Fighting in South Lebanon Reaches Close Combat Stage

Israeli tanks are deployed along the northern Israeli border with Lebanon, 21 March 2026. EPA/ATEF SAFADI
Israeli tanks are deployed along the northern Israeli border with Lebanon, 21 March 2026. EPA/ATEF SAFADI
TT

Fighting in South Lebanon Reaches Close Combat Stage

Israeli tanks are deployed along the northern Israeli border with Lebanon, 21 March 2026. EPA/ATEF SAFADI
Israeli tanks are deployed along the northern Israeli border with Lebanon, 21 March 2026. EPA/ATEF SAFADI

Israeli advances in the border town of Khiam and the coastal village of Naqoura triggered fierce clashes with Hezbollah, which said its fighters battled Israeli forces for four hours in central Khiam, as sustained Israeli shelling pounded the surrounding areas and one-way attack drones entered the fight.

The Israeli push toward the outskirts of Bint Jbeil and the Litani River from the Maroun al-Ras and Taybeh axes slowed, with fighting shifting to Khiam, where Israeli forces are seeking full control after advancing on the western axis facing the Marjayoun plain, the third stage of an offensive toward northern Khiam.

The battle for Khiam

Battlefield sources in Marjayoun told Asharq Al-Awsat that fighting erupted with light and medium machine guns, in one of the rare instances in which such intense clashes have been heard so clearly in the area. Explosions were followed by thick smoke rising over central and western Khiam.

Clashes focused on the Jallahiya neighborhood, one of the last high ground positions in northwestern Khiam and a key link between the city’s center and its eastern and western sectors. Israeli tanks had reached the area days earlier before withdrawing, in what observers described as a probing move to test Hezbollah’s defenses.

The latest incursion followed four days of airstrikes targeting northern and eastern neighborhoods, alongside relentless artillery fire, paving the way for the advance.

Hezbollah said its fighters engaged Israeli forces at close range in Khiam using light and medium weapons and rocket-propelled grenades, with clashes lasting four hours. The group’s media described the fighting as direct contact with enemy forces. It also said the heaviest battles took place in Jallahiya and the city’s eastern quarter.

Rocket fire was reported to target Israeli troop concentrations near the Khiam detention center and the eastern quarter, as well as strikes on the Hadabat al-Ajl site north of Kfar Yuval and two other gatherings in Metula.

A powerful Israeli blast later shook Khiam, shattering shop windows in the nearby town of Qlayaa.

The battle for Naqoura

On the Naqoura coastal axis in southwestern Lebanon, clashes broke out for the first time since the war began on March 2, as Israeli forces advanced from two directions.

One push came from the seafront, an area local sources described as militarily exposed. The other came from the east, expanding from the Labouneh heights and the outskirts of Alma al-Shaab, which Israel pressed Lebanon to fully evacuate last week.

Sources said the advance was relatively easy due to the area’s uninhabited nature, extensive destruction from previous fighting, and subsequent clearing operations by the Lebanese army and UN peacekeepers under the mechanism.

A large stretch between the sea and Alma al-Shaab now functions as a security zone, hosting the main headquarters of the UN peacekeeping force.

They said the first line of defense has shifted to populated parts of Naqoura, where fighting erupted on Saturday. While Israel’s military has not announced operations there, Hezbollah media said its fighters were confronting Israeli attempts to advance toward the town.

Local media reported clashes on Naqoura’s outskirts from the directions of Alma al-Shaab and Labouneh.

Hezbollah said it targeted Israeli soldiers east of Naqoura with rocket barrages and artillery, and that its fighters clashed with a force attempting to infiltrate from the Tabbasin area toward the municipal building using light and medium weapons.

Sustained bombardment

Israeli strikes hit Beirut’s southern suburbs before dawn on Saturday after a two-day lull, following a broad evacuation warning. Two buildings were targeted in Burj al-Barajneh and Ghobeiry.

Israeli bombardment continued across southern Lebanon, hitting the outskirts of Ghandooriyeh, Tayri, Bint Jbeil, Deir Seryan, Mansouri, Jabal al-Rayhan, Shaaitiyeh, areas between Bazouriyeh and Burj al-Shamali, and Haniyeh and Hamoul east of Naqoura. A house in Zawtar al-Sharqiya was also destroyed.

Artillery fire struck Naqoura, Hamoul, Khiam, Taybeh, Markaba, Houla, Shaqra, Burj Qalaouiyeh, Ghandooriyeh, and the Qleileh plain south of Tyre.

