Hezbollah 'Addresses Its Supporters'...Reveals Using Surface-to-Air Missiles

An Israeli helicopter flying in Israeli airspace near the border with Lebanon (EPA)
An Israeli helicopter flying in Israeli airspace near the border with Lebanon (EPA)
TT

Hezbollah 'Addresses Its Supporters'...Reveals Using Surface-to-Air Missiles

An Israeli helicopter flying in Israeli airspace near the border with Lebanon (EPA)
An Israeli helicopter flying in Israeli airspace near the border with Lebanon (EPA)

Hezbollah has, in recent days, activated the use of surface-to-air missiles to target Israeli drones, in addition to firing them at helicopters and fighter jets, according to statements it issued. It reported the downing of several drones in southern Lebanon and damage to a helicopter, while experts say these announcements are “directed inward to suggest that Israel does not have air superiority over Lebanon’s skies, a claim that is illusory.”

While the group had used this type of missile in the previous war in 2024, it has recently intensified their use, with five such operations recorded last Wednesday, raising questions about the types of missiles it possesses and their ability to alter the course of the battle, given Israel’s air superiority, which remains a decisive factor in favor of Tel Aviv.

Notably, last week the group announced that it had engaged an Israeli warplane over Beirut using a surface-to-air missile, in the first operation of its kind over the capital. This raised concerns about civil aviation, as the launch took place from the vicinity of Beirut International Airport.

Hezbollah has focused on using surface-to-air missiles in the southern border area, specifically in attempts to target and down Israeli helicopters during the evacuation of dead or wounded Israeli soldiers.

A Hezbollah fighter carrying an air defense missile during a previous military exercise (file photo – Asharq Al-Awsat)

What Missiles Is the Group Using?

Regarding the type of missiles used, Dr. Riad Kahwaji, a researcher and writer on security and defense affairs, said: “These missiles are shoulder-fired and are of the Misagh type, a modified and upgraded model similar to the Russian SAM-7. Hezbollah used them in the previous war and downed a number of drones with them.”

He added that the group announces such operations to claim that Israel does not have air superiority and that it possesses air defenses capable of confronting aircraft, in order to create an illusion for its audience.

“In reality, the maximum capability of these missiles is limited to targeting some drones, nothing more, given that Israeli fighter jets have overcome the advanced Russian S-300 air defense system, which is a highly advanced system.”

Kahwaji told Asharq Al-Awsat that “the air defenses possessed by the group do not pose any threat whatsoever, near or far, to Israeli aircraft, which enjoy complete air superiority over the skies of Lebanon and Iran.”

Types of Surface-to-Air Missiles

Misagh-2 missiles are relatively modern and effective against low-altitude targets. They track the heat signature of an aircraft or helicopter engine and are fired from the shoulder by a single soldier, with a range of between 5 and 6 kilometers. By contrast, the Russian S-300 is an integrated air defense system and one of the most well-known and most powerful long-range systems in the world, with a range of between 75 and 200 kilometers. Iran possesses the Russian S-300 system as well as the long-range Bavar-373 system, but it has not succeeded in downing any fighter jet during the ongoing US-Israeli war.

Hezbollah Operations

Hezbollah announced last week that it had launched a surface-to-air missile toward an Israeli warplane over Beirut. It also said it targeted an Israeli helicopter on Tuesday over the town of Yaroun with two surface-to-air missiles, stating that its fighters “achieved a confirmed hit.”

The group also said on Wednesday that it had downed an Israeli military drone of the Hermes 450 (Zik) type over the town of Aita al-Shaab using a surface-to-air missile. It added that its fighters also engaged an Israeli warplane on Wednesday over the town of Jouaiya using a surface-to-air missile.



Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
TT

Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)

Syria's Interior Ministry announced on Saturday the arrest of a former officer in Bashar al-Assad's regime holding the rank of major general and accused of committing crimes and violations.

In a statement, the ministry said that "based on precise monitoring and surveillance operations, Internal Security Forces carried out a special security operation that resulted in the arrest of criminal Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf."

