Lebanon Voices Official Anger at Hamas over Refusal to Hand over Weapons

Lebanese army soldiers stand next to a truck carrying weapons at the Burj al-Barajneh Palestinian refugee camp in southern Beirut, Lebanon, 29 August 2025. (EPA)
Lebanese army soldiers stand next to a truck carrying weapons at the Burj al-Barajneh Palestinian refugee camp in southern Beirut, Lebanon, 29 August 2025. (EPA)
TT

Lebanon Voices Official Anger at Hamas over Refusal to Hand over Weapons

Lebanese army soldiers stand next to a truck carrying weapons at the Burj al-Barajneh Palestinian refugee camp in southern Beirut, Lebanon, 29 August 2025. (EPA)
Lebanese army soldiers stand next to a truck carrying weapons at the Burj al-Barajneh Palestinian refugee camp in southern Beirut, Lebanon, 29 August 2025. (EPA)

As the Lebanese army presses ahead with efforts to seize weapons inside Palestinian refugee camps across the country, a key question remains unresolved: what will become of Hamas’s arsenal in Lebanon, as the group continues to defy a government decision and a Lebanese-Palestinian agreement requiring it to hand over its arms.

Official Lebanese frustration with Hamas and allied factions has reached unprecedented levels, driven by their refusal to hand over medium and heavy weapons located south of the Litani River, specifically in the Rashidieh Palestinian refugee camp.

The deadline set by the Lebanese army to complete the first phase of the government’s decision to impose state monopoly over arms, which covers the area between the Litani River and the Israeli border, expires at the end of 2025.

The government is expected to announce during a meeting in early 2026 the completion of the first phase and the move to implement the second one, in an effort to head off Israeli threats to launch a new round of war to counter what Israel describes as attempts by Hezbollah to rebuild its military capabilities.

The hardline stance taken by Hamas and other factions has raised questions, particularly as Hezbollah has complied and handed over its weapons south of the Litani. This has heightened concerns over the safety and stability of the Rashidieh camp if Israel decides to target weapons believed to include medium and heavy arms stored inside it.

External mediation efforts

A senior official told Asharq Al-Awsat that Lebanon has sought external mediation to address the issue of Hamas’s weapons, and that these countries have exerted pressure on the group, so far without success.

Sources following the file said that Fatah’s handover on Tuesday of a new batch of weapons from the Ain al-Hilweh camp was a renewed attempt to pressure Hamas into surrendering its arms.

Head of the Lebanese Palestinian Dialogue Committee Ambassador Ramez Dimashkieh openly expressed official Lebanese dissatisfaction with Hamas and allied factions and with their handling of the issue.

“As long as these factions declare that they operate under the authority of the Lebanese state, they are supposed to abide by the state’s decisions, not resort to stalling by linking the handover to the issue of rights,” Dimashkieh told Asharq Al-Awsat.

“We know there are rights and demands, and we are working seriously on this file, but we reject any bargaining between one file and another.”

He said there was no benefit in holding broad meetings with the factions, stressing that Hamas and its allies should instead contact the Lebanese army directly to set dates for handing over weapons, just as the Palestine Liberation Organization factions have done.

Hamas, Islamic Jihad and other allied factions reject the decisions of the Lebanese Palestinian summit that was held earlier this year, arguing that the Lebanese state should resolve the Palestinian file in Lebanon as a single package, and should not prioritize weapons over Palestinian rights and demands.

Sources in Hamas told Asharq Al-Awsat that the group is still waiting for Dimashkieh to invite all factions to dialogue on the weapons issue and outstanding files related to Palestinian rights, with the aim of agreeing on a framework paper for a solution.

They said Dimashkieh had promised during the last meeting to call for such talks, but no invitation has been made.

There appears to be no Lebanese political or military plan to forcibly collect Palestinian weapons.

Military sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the army’s current role regarding the remaining weapons inside the camps is limited to preventing the entry or exit of arms, with security measures tightened at the main and secondary entrances to camps across Lebanon.

