Iraq ‘Mistakenly Lists’ Iran Allies as Terrorists, Unsettling Coordination Bloc

Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani beside Nouri al-Maliki during a religious event in Baghdad (Government Media)
Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani beside Nouri al-Maliki during a religious event in Baghdad (Government Media)
TT

Iraq ‘Mistakenly Lists’ Iran Allies as Terrorists, Unsettling Coordination Bloc

Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani beside Nouri al-Maliki during a religious event in Baghdad (Government Media)
Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani beside Nouri al-Maliki during a religious event in Baghdad (Government Media)

Iraq on Thursday stunned observers by abruptly adding Hezbollah and Yemen’s Houthi movement to a terrorism list that triggers immediate asset freezes, only to retract the move within hours by claiming the two names had appeared in an “unedited list” slated for correction.

The whiplash decision set off confusion and disbelief in Baghdad.

The Official Gazette, which is run by the Ministry of Justice, had published last month and formally announced on Thursday a list of entities subject to asset freezes that included Hezbollah and the Houthis.

Observers said the step was expected to win praise from Washington and tighten pressure on Tehran before the government withdrew it.

The paper said a government committee had decided to freeze the assets of individuals and entities linked to the Houthis and Hezbollah, and that the Iraqi announcement, later deleted, covered more than one hundred entities and individuals worldwide.

It said the terrorism list update came in accordance with resolutions of the committee tasked with freezing funds for identifying entities and individuals subject to counter terrorism and counter terrorism financing measures.

The developments came a day after s, urged Iraqi partners to undermine Iranian militias and prevent them from threatening Iraqis and Americans.

Asset freeze for terrorists

The text in the Official Gazette shows that the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing Committee had submitted in March 2025 a list of terrorist individuals and entities for asset freezes before the Committee for Freezing Terrorists’ Funds endorsed it in October 2025.

The Ministry of Justice website published the edition that carried the decision before deleting it following a wave of outrage among pro Iran circles in Iraq.

Hossein Moanes, the head of Kataib Hezbollah affiliate group Harakat Hoquq (The Rights Movement), attacked the government as lacking dignity.

Ali Al-Asadi, head of the political council of the Harakat al-Nujaba movement, said listing Hezbollah and Ansar Allah, the Houthis, as terrorists was an act of treason, adding that the government does not represent the Iraqi people.

A confidential letter from the Central Bank of Iraq said the publication of the two names was an oversight, and that pursuant to Committee for Freezing Terrorists’ Funds Decision 61 of 2025, paragraphs 18 and 19 should be deleted because the committee did not approve them.

The bank requested that an official amendment be issued in the Official Gazette.

Iraqi bloggers reposted paragraphs from the law governing publication in the Official Gazette, which states that ignorance of what is published in the Official Gazette does not excuse its content.

However, legal experts said rescinding what is published in the Official Gazette is possible and permissible from a legal standpoint, noting that the publication law allows corrections through a statement issued by the authority that produced the decision.

Iraq’s state news agency said Baghdad would fix the list after Hezbollah and the Iran backed Houthis were added.

The asset freeze committee said the publication dated November 17 applied solely to individuals and entities linked to ISIS and Al-Qaeda, in line with a Malaysian request and with United Nations Security Council Resolution 1373. It said adding other groups occurred before the final review was completed and would be deleted in a corrected version.

Iraqi regulations state that the only way to amend or cancel what is published in the Official Gazette is through a new law that repeals or modifies the earlier one, and until then anything published is considered an official and binding announcement.

A technical step

Legal expert Ali Al-Tamimi said the Committee for Freezing Funds of Terrorist Groups is attached to the General Secretariat of the Council of Ministers and chaired by the central bank governor, with members from counter terrorism and counter narcotics agencies, the interior and communications ministries, and the Integrity Commission.

It was established under the 2012 Anti Money Laundering Law.

He told Asharq al-Awsat that the committee’s mandate is to implement Security Council decisions and that the measure is financial and economic rather than political, noting that Security Council Resolution 2140 of 2025 calls for freezing the funds of Hezbollah and the Houthis.

