred at approximately 11:30 p.m. Wednesday, when an explosive device struck one of the main facilities at the field in Sulaymaniyah province, sparking a fire.

The media has been rife with speculation over who could have been behind the attack, but regardless of who the perpetrator is, the issue is bound to pose a challenge to Shiite powers who are facing intense US pressure over militias in Iraq.

Govt probe

A senior security delegation arrived in the Iraqi Kurdistan Region from Baghdad on Friday to investigate the attack. The delegation was headed by Interior Minister Abdul Amir Al-Shammari. Notably absent was National Security Advisor Qasim al-Araji who was often involved in probes into attacks in Kurdistan.

The delegation met with officials and security leaders in Sulaymaniyah to discuss the attack and coordinate work.

This was the tenth drone attack targeting the field in 2025. Araji had in previous incidents said that the government had identified the perpetrators.

The Joint Operations Command said the results of the probe into Wednesday’s attack will be revealed in 72 hours.

Coordination Framework

The ruling pro-Iran Shiite Coordination Framework expressed its support to Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani's efforts to uncover the perpetrators.

Observers said the stance was notable given the Shiite forces’ strong opposition to the PM assuming a second term in office following the November 11 elections.

The Framework said the attack on “national facilities was a threat to Iraq’s security, economy and stability. Such attacks only serve the interests of parties seeking to weaken the state and obstruct development.”

The alliance urged the need to handle the attack as a “national threat that should not be politicized.”

Grad attack?

Iraqi former Foreign Minister and prominent member of the Kurdistan Democratic Party Hoshyar Zebari accused militias of being behind the Khor Mor attack, saying they sought to “ruin the economy of the Kurdistan region.”

In a post on the X platform, he warned that the government has no control over the militias and that the Sudani government has a “golden opportunity” to impose its control and bring the perpetrators to justice, “which will bolster his chances for a second term in office.”

He added that the attack was launched from Kirkuk and that the militias used grad rockets.

Security expert Fadel Abu Ragheef refuted Zebari’s claim, asserting that the attack was carried out by three drones. The first carried out a surveillance operation while the other two launched the attack.

The accuracy of the strike demonstrates that drones, not grad rockets, were used, he added.

He further explained that grad rockets do not have the range to fly from Kirkuk to Sulaymaniyah had they really been fired from the province.

Iraqi Interior Minister Abdul Amir Al-Shammari chairs a security meeting in Khor Mor. (INA)

Erbil ‘despairs’

The Kurdish Interior Ministry said it has “despaired” of investigation committees, adding that the federal government in Baghdad knows who the parties behind the previous attacks on Kurdistan are based on past probes.

It noted that recommendations from previous probes were never implemented.

Sudani had condemned the Khor Mor attack on Thursday, saying it was an “assault on the whole of Iraq”.

Iraqi authorities have not named suspects.

The Asaib Ahl al-Haq armed faction, which has been trying to distance itself from armed groups, condemned the attack, calling for a national probe.

Other armed factions have not commented on the incident.

US stance

The United States issued sharp criticism of the Khor Mor attack.

Mark Savaya, US President Donald Trump’s special envoy to Iraq, said in a post on X that “armed groups operating illegally and driven by hostile foreign agendas” were behind the assault. He urged the Iraqi government to swiftly identify and prosecute those responsible.

“Let it be unequivocal: there is no place for such armed groups in a fully sovereign Iraq,” he wrote. “Every illegal armed group and supporter will be tracked, confronted, and held accountable.”

Savaya said the US supports “a strong Kurdistan within a united and stable Iraq” and encouraged Baghdad and Erbil to deepen security cooperation to protect vital energy infrastructure.

Suspicions

The rocket attack comes days before the United States is set to open a new consulate in Iraqi Kurdistan. The latest strike could be linked to that, according to Ramzy Mardini, the founder of Geopol Labs, a Middle East-based geopolitical risk advisory firm, reported the New York Times.

“I’m sure the Iranians have noticed,” Mardini said. “Having been attacked by the US earlier this year, including the targeting of its nuclear program, Iran may be credibly signaling that their proxies will target American allies next door should another campaign ensue.”

Some Kurdish officials said the attacks may be the result of domestic rivalries. There are longstanding tensions over power sharing and oil revenues between Kurdistan and the Iraqi federal government, which is led by a Shiite coalition that includes some of the militias.

In a post on X, Kurdistan Regional Prime Minister Masrour Barzani urged the federal government to ensure suspects are neither released on bail nor allowed to repeat “these crimes.” He also appealed to the US and international partners to provide additional defensive equipment to protect civilian infrastructure.

“The usual terrorists or whoever may be behind tonight’s attacks cannot be allowed to repeat these crimes,” he wrote.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.