"The criminal held the rank of major general under the former regime and occupied several prominent military and leadership positions, including service in the Third Corps, command of the 18th Tank Division, chief of staff of the 11th Division in 2020, and commander of the 105th Republican Guard Brigade in 2016."

According to the statement, the detainee was referred to the relevant authorities to complete investigations and take the necessary legal measures before being referred to the judiciary.

Syrian military police deployed near the explosion site in Bab Sharqi, near the headquarters of the Syrian Defense Ministry in Damascus, Syria, May 19, 2026. EPA/MOHAMMEDALRIFAI

The Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported that the operation, carried out on Friday by the Salamiyah Security Directorate, which is affiliated with the Internal Security Command in Hama, comes "as part of the Interior Ministry's and relevant authorities' efforts to pursue and hold accountable those involved in crimes and violations committed against the Syrian people during the former regime, based on the principle of ending impunity, achieving transitional justice, and guaranteeing the rights of victims and their families."

Earlier on Friday, the Interior Ministry announced the arrest of Mohammed Imad Mahrez, one of the guards at Saydnaya prison during the former regime, making this the second such operation.


Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
TT

Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

Hezbollah said Saturday that a message from Tehran showed that Iran would not abandon the Lebanese militant group and that the Islamic republic's latest proposal to end the US-Iran war included a ceasefire in Lebanon.

Iran-backed Hezbollah said in a statement that its chief Naim Qassem had received a message from Tehran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, which indicated that Iran "will not give up its support for movements demanding justice and freedom, foremost among them Hezbollah".

In Iran's latest proposal through Pakistani mediators aimed at achieving "a permanent and stable end to the war, the demand to include Lebanon in the ceasefire was emphasised", the statement added.


South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
TT

South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)

Israel kept up strikes on Lebanon on Saturday, hours after overnight raids on the country's south and east, including one that damaged a hospital, its chief executive told AFP.

Lebanon's state-run National News Agency (NNA) reported Israeli airstrikes on around a dozen locations in the south on Saturday including one targeting an agricultural area, "wounding several Syrian workers".

The NNA said an overnight strike in the southern city of Tyre that targeted a site near the hospital caused "severe damage" to the facility.

An AFP correspondent saw shattered glass, ceiling panels blown out and damaged medical equipment at the multi-storey Hiram hospital.

The Israeli military late on Friday night had issued evacuation warnings ahead of strikes on two locations in Tyre, saying it would target "Hezbollah facilities".

Accompanying maps advised people to leave areas within 500 metres (yards) of the target buildings, with the Hiram hospital shown within the advised evacuation area.

The hospital's CEO Dr Salman Aydibi told AFP that around 40 patients were in the facility when the warning was issued, including seven in intensive care.

"We took the patients to a safer location" elsewhere inside the hospital, he said, adding that none were harmed but some 30 staff sustained minor injuries.

He said an evaluation of the damage was ongoing and that the hospital has remained operational, though the emergency department briefly closed.

He said it was the third strike near the facility since the latest Israel-Hezbollah war erupted on March 2.

Israel's army said Saturday that it had targeted "Hezbollah infrastructure sites in Tyre" overnight where operatives from the Iran-backed group worked to "plan and execute attacks" against Israeli soldiers.

"Prior to the strike, steps were taken to mitigate harm to civilians, including the issuing of advance warnings, the use of precise munitions, and aerial surveillance," it added.

Another AFP correspondent saw heavy damage at both targeted sites in Tyre, with a man searching for his belongings among the debris at one location.

Israel's army also targeted east Lebanon overnight, saying it struck a "Hezbollah underground compound" used to manufacture weapons.

Lebanon's Hamas-aligned Islamist group Jamaa Islamiya and its armed wing the Al-Fajr Forces said Saturday in a statement that one of its members was killed in an Israeli strike in east Lebanon.

Under the terms of the ceasefire published by Washington, Israel reserves the right to act against "planned, imminent or ongoing attacks".