The controversy quickly fed into political jockeying over whether Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani should serve a second term. Yasser Al-Maliki, secretary general of the Al Bashaer Movement, wrote on X that respect for the dead requires their burial, in a remark widely interpreted as a declaration that Sudani’s term had ended.

Yasser Al-Maliki is close to Nouri Al-Maliki, leader of the State of Law coalition and a prominent opponent of Sudani remaining in office.

Government probe

The government responded with a statement saying Sudani had ordered an urgent investigation, identification of those responsible and accountability for the negligence related to the committee’s decision.

It said Iraq’s political and humanitarian positions toward the aggression against its people in Lebanon and Palestine are principled and not subject to political point scoring.

Arab media outlets quoted what they described as informed sources as saying Hezbollah in Lebanon was displeased by the uproar in Iraq over its appearance on the terrorism list.

They said a senior Hezbollah figure contacted Baghdad to clarify the mistake and urged Iraqi authorities to hold those responsible to account.

Washington has for years sought to curb Iran’s influence in Iraq and other parts of the Middle East, where Tehran aligned factions operate under what is known as the axis of resistance, which has come under heavy Israeli strikes since the Gaza war erupted in 2023.

Iran, a neighbor and key economic lifeline for Iraq under sanctions, is vital to Baghdad, which continues to balance its partnership with Washington against its complex ties with Tehran at a time when Iran’s regional sway has ebbed after a string of Israeli attacks on its allies over the past year.

 



Baghdad Sends Team to Saudi Arabia, UAE to Trace Attacks

Iraqi Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi (AFP)
Iraqi Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi (AFP)
TT

Baghdad Sends Team to Saudi Arabia, UAE to Trace Attacks

Iraqi Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi (AFP)
Iraqi Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi (AFP)

A senior Iraqi security team will soon travel to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates to request intelligence on the trajectory and launch sites of attacks that targeted the two countries, an Iraqi government official said on Thursday, as part of an ongoing investigation.

The Iraqi official, who asked not to be identified because he was not authorized to speak publicly, said the Ministerial Council for National Security, at its latest meeting chaired by Prime Minister and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces Ali al-Zaidi, approved the formation of an investigative committee into the attacks, including two teams, one of which will travel to Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

The Iraqi government said on Wednesday it would take “all measures against those involved” if it was proven that Iraqi territory had been used as a launchpad for attacks targeting Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

It said a special committee had been formed to coordinate with the relevant authorities in both countries and to follow up on the ongoing investigations.

The Iraqi official told Asharq Al-Awsat that the investigative team would use evidence and radar maps to track the parties involved.

“The investigative committee will submit its final report to Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi as soon as it completes its work,” they said.

Earlier, Sabah al-Numan, spokesman for the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, said in a statement that the Ministerial Council for National Security had discussed the continuing investigations into the attacks that targeted Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

He said a special committee had been formed to contact officials in the two countries, and that the prime minister had ordered that all measures be taken against those involved if it was proven that Iraqi territory had been used as a launchpad for the attacks.

Separately, the Coordination Framework alliance said in a statement late on Wednesday that it rejected any attack or aggression targeting neighboring or Arab countries, stressing “the importance of respecting the sovereignty of states and sparing the region further tension.”

It also called on security agencies to complete the ongoing investigations and take the necessary measures to protect Iraq’s security and sovereignty.

The UAE demanded that the Iraqi government urgently and unconditionally prevent “all hostile acts” emanating from its territory, following a drone attack that targeted the Barakah nuclear power plant.

Saudi Arabia condemned the attack on the UAE “in the strongest terms,” saying it categorically rejected attacks that threaten the region’s security and stability.

The Saudi Foreign Ministry stressed the Kingdom’s full solidarity with the UAE and its support for all measures taken by Abu Dhabi to preserve its sovereignty, security and territorial integrity.

On the security front, Iraq’s Counter Terrorism Service announced the opening of an intelligence coordination center within the Counter Terrorism Forces Command, in a move it said was aimed at strengthening the agency’s intelligence capabilities and unifying efforts among different intelligence units.

