Lebanon Detains 41 Since War on Suspicion of Collaborating with Israel

 Flames rise from a building that was hit by an Israeli airstrike in Ain Qana village, south Lebanon, on Feb. 2, 2026. (AP)
Flames rise from a building that was hit by an Israeli airstrike in Ain Qana village, south Lebanon, on Feb. 2, 2026. (AP)
TT

Lebanon Detains 41 Since War on Suspicion of Collaborating with Israel

 Flames rise from a building that was hit by an Israeli airstrike in Ain Qana village, south Lebanon, on Feb. 2, 2026. (AP)
Flames rise from a building that was hit by an Israeli airstrike in Ain Qana village, south Lebanon, on Feb. 2, 2026. (AP)

Lebanon’s State Security agency has arrested a Syrian national suspected of communicating with Israelis for commercial purposes, just two days after entering the country and traveling between the southern cities of Sidon and Bint Jbeil.

The arrest raises the number of people detained in Lebanon on suspicion of collaborating with Israel since the October 2023 war to 41, a record for that period.

The General Directorate of State Security said suspect, identified by his initials (I.A.), was arrested after “close surveillance and monitoring” as part of efforts to combat networks dealing with the Israeli enemy.

He is accused of concluding commercial deals with Israel and was found to have entered Lebanon illegally through unauthorized crossings.

Entered illegally, Moved without a Clear Destination

A security source told Asharq Al-Awsat the suspect, Ibrahim A., born in Aleppo in 2007, slipped into Lebanon two days before his arrest. He was detained in the Sharhabil area of Sidon after drawing suspicion by moving between Sidon and Bint Jbeil without a clear purpose.

He has no registered residence in Lebanon. A search of his phone revealed communications with Israeli-linked sites and numbers. Some appeared commercial in nature, while others were linked to pornographic websites, the source said.

Collaboration cases

The arrest comes amid what officials describe as intensified preemptive security measures, particularly after Israel’s latest war on Lebanon in 2024, during which it benefited from human intelligence networks inside the country.

A senior judicial source said that alleged collaboration cases are now top of the agenda of the Military Court due to their growing number and the gravity of the charges.

Military Public Prosecutor records show that 41 individuals have been referred for investigation and trial on accusations of collaborating with Israel and supplying security information that aided Israeli military operations.

Seven suspects were arrested during the war, while the rest were detained after the November 27, 2024, ceasefire, the source said.

Nineteen have been sentenced to prison terms ranging from six months to seven years of hard labor. The remainder are still on trial.

The security allegations facing the broader group do not apply to the Syrian detainee, the source said. There is no evidence at this stage that he carried out security tasks for Israel, and his contacts appear limited to commercial dealings.

The source described him as withdrawn and unresponsive during questioning, saying he did not clarify where he came from or where he was headed. No one contacted him during his pretrial detention.

The source suggested he may have been subjected to a professional recruitment method designed to shield associates in the event of arrest.

Following preliminary investigations, the suspect was referred to the Military Court.

Earlier Arrests

Last month, State Security announced the arrest of a Lebanese citizen on suspicion of communicating with Israel, following what it described as sustained monitoring of collaboration networks.

Preliminary investigations showed that the suspect had been contacting Israel since early 2024 via applications on his mobile phone, offering services and work to the Mossad.

Legal measures were taken at the direction of the Military Public Prosecutor.

In October, the State Security also announced the arrest of a Palestinian man suspected of communicating with Israel after following the official Mossad page on Facebook.



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.