Fifth batch of Fatah weapons handed over

Meanwhile, the Lebanese army announced on Tuesday that, as part of the ongoing process to remove weapons from Palestinian camps, it had taken delivery of a quantity of Palestinian arms from the Ain al-Hilweh camp in southern Lebanon, in coordination with the relevant Palestinian authorities.

The army stated that the handover included various types of weapons and ammunition, which were received by specialized military units for inspection and further processing.

For its part, the Palestinian National Security Forces in Lebanon, the military wing of Fatah, said in a statement that its forces had completed on Tuesday the handover of the fifth batch of heavy weapons belonging to the Palestine Liberation Organization at the Ain al-Hilweh camp in Sidon.

The statement said the move was in implementation of the joint presidential statement issued by Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and Lebanese President Joseph Aoun in May, and the subsequent work of the joint Lebanese-Palestinian committee tasked with following up on camp conditions and improving living standards.

The total number of Palestinian refugees registered with UNRWA in Lebanon stands at 489,292. More than half live in 12 organized camps recognized by UNRWA.



How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)

As Hamas moves to strike armed gangs operating in areas of the Gaza Strip under Israeli army control, the groups are responding with defiance, stepping up efforts to recruit young men and expand their ranks.

Videos posted on social media show training exercises and other activities, signaling that the gangs remain active despite pressure from Hamas security services.

Platforms affiliated with Hamas security say some members have recently turned themselves in following mediation by families, clans and community leaders. The gangs have not responded to those statements. Instead, they occasionally broadcast footage announcing new recruits.

Among the most prominent was Hamza Mahra, a Hamas activist who appeared weeks ago in a video released by the Shawqi Abu Nasira gang, which operates north of Khan Younis and east of Deir al-Balah.

Mahra’s appearance has raised questions about how these groups recruit members inside the enclave.

Field sources and others within the security apparatus of a Palestinian armed faction in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that Mahra’s case may be an exception. They described him as a Hamas activist with no major role, despite his grandfather being among the founders of Hamas in Jabalia.

His decision to join the gang was driven by personal reasons linked to a family dispute, they said, not by organizational considerations.

The sources said the gangs exploit severe economic hardship, luring some young men with money, cigarettes and other incentives. Some recruits were heavily indebted and fled to gang-controlled areas to avoid repaying creditors.

Others joined in search of narcotic pills, the sources said, noting that some had previously been detained by Hamas-run security forces on similar charges. Economic hardship and the need for cigarettes and drugs were among the main drivers of recruitment, they added, saying the gangs, with Israeli backing, provide such supplies.

Resentment toward Hamas has also played a role, particularly among those previously arrested on criminal or security grounds and subjected to what the sources described as limited torture during interrogations under established procedures.

According to the sources, some founders or current leaders of the gangs previously served in the Palestinian Authority security services.

They cited Shawqi Abu Nasira, a senior police officer; Hussam al-Astal, an officer in the Preventive Security Service; and Rami Helles and Ashraf al-Mansi, both former officers in the Palestinian Presidential Guard.

These figures, the sources said, approach young men in need and at times succeed in recruiting them by promising help in settling debts and providing cigarettes. They also tell recruits that joining will secure them a future role in security forces that would later govern Gaza.

The sources described the case of a young man who surrendered to Gaza security services last week. He said he had been pressured after a phone call with a woman who threatened to publish the recording unless he joined one of the gangs.

He later received assurances from another contact that he would help repay some of his debts and ultimately agreed to enlist.

During questioning, he said the leader of the gang he joined east of Gaza City repeatedly assured recruits they would be “part of the structure of any Palestinian security force that will rule the sector.”

The young man told investigators he was unconvinced by those assurances, as were dozens of others in the same group.

Investigations of several individuals who surrendered, along with field data, indicate the gangs have carried out armed missions on behalf of the Israeli army, including locating tunnels. That has led to ambushes by Palestinian factions.

In the past week, clashes in the Zaytoun neighborhood south of Gaza City and near al-Masdar east of Deir al-Balah left gang members dead and wounded.

Some investigations also found that the gangs recruited young men previously involved in looting humanitarian aid.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.