Israeli Strikes Target ‘Joint Force’ Fighters in Gaza

Mourners react during the funeral of Palestinians who were killed in an Israeli strike, according to medics, at Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in Deir al-Balah, central Gaza Strip, April 11, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Mourners react during the funeral of Palestinians who were killed in an Israeli strike, according to medics, at Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in Deir al-Balah, central Gaza Strip, April 11, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

Israeli Strikes Target ‘Joint Force’ Fighters in Gaza

Mourners react during the funeral of Palestinians who were killed in an Israeli strike, according to medics, at Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in Deir al-Balah, central Gaza Strip, April 11, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Mourners react during the funeral of Palestinians who were killed in an Israeli strike, according to medics, at Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in Deir al-Balah, central Gaza Strip, April 11, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

Israeli strikes in the Gaza Strip have recently focused on targeting Palestinian faction fighters operating within what is known as the “joint force,” deployed near sensitive areas close to the so-called “yellow line,” Palestinian sources said.

The force is tasked with preventing infiltration by Israeli special units or armed groups, particularly in zones a few hundred meters from the line.

Israeli forces and allied armed groups are positioned inside the “yellow line,” described as the initial withdrawal boundary under a ceasefire agreement that took effect on Oct. 10, 2025.

The line covers around 52 percent of the Gaza Strip, while Hamas and other Palestinian factions are deployed to the west, seeking to prevent incursions into their areas of control and avert attempts to create “chaos” through field operations, including assassinations or abductions.

An Israeli drone strike late Friday killed six fighters from the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, the armed wing of Hamas, as they were deployed in Bureij refugee camp in central Gaza, according to local sources.

The bodies were brought in pieces to Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in Deir al-Balah, while several other fighters and civilians were wounded, some critically, in the strike, which involved two missiles.

Hundreds of Palestinians attended the funeral on Saturday at the main mosque in Bureij camp.

A field source told Asharq Al-Awsat that those killed included a company commander and his deputy in the Qassam Brigades. They had arrived in the area to inspect fighters deployed there just one day after armed group members attempted to infiltrate near the Anis Stadium area, located several hundred meters west of the yellow line.

The deployment aimed to counter any renewed infiltration attempts, the source said.

In recent days, Israeli forces and allied armed groups have concentrated their attacks in central Gaza, killing several Palestinian faction fighters, most of them from the Qassam Brigades, including some displaced from northern areas.

The number of Palestinians killed since the ceasefire took effect has risen to more than 749, bringing the overall death toll since Oct. 7, 2023 to 72,328, according to Palestinian figures.

Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem said the Bureij strike and what he described as ongoing Israeli violations show that the offensive “has not stopped,” despite claims that the ceasefire is holding.

He added that the developments underscore the need to compel Israel to fully implement the first phase of the ceasefire agreement, including halting daily violations, before moving to the second phase.

Hamas told mediators and the high representative of the Peace Council, Nikolay Mladenov, during meetings in Cairo last week that it and other factions want Israel to fully implement the first phase before advancing further.

Cairo has been hosting new rounds of Palestinian talks since Friday, along with meetings involving mediators and Mladenov to discuss the factions’ final response to a proposed disarmament plan.

Dispute over aid deliveries

The talks come amid Hamas criticism of Mladenov after he said Thursday that 602 trucks carrying goods and aid had entered Gaza.

Gaza’s government media office and Hamas denied the figure.

In a post on X, Mladenov said: “Today, 602 trucks entered Gaza carrying essential supplies for families who have waited too long. This is what expanded aid access should look like, and it must become the daily standard, not the exception.”

He noted that the deliveries were made possible by efforts from his team, the Gaza Administration Committee and the Peace Council, adding that all parties must fully adhere to ceasefire commitments.

His comments came as Reuters reported, citing sources, that the Peace Council faces funding challenges affecting the Gaza administration body’s ability to assume its responsibilities and delaying reconstruction, claims the council has denied.

Bassem Naim, a member of Hamas’s political bureau and part of its negotiating delegation, described Mladenov’s statements as “misleading,” saying only 207 trucks entered Gaza on Thursday, including 79 carrying aid.

He stressed that Israel was meeting less than 38 percent of its agreed commitments to allow aid into Gaza.

“This misinformation does not conceal the worsening humanitarian catastrophe,” Naim underlined, calling on the international community to ensure full implementation of the first phase of the ceasefire.

Gaza’s government media office confirmed the 207-truck figure, saying deliveries fall far short of humanitarian needs.

