Talks Fail on Transfer Mechanism for Syrian Prisoners in Lebanon

Prisoners stroll through a yard inside Roumieh prison, northeast of Beirut, on April 7, 2006. AFP
Prisoners stroll through a yard inside Roumieh prison, northeast of Beirut, on April 7, 2006. AFP
TT

Talks Fail on Transfer Mechanism for Syrian Prisoners in Lebanon

Prisoners stroll through a yard inside Roumieh prison, northeast of Beirut, on April 7, 2006. AFP
Prisoners stroll through a yard inside Roumieh prison, northeast of Beirut, on April 7, 2006. AFP

A Lebanese judicial delegation has returned from Damascus empty-handed, failing to secure the breakthrough it sought on a new treaty governing the transfer of Syrian prisoners held in Lebanon.

The talks instead laid bare deep rifts between the two sides, with Syria rejecting most of the proposed text and arguing that it fell short of even the minimum required to ensure the return of its nationals.

No agreement on all points

Even so, the Lebanese delegation sought to play down the gaps. A source close to the team said the atmosphere was positive but that there was no agreement on all points.

The source told Asharq Al-Awsat that Lebanon was cooperating with Damascus on the Syrian detainee file and appreciated Syria’s desire to complete the trials of those held in Lebanon or allow convicts to serve their sentences on Syrian territory.

The source acknowledged that the draft treaty applied only to convicts and did not include those still on trial, since handing over detainees requires a law issued by the Lebanese parliament, which is not currently possible.

Lebanon’s efforts to show flexibility did not receive a similar response in Damascus. Sources familiar with the meeting held in the Syrian capital described the draft agreement as loaded with problematic provisions and said it was unacceptable.

They said the two sides remained locked in disputes over two articles that Damascus viewed as attempts by Lebanon to sidestep understandings reached during talks in Damascus last month.

One article states that the transferring state, Lebanon, may refuse to hand over any convict or detainee without providing justification, based on considerations specific to it.

The sources said this effectively gave Lebanon the right to refuse the transfer of any Syrian prisoner without being required to present legal grounds.

The second, more sensitive, provision for the Syrians concerned what they saw as interference in the powers of Syrian authorities.

The sources said Article 10 of the treaty, which Lebanon intended to model after its agreement with Pakistan, stipulated that Syria, as the receiving state, may not grant amnesty to any convict or detainee handed over by Lebanon.

The agreement with Pakistan does not prohibit Islamabad from granting amnesty to its nationals returned from Lebanon.

The sources said Syria had already discussed all aspects of the agreement during its delegation’s visit to Beirut and had expressed a desire for Lebanon to facilitate the transfer of convicts and detainees under a clear mechanism that respects Lebanese sovereignty and applicable laws.

This mechanism would ban any Syrian who had been detained or convicted in Lebanon from reentering the country, and would allow Lebanese authorities to arrest and prosecute anyone who violates the ban.

Syrian dissatisfaction

Sources who followed Wednesday’s meeting in Damascus said the Syrian side was deeply dissatisfied with what it saw as Lebanese intransigence and a lack of flexibility, particularly since some of the convicts covered by the treaty have spent more than 11 years in Lebanese prisons.

Others remained in pretrial detention for years before their sentences were issued.

Damascus also informed the Lebanese delegation that it would not request the return of anyone proven to have killed Lebanese soldiers or carried out bombings that caused civilian casualties.

Tensions around the file heightened after the Lebanese delegation left Damascus without setting a date for another round of negotiations.

The sources expressed concern that Syria’s rejection of the draft could halt the dialogue altogether and strain bilateral relations.

Damascus has repeatedly said that establishing stable and strong ties requires a final resolution to the Syrian prisoners’ file in Lebanon, especially since most Syrians detained or convicted on terrorism charges had been part of the Syrian uprising, and their arrest and prosecution in Lebanon stemmed from their political choices.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.