Israel Continues Assassinations of Hamas, Islamic Jihad Leaders

Palestinian women mourn the dead after an Israeli strike in central Gaza (AP)
Palestinian women mourn the dead after an Israeli strike in central Gaza (AP)
TT

Israel Continues Assassinations of Hamas, Islamic Jihad Leaders

Palestinian women mourn the dead after an Israeli strike in central Gaza (AP)
Palestinian women mourn the dead after an Israeli strike in central Gaza (AP)

Israel pressed ahead with targeted killings of senior Hamas and Islamic Jihad figures in Gaza, citing recent attacks on its forces, even as a ceasefire agreement entered its second phase, and plans were announced for a technocratic body to administer the enclave.

On Thursday, Israel killed two senior figures from the military wings of Hamas and Islamic Jihad, along with other activists, in a series of air strikes on homes in several areas of Gaza that killed 12 Palestinians.

The first strike targeted Saeed al-Jarou, an activist in the Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades, the armed wing of Hamas, who worked in military manufacturing, sources told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Another Palestinian was killed alongside him when the courtyard of the Jarou family home in Deir al-Balah in central Gaza was hit. The house had already been damaged in an earlier strike a month ago that killed Saeed’s brother, who was also a Qassam activist.

Less than an hour later, another strike hit the home of Mohammed al-Houli, a senior commander in the Qassam Brigades, killing him along with a young man and a child.

Al-Houli held several positions within Qassam, including deputy commander of the Central Brigade and head of the intelligence apparatus.

He previously served as commander of the Field Control Forces, according to sources.

Hours later, Israeli aircraft struck the home of Ashraf al-Khatib, a leader in the Al-Quds Brigades, the armed wing of Islamic Jihad, in the Nuseirat refugee camp in central Gaza, killing him, his wife, and her brother.

Sources said al-Khatib was responsible for the rocket unit in the central Gaza area and was among the first to fire rockets toward Tel Aviv during the 2012 war. He was also an officer in the Palestinian Authority security services.

Shortly afterward, an Israeli strike targeted Amjad Shamlakh, a Hamas activist, as he was passing through the Nabulsi area in the Sheikh Ajlin neighborhood south of Gaza City. Shamlakh worked as a nurse at Al-Shifa Medical Complex. His brother, a Qassam activist, was killed earlier in the war.

The Israeli army said it, together with the Shin Bet security agency, had attacked Hamas and Islamic Jihad members following what it described as a violation of the ceasefire earlier this week in western Rafah in southern Gaza.

It said it views any breach of the agreement with utmost seriousness and will continue to act against any attempt to advance what it called terrorist plots.

On Friday, Israeli forces killed an elderly woman after what witnesses described as indiscriminate fire from Israeli vehicles toward displacement tents south of Khan Younis in southern Gaza.

A child was also killed by fire from a drone in the town of Beit Lahia in northern Gaza.

The death toll in Gaza since Oct. 7, 2023, has risen to 71,457, including 465 killed since the ceasefire took effect on Oct. 10, 2025.

Expansion of the “Yellow Line”

In related field developments, satellite images showed that over the past three months, since the ceasefire was announced, the Israeli army has expanded the so-called Yellow Line zone it occupies in Gaza, which now covers more than half of the enclave.

The army has advanced hundreds of meters into areas that were officially meant, under a plan by US President Donald Trump, to remain under Hamas control.

Satellite imagery cited by the Israeli newspaper Haaretz showed the army continuing to demolish buildings in Jabalia and the Shujaiya neighborhood, both inside and outside the Yellow Line zone.

According to the London-based organization Forensic Architecture, Israeli forces have established 13 military sites in Gaza since the ceasefire was announced and until mid-December, including two large military positions in the Jabalia area. These elevated sites overlook vast distances.

Buildings were destroyed, areas were evacuated, and heavy engineering equipment was used to construct high earth berms to monitor the entire northern Gaza area.

The Israeli army deliberately places unclear markers for the Yellow Line, setting yellow concrete blocks hundreds of meters apart, making it impossible for Palestinians to determine where the occupied zone begins as they attempt to reach their land and homes.

Israeli forces then open fire indiscriminately, killing hundreds, including more than 100 children.

The army frequently shifts the concrete blocks westward into areas under Hamas control.

Analysis of satellite imagery along the Yellow Line shows discrepancies between the location of the concrete blocks and the official Yellow Line as defined by Israeli military data.

The yellow concrete blocks appear to be positioned about 300 meters west of the official Yellow Line shown on Israeli army maps.

The destruction of buildings in recent months adds to the erasure of entire cities in Gaza during the war.

According to the latest report by the United Nations satellite center, the Israeli army has destroyed or irreparably damaged more than 80 percent of buildings in the enclave, triggering a massive displacement crisis.

Hundreds of thousands are now living in tents, struggling to survive amid severe weather, strong winds, and seawater flooding tent areas, destroying shelters and contributing to the spread of disease.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.