Arrests in Syria’s Sweida Target Group Plotting ‘Coup’ against Hijri

Sheikh Hikmat al-Hijri with members of the “military council” in Sweida. (File photo)
Sheikh Hikmat al-Hijri with members of the “military council” in Sweida. (File photo)
TT

Arrests in Syria’s Sweida Target Group Plotting ‘Coup’ against Hijri

Sheikh Hikmat al-Hijri with members of the “military council” in Sweida. (File photo)
Sheikh Hikmat al-Hijri with members of the “military council” in Sweida. (File photo)

The arrests carried out by the so-called “national guard” in Syria in the Sweida province on Saturday was aimed at thwarting a “coup” against the policies of Druze leader Hikmat al-Hijri, informed Druze sources told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Ten people were arrested for allegedly plotting to form a “parallel movement” to Hijri’s own, fueling fears of the eruption of sectarian strife between the Druze themselves, they added.

The “national guard” claimed that it had thwarted a “security breach” planned by people coordinating with the Damascus government, adding that the suspects have been detained.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat on condition of anonymity, local sources said the “national guard” arrested on Saturday individuals who were trying to recruit others to stage a “coup” against Hijri and the guard.

Tensions have already been high in Sweida due to security unrest in recent months.

The detainees have been identified as cleric Sheikh Raed al-Matni, Assem Abou Fakher, Ghandi Abou Fakher, Maher Falhout, Hussam Zeidan, Zeidan Zeidan and Alameddine Zeidan.

Video released by the “national guard” showed Matni being insulted by them with his moustache and beard being shaved, sparking outrage among the community.

The local sources condemned the “national guard’s” actions, saying the Matni and Abou Fakher are renowned Druze families and warning against violent reprisals that may lead to strife.

Meanwhile, the “national guard” said it had uncovered “a heinous plot and major betrayal” involving so-called “agents” who were working in coordination with the Syrian government and foreign parties.

In a statement, it added that the “conspiracy” sought to achieve a “dangerous internal security breach that would pave the way for an attack against our community and territory.”

A “swift and accurate” operation was carried out to detain the “traitors and conspirators,” it stated.

In July, Sweida was the scene of clashes between armed Druze groups on the one hand, and Bedouin and Syrian security forces on the other. Israel intervened militarily allegedly to protect the Druze.

Hijri, one of Syria’s three most senior Druze leaders, has upped his criticism of the Damascus government. He has frequently expressed his gratitude to Israel for supporting the Druze in Syria and has repeatedly called for Sweida’s cession.

His followers have gone so far as to brandish Israeli flags and images of its Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Sweida.

The tensions in the province come in stark contrast to the unprecedented openness by the international community towards Damascus’ new rulers as they seek to rebuild the country and end its international isolation after 13 years of civil war that ended with the ouster of Bashar al-Assad's regime on December 8, 2024.

The local Druze sources questioned Hijri’s continued insistence on his position despite developments that have demonstrated that his dreams of cession are headed nowhere given the rising opposition to it.

Even Israel’s Druze spiritual leader Sheikh Mowafaq Tarif has distanced himself from Hijri, they remarked.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.