Lebanon Probe Points to Israel's Abduction of Officer Tied to Arad Case

Israeli pilot Ron Arad, who went missing in southern Lebanon in 1986. (Israeli Air Force)
Israeli pilot Ron Arad, who went missing in southern Lebanon in 1986. (Israeli Air Force)
TT

Lebanon Probe Points to Israel's Abduction of Officer Tied to Arad Case

Israeli pilot Ron Arad, who went missing in southern Lebanon in 1986. (Israeli Air Force)
Israeli pilot Ron Arad, who went missing in southern Lebanon in 1986. (Israeli Air Force)

A senior Lebanese judicial source told Asharq Al-Awsat that investigations into the disappearance of a retired General Security officer a week ago are increasingly pointing to an Israeli abduction, following what the source described as a covert intelligence entrapment operation tied to suspicions over the decades-old mystery of missing Israeli pilot Ron Arad, who vanished in southern Lebanon in 1986.

The source said the Information Branch of the Internal Security Forces has intensified its inquiries since the disappearance of retired Captain Ahmed Shukr was reported about a week ago in the eastern Bekaa region.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that investigators traced surveillance camera footage and analyzed communications data, uncovering initial leads suggesting that Shukr was subjected to a carefully planned entrapment operation that began in his hometown of Nabi Sheet in the northern Bekaa, before he vanished near the city of Zahle, where security efforts are now focused on determining his fate.

Intelligence entrapment

As conflicting accounts have emerged over the reasons and circumstances behind Shukr’s disappearance, the theory that Israel is behind his abduction has gained ground over other scenarios, based on preliminary findings from the ongoing investigation.

What strengthens the security and intelligence angle is suspicion surrounding non-Lebanese individuals linked to the incident.

The judicial source said information obtained from initial inquiries and surveillance indicates that the entrapment operation was carried out by two Swedish nationals, one of Lebanese origin, who arrived in Lebanon just two days before the disappearance via Beirut’s Rafik Hariri International Airport.

One of them left the country through the airport on the same day Shukr went missing, raising serious questions about his potential role in the operation.

As for the second individual, who is also of Lebanese origin, the source said he is believed to have taken part in the entrapment and remains inside Lebanon. Records from General Security at the airport and land and sea crossings show that he has not left the country, unless he did so illegally.

The source did not rule out the involvement of other individuals inside Lebanon in monitoring Shukr and preparing the conditions for his abduction.

Assassination or abduction?

Several scenarios are being examined regarding the fate of the retired officer, ranging from the possibility that he was killed, similar to what was attributed to the Israeli Mossad in the killing of currency exchanger Mohammad Srour, who was linked to Hezbollah, last year, to a more dangerous but increasingly plausible hypothesis that he was transferred out of Lebanon to Israel.

In this context, the judicial source overseeing the preliminary investigation said the Information Branch has not yet found any physical or technical evidence indicating that Shukr remains on Lebanese territory.

This strengthens the theory that he was drugged and abducted to Israel, either by air in a complex operation, or by sea using a boat that departed from the Lebanese coast, as occurred in the abduction of maritime captain Imad Amhaz from the beach of the northern city of Batroun on November 2 last year.

Links to the Ron Arad file

The case goes beyond an individual disappearance, intersecting with a highly sensitive security file between Lebanon and Israel.

Sources close to Shukr’s family told Asharq Al-Awsat that the missing officer is the brother of Hassan Shukr, who was killed along with eight others in the Battle of Maydoun in the western Bekaa on May 22, 1988, which involved fighters from the “Islamic Resistance”, other armed groups and Israeli occupation forces.

Information suggests that Hassan Shukr was a fighter within a group led by Mustafa Dirani, who at the time was affiliated with the Amal Movement before later joining Hezbollah.

That group is believed to have taken part in the capture of Arad after his aircraft was shot down over southern Lebanon on October 16, 1986. The armed group reportedly transferred Arad to the home of a relative of the Shukr family in Nabi Sheet before moving him to an unknown location, after which he disappeared entirely.

Ahmed Shukr also belongs to the family of Fouad Shukr, Hezbollah’s second in command, who was assassinated in an Israeli air strike on a building in the Haret Hreik area of Beirut’s southern suburbs on July 30, 2024.

The suspected operation revives a long record of Israeli operations targeting individuals directly or indirectly linked to the Arad case, through assassinations, abductions or recruitment attempts.

In light of this, the judicial source voiced concern that Ahmed Shukr’s disappearance may represent another chapter in what he described as Israel’s destabilizing interference in Lebanon.



Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.


Maliki Can Withdraw as Candidacy as Iraq PM the Easy or Hard Way

Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)
Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)
TT

Maliki Can Withdraw as Candidacy as Iraq PM the Easy or Hard Way

Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)
Members of the Coordination Framework hold a meeting. (Iraqi News Agency)

Iraqi Former Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki declined at the last minute to attend a meeting of the pro-Iran Coordination Framework on Monday night that was aimed at settling the crisis over his nomination as prime minister.