Before dawn, Israeli warplanes carried out a heavy strike on a house in Kafra in the Bint Jbeil district, Lebanon’s state news agency said.



Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
TT

Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)

Syria's Interior Ministry announced on Saturday the arrest of a former officer in Bashar al-Assad's regime holding the rank of major general and accused of committing crimes and violations.

In a statement, the ministry said that "based on precise monitoring and surveillance operations, Internal Security Forces carried out a special security operation that resulted in the arrest of criminal Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf."

"The criminal held the rank of major general under the former regime and occupied several prominent military and leadership positions, including service in the Third Corps, command of the 18th Tank Division, chief of staff of the 11th Division in 2020, and commander of the 105th Republican Guard Brigade in 2016."

According to the statement, the detainee was referred to the relevant authorities to complete investigations and take the necessary legal measures before being referred to the judiciary.

Syrian military police deployed near the explosion site in Bab Sharqi, near the headquarters of the Syrian Defense Ministry in Damascus, Syria, May 19, 2026. EPA/MOHAMMEDALRIFAI

The Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported that the operation, carried out on Friday by the Salamiyah Security Directorate, which is affiliated with the Internal Security Command in Hama, comes "as part of the Interior Ministry's and relevant authorities' efforts to pursue and hold accountable those involved in crimes and violations committed against the Syrian people during the former regime, based on the principle of ending impunity, achieving transitional justice, and guaranteeing the rights of victims and their families."

Earlier on Friday, the Interior Ministry announced the arrest of Mohammed Imad Mahrez, one of the guards at Saydnaya prison during the former regime, making this the second such operation.


Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
TT

Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

Hezbollah said Saturday that a message from Tehran showed that Iran would not abandon the Lebanese militant group and that the Islamic republic's latest proposal to end the US-Iran war included a ceasefire in Lebanon.

Iran-backed Hezbollah said in a statement that its chief Naim Qassem had received a message from Tehran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, which indicated that Iran "will not give up its support for movements demanding justice and freedom, foremost among them Hezbollah".

In Iran's latest proposal through Pakistani mediators aimed at achieving "a permanent and stable end to the war, the demand to include Lebanon in the ceasefire was emphasised", the statement added.


South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
TT

South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)

Israel kept up strikes on Lebanon on Saturday, hours after overnight raids on the country's south and east, including one that damaged a hospital, its chief executive told AFP.

Lebanon's state-run National News Agency (NNA) reported Israeli airstrikes on around a dozen locations in the south on Saturday including one targeting an agricultural area, "wounding several Syrian workers".

The NNA said an overnight strike in the southern city of Tyre that targeted a site near the hospital caused "severe damage" to the facility.

An AFP correspondent saw shattered glass, ceiling panels blown out and damaged medical equipment at the multi-storey Hiram hospital.

The Israeli military late on Friday night had issued evacuation warnings ahead of strikes on two locations in Tyre, saying it would target "Hezbollah facilities".

Accompanying maps advised people to leave areas within 500 metres (yards) of the target buildings, with the Hiram hospital shown within the advised evacuation area.

The hospital's CEO Dr Salman Aydibi told AFP that around 40 patients were in the facility when the warning was issued, including seven in intensive care.

"We took the patients to a safer location" elsewhere inside the hospital, he said, adding that none were harmed but some 30 staff sustained minor injuries.

He said an evaluation of the damage was ongoing and that the hospital has remained operational, though the emergency department briefly closed.

He said it was the third strike near the facility since the latest Israel-Hezbollah war erupted on March 2.

Israel's army said Saturday that it had targeted "Hezbollah infrastructure sites in Tyre" overnight where operatives from the Iran-backed group worked to "plan and execute attacks" against Israeli soldiers.

"Prior to the strike, steps were taken to mitigate harm to civilians, including the issuing of advance warnings, the use of precise munitions, and aerial surveillance," it added.

Another AFP correspondent saw heavy damage at both targeted sites in Tyre, with a man searching for his belongings among the debris at one location.

Israel's army also targeted east Lebanon overnight, saying it struck a "Hezbollah underground compound" used to manufacture weapons.

Lebanon's Hamas-aligned Islamist group Jamaa Islamiya and its armed wing the Al-Fajr Forces said Saturday in a statement that one of its members was killed in an Israeli strike in east Lebanon.

Under the terms of the ceasefire published by Washington, Israel reserves the right to act against "planned, imminent or ongoing attacks".