The Gaza Chamber of Commerce revealed that average daily truck entries do not exceed 113, about 19 percent of the minimum required, with 86 percent consisting of food items and a near absence of production inputs, reflecting severe economic paralysis and contributing to shortages, market imbalances and rising prices.



Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
TT

Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)

Syria's Interior Ministry announced on Saturday the arrest of a former officer in Bashar al-Assad's regime holding the rank of major general and accused of committing crimes and violations.

In a statement, the ministry said that "based on precise monitoring and surveillance operations, Internal Security Forces carried out a special security operation that resulted in the arrest of criminal Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf."

"The criminal held the rank of major general under the former regime and occupied several prominent military and leadership positions, including service in the Third Corps, command of the 18th Tank Division, chief of staff of the 11th Division in 2020, and commander of the 105th Republican Guard Brigade in 2016."

According to the statement, the detainee was referred to the relevant authorities to complete investigations and take the necessary legal measures before being referred to the judiciary.

Syrian military police deployed near the explosion site in Bab Sharqi, near the headquarters of the Syrian Defense Ministry in Damascus, Syria, May 19, 2026. EPA/MOHAMMEDALRIFAI

The Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported that the operation, carried out on Friday by the Salamiyah Security Directorate, which is affiliated with the Internal Security Command in Hama, comes "as part of the Interior Ministry's and relevant authorities' efforts to pursue and hold accountable those involved in crimes and violations committed against the Syrian people during the former regime, based on the principle of ending impunity, achieving transitional justice, and guaranteeing the rights of victims and their families."

Earlier on Friday, the Interior Ministry announced the arrest of Mohammed Imad Mahrez, one of the guards at Saydnaya prison during the former regime, making this the second such operation.


Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
TT

Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

Hezbollah said Saturday that a message from Tehran showed that Iran would not abandon the Lebanese militant group and that the Islamic republic's latest proposal to end the US-Iran war included a ceasefire in Lebanon.

Iran-backed Hezbollah said in a statement that its chief Naim Qassem had received a message from Tehran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, which indicated that Iran "will not give up its support for movements demanding justice and freedom, foremost among them Hezbollah".

In Iran's latest proposal through Pakistani mediators aimed at achieving "a permanent and stable end to the war, the demand to include Lebanon in the ceasefire was emphasised", the statement added.


South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
TT

South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)

Israel kept up strikes on Lebanon on Saturday, hours after overnight raids on the country's south and east, including one that damaged a hospital, its chief executive told AFP.

Lebanon's state-run National News Agency (NNA) reported Israeli airstrikes on around a dozen locations in the south on Saturday including one targeting an agricultural area, "wounding several Syrian workers".

The NNA said an overnight strike in the southern city of Tyre that targeted a site near the hospital caused "severe damage" to the facility.

An AFP correspondent saw shattered glass, ceiling panels blown out and damaged medical equipment at the multi-storey Hiram hospital.

The Israeli military late on Friday night had issued evacuation warnings ahead of strikes on two locations in Tyre, saying it would target "Hezbollah facilities".

Accompanying maps advised people to leave areas within 500 metres (yards) of the target buildings, with the Hiram hospital shown within the advised evacuation area.

The hospital's CEO Dr Salman Aydibi told AFP that around 40 patients were in the facility when the warning was issued, including seven in intensive care.

"We took the patients to a safer location" elsewhere inside the hospital, he said, adding that none were harmed but some 30 staff sustained minor injuries.

He said an evaluation of the damage was ongoing and that the hospital has remained operational, though the emergency department briefly closed.

He said it was the third strike near the facility since the latest Israel-Hezbollah war erupted on March 2.

Israel's army said Saturday that it had targeted "Hezbollah infrastructure sites in Tyre" overnight where operatives from the Iran-backed group worked to "plan and execute attacks" against Israeli soldiers.

"Prior to the strike, steps were taken to mitigate harm to civilians, including the issuing of advance warnings, the use of precise munitions, and aerial surveillance," it added.

Another AFP correspondent saw heavy damage at both targeted sites in Tyre, with a man searching for his belongings among the debris at one location.

Israel's army also targeted east Lebanon overnight, saying it struck a "Hezbollah underground compound" used to manufacture weapons.

Lebanon's Hamas-aligned Islamist group Jamaa Islamiya and its armed wing the Al-Fajr Forces said Saturday in a statement that one of its members was killed in an Israeli strike in east Lebanon.

Under the terms of the ceasefire published by Washington, Israel reserves the right to act against "planned, imminent or ongoing attacks".