Instead of declaring that he was pulling out as candidate, as had been expected, Maliki informed his close circle that he is “following through with his nomination to the end,” trusted sources told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Iraq has come under intense pressure from the US to withdraw the nomination. In January, President Donald Trump warned Baghdad against picking Maliki as its PM, saying the United States would no longer help the country.

“Last time Maliki was in power, the Country descended into poverty and total chaos. That should not be allowed to happen again. Because of his insane policies and ideologies, if elected, the United States of America will no longer help Iraq,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

Maliki also dismissed as “extortion and intimidation” talks of renewed US sanctions on Iraq, added the sources.

However, circles within the Coordination Framework have started to “despair” with the impasse over naming a new prime minister and are weighing the possibility of taking “difficult” choices, they revealed. Maliki has become a prisoner of his own nomination.

The Sunni Progress Party (Takadum) had voiced its reservations over Maliki’s nomination before Trump made his position clear and which has since weighed heavily on Iraq.

‘Indefinitely’

Maliki’s decision to skip the Framework’s meeting on Monday forced the coalition to postpone it “indefinitely”, exposing more differences inside the alliance that have been festering for months. The dispute over the post of prime minister is threatening to evolve into one that threatens the unity of the coalition itself.

Several sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that Maliki had sent the Framework a written message on Monday night informing them that he will not attend the meeting because “he was aware that discussions will seek to pressure him to withdraw his candidacy.”

Maliki was the one to call for the meeting to convene in the first place, they revealed.

Reports have been rife in Iraq that Shiite, Sunni and Kurdish political leaderships have all received warnings that the US would take measure against Iraq if Maliki continued to insist on his nomination.

Former Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari told Dijlah TV that “Shiite parties” had received two new American messages reiterating the rejection of Maliki’s nomination.

Necessary choice

Maliki and the Framework are now at an impasse, with the latter hoping the former PM would take it upon himself to withdraw his candidacy in what a leading Shiite figure said would help protect the unity of the coalition.

Leading members of the coalition were hoping to give Maliki enough time to decide himself to withdraw, but as time stretches on, the coalition may take matters into its own hands and take “necessary” choices, said the figure.

Other sources revealed, however, that Maliki refuses to voluntarily withdraw from the race believing that this is a responsibility that should be shouldered by the Framework. This has effectively left the alliance with complex and limited choices to end the crisis.

Sources close to Maliki said he has made light of US threats to impose sanctions, saying that if they were to happen, Iraq will emerge on the other side stronger, citing other countries that came out stronger after enduring years of pressure.

Moreover, he is banking on an American change in position, saying mediators have volunteered to “polish his image before Trump and his team.” Members of Maliki’s State of Law coalition declined to comment on this information.

Sources inside the Framework said the coalition may “ultimately withdraw Maliki’s nomination if he becomes too much of a burden on an already weary alliance.”

Doing so may cost them a strong ally in Maliki and force the Framework to yield to Washington’s will, said the Shiite figure. “Maliki may come off as stubborn and strong, but he is wasting his realistic options at this critical political juncture,” it added.

The Framework is divided between a team that is banking on waiting to see how the US-Iran tensions will play out to resolve the crisis and on Maliki voluntarily withdrawing his nomination. The other team is calling for the coalition to resolve the crisis through an internal vote.

Leading Shiite figures told Asharq Al-Awsat that opponents of Maliki’s nomination in the coalition have no choice but to apply internal pressure inside the Framework, which is on the verge of collapse.


Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Australia has barred one of its citizens from returning home from a Syrian detention camp because of security concerns, the government said Wednesday.

The unidentified person is among a group of 34 Australian women and children at the Roj camp related to suspected members of ISIS.

"I can confirm that one individual in this cohort has been issued a temporary exclusion order, which was made on advice from security agencies," Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said in a statement sent to AFP.

"At this stage security agencies have not provided advice that other members of the cohort meet the required legal thresholds for temporary exclusion orders."

The minister can make temporary exclusion orders lasting up to two years to prevent terrorist activities or politically motivated violence.

The Australians were released from the camp on Monday but failed to reach the capital Damascus on their way home, a Kurdish official told AFP in Syria.

The official said they were turned back to the detention camp, citing "poor coordination" with the Syrian authorities.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese underscored his government's refusal to help repatriate the women and children.

"You make your bed, you lie in it," he said, accusing the group of aligning with an ideology that seeks to "undermine and destroy our way of life".

"We are doing nothing to repatriate or to assist these people," he told reporters Wednesday.

"I think it's unfortunate that children are caught up in this. That's not their decision but it's the decision of their parents or their mother."

The humanitarian organization Save the Children Australia filed a lawsuit in 2023 on behalf of 11 women and 20 children in Syria, seeking their repatriation.

But the Federal Court ruled against Save the Children, saying the Australian government did not control their detention in Syria.