The Counter Terrorism Service said in a statement that its chief, Staff Lieutenant General Karim al-Tamimi, visited the headquarters of the Counter Terrorism Forces Command and opened the intelligence coordination center.

It said the center aimed to strengthen and unify intelligence efforts, increase the intelligence capabilities of the agency’s personnel, and enhance coordination and cooperation among different intelligence units.


Hezbollah Shifts Fight to Counter Israeli Expansion Attempts

Officials carry the bodies of victims killed in the Israeli strike on the southern village of Deir Qanoun al-Nahr, outside Jabal Amel Hospital in the Tyre area of south Lebanon, before the bodies were transferred to their hometown for burial, as security conditions prevented families from holding the farewell ceremony in the village, on May 21, 2026. (Photo by KAWANT HAJU / AFP)
Officials carry the bodies of victims killed in the Israeli strike on the southern village of Deir Qanoun al-Nahr, outside Jabal Amel Hospital in the Tyre area of south Lebanon, before the bodies were transferred to their hometown for burial, as security conditions prevented families from holding the farewell ceremony in the village, on May 21, 2026. (Photo by KAWANT HAJU / AFP)
TT

Hezbollah Shifts Fight to Counter Israeli Expansion Attempts

Officials carry the bodies of victims killed in the Israeli strike on the southern village of Deir Qanoun al-Nahr, outside Jabal Amel Hospital in the Tyre area of south Lebanon, before the bodies were transferred to their hometown for burial, as security conditions prevented families from holding the farewell ceremony in the village, on May 21, 2026. (Photo by KAWANT HAJU / AFP)
Officials carry the bodies of victims killed in the Israeli strike on the southern village of Deir Qanoun al-Nahr, outside Jabal Amel Hospital in the Tyre area of south Lebanon, before the bodies were transferred to their hometown for burial, as security conditions prevented families from holding the farewell ceremony in the village, on May 21, 2026. (Photo by KAWANT HAJU / AFP)

Hezbollah sent a message to Arab and other embassies in Lebanon on Thursday, setting out its demands to their governments: an end to assassinations, the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Lebanese territory, the return of residents to their villages, and the release of detainees held by Israel.

It said the issue of its weapons should be addressed through “internal dialogue.”

The move came as military operations continued in south Lebanon, including an explosion in one village on the third line from the Israeli border, while Hezbollah focused on countering what it sees as Israeli attempts to expand deeper into Lebanese territory.

Hezbollah is trying to prevent any further Israeli advance in south Lebanon aimed at tightening control over villages within or around the “yellow line.” Security sources in the south told Asharq Al-Awsat the group’s pressure is concentrated on likely points of new incursions, especially around Zawtar in the eastern sector on the Litani River bank.

They said Israeli forces were trying to push through those vulnerable areas toward Lebanon’s interior, whether in Zawtar or Hadatha.

Israeli forces advanced on Wednesday into the eastern neighborhood of Hadatha, a town on the third line of border villages. Hezbollah said it had confronted the advance from several directions.

Local sources said later on Wednesday that Israeli forces carried out an explosion in the eastern neighborhood, alongside heavy air and artillery strikes on the town.

The advance began from Rshaf, a town on the second line of border villages. Rshaf is adjacent to Debel, a Christian town, many of whose residents have been displaced to the Christian towns of Rmeish and Ain Ebel, while others fled to areas deeper inside Lebanon during the third week of the expanded war.

Security sources in South Lebanon said Hezbollah intensified its operations in the area to prevent Israeli forces from entering Hadatha and seizing it.

They said the group had “concentrated its military weight in that area, in the face of an Israeli military weight focused on the same area to advance inland.”

The intensity was reflected in Hezbollah statements announcing rocket salvos and suicide drone attacks on gatherings of Israeli army vehicles and soldiers in Debel and Rshaf, as well as attacks around Hadatha “with attack drones and heavy rocket salvos in repeated waves.”

On the Israeli side, the Hebrew website Walla reported that Colonel Meir Biderman, commander of the 401st Brigade, was wounded in a Hezbollah attack in Debel.

It quoted a military source as saying Biderman “entered a building in south Lebanon that was known to be protected in order to sleep there, then came under attack by a drone.”

The source said the brigade commander was seriously wounded when the drone exploded.

(COMBO) This combination of handout satellite images taken by Planet Labs PBC shows views of the village of Yaroun in southern Lebanon close to the border with Israel on (top L to R followed by bottom L to R) October 5, 2024; January 10, 2025; January 30, 2025; and on May 2, 2026. (Photo by 2026 Planet Labs PBC / AFP)

3,089 killed

Air and artillery strikes continued inside Lebanon. The Health Ministry said 3,089 people had been killed and 9,397 wounded from March 2 to May 21.

The escalation also continued on the ground. An Israeli drone struck a motorcycle in Froun, killing its driver. Artillery fire hit Kfar Dounin, Baraachit, Mansouri, Beit Yahoun and Touline. Israeli warplanes struck Ghandouriyeh.

Israeli warplanes also raided the outskirts of Touline and the road between Toura and Jennata in the Tyre district.

An Israeli drone dropped sound bombs near farmers in Haniyeh, south of Tyre, without causing casualties.

Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Deir El Zahrani on May 13, 2026. (Photo by Kawnat HAJU / AFP)

Hezbollah turns to Western and Arab states

Against that backdrop, Hezbollah, through its parliamentary Loyalty to the Resistance bloc, turned to foreign and Arab diplomatic missions in Beirut. The message addressed governments on the situation in the south and sought to justify the fighting there.

In a memo explaining the field situation during the 15 months before it joined Iran’s support war, the bloc said political and diplomatic efforts “did not lead to a halt to these Israeli crimes against our country.”

It said the Lebanese government had failed to compel “the occupying entity” and the sponsors of the agreement to implement it, while the committee tasked with applying the agreement, “the mechanism,” had deliberately failed to do its job, worsening the suffering of the Lebanese people.

The bloc said: “Our demand as Lebanese, and the demand of everyone keen on the sovereignty, independence and freedom of their country, is to stop all forms of aggression against our national sovereignty by air, land and sea, to halt hostile actions, including the assassination of citizens and the targeting of civilian infrastructure, homes and public and private institutions, the withdrawal of the Israeli enemy army from our land to the internationally recognized borders, the return of residents to their villages and their reconstruction, and the release of detainees from occupation prisons.”

It added: “As for other issues linked to protecting Lebanon, they are a Lebanese matter that can be addressed through internal dialogue leading to the completion of a national security strategy to which all Lebanese commit,” a reference to Hezbollah’s disarmament.


Building Collapse Kills 11 People in Morocco's Fez

The Moroccan flag is seen in front of a destroyed building following the devastating earthquake in Marrakesh last month. (Reuters)
The Moroccan flag is seen in front of a destroyed building following the devastating earthquake in Marrakesh last month. (Reuters)
TT

Building Collapse Kills 11 People in Morocco's Fez

The Moroccan flag is seen in front of a destroyed building following the devastating earthquake in Marrakesh last month. (Reuters)
The Moroccan flag is seen in front of a destroyed building following the devastating earthquake in Marrakesh last month. (Reuters)

Eleven people were killed and six others injured when a four-storey building collapsed overnight in the Moroccan city of Fez, about 200 kilometres (124 miles) east of Rabat, state-owned broadcaster 2M said on Thursday.

Authorities said a search for others who might still be buried was ongoing. Media showed footage of rescuers and residents digging through the rubble, Reuters reported.

An investigation has been launched into the incident, and residents of adjacent buildings were asked to evacuate as a precaution against potential further collapses, authorities said.

Fez, a former capital dating back to the eighth century and the country's third-most-populous city, has seen similar incidents in recent months, including one in December when two buildings collapsed, killing at least 22 people.

In 2010, the collapse of a minaret in the historic northern city of Meknes killed 41 people.

Adib Ben Ibrahim, housing secretary of state, said last year that approximately 38,800 buildings across the country had been classified as being at risk of collapse.