Sources Reveal to Asharq Al-Awsat How Hamas Identified Suspects in the Assassinations of Haddad and Ouda

 Palestinians inspect the site of a destroyed building as smoke billows following an Israeli airstrike in the Al Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City, Gaza Strip, 15 May 2026 EPA/MOHAMMED SABER
Palestinians inspect the site of a destroyed building as smoke billows following an Israeli airstrike in the Al Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City, Gaza Strip, 15 May 2026 EPA/MOHAMMED SABER
TT

Sources Reveal to Asharq Al-Awsat How Hamas Identified Suspects in the Assassinations of Haddad and Ouda

 Palestinians inspect the site of a destroyed building as smoke billows following an Israeli airstrike in the Al Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City, Gaza Strip, 15 May 2026 EPA/MOHAMMED SABER
Palestinians inspect the site of a destroyed building as smoke billows following an Israeli airstrike in the Al Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City, Gaza Strip, 15 May 2026 EPA/MOHAMMED SABER

The announcement by security bodies affiliated with Hamas in Gaza that they had executed a Palestinian convicted of "collaborating" in the killing of the late Izz al-Din Haddad, former commander of the Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades, the movement's armed wing, drew attention inside and outside Gaza. The announcement came nearly two months after Israel killed Haddad and his successor, Mohammed Ouda, in separate strikes less than two weeks apart.

Hamas sources told Asharq Al-Awsat some details of how suspects in the killings of Haddad and Ouda were identified, revealing that the movement's security services are preparing to announce another execution involving a second individual accused of providing information that helped facilitate Ouda's assassination.

Although a ceasefire was supposed to have taken effect in Gaza last October, Israel has continued to kill members and senior figures of Hamas and the Qassam Brigades.

A statement issued Wednesday evening by the so-called "Resistance Security" in Gaza said it had executed an individual identified only by the initials "M.M." after completing what it described as all "revolutionary procedures." The statement said the man had been convicted of collaborating with Israeli intelligence and providing information that led to several attacks resulting in the deaths of Palestinians, including leaders of armed factions, most recently Haddad.

Two Hamas sources, one with field knowledge and the other from the movement's security apparatus, separately described to Asharq Al-Awsat how the suspect was apprehended.

Went to the Hospital to Confirm Victims' Identities

The field source said the suspect was arrested immediately after Haddad's assassination on May 15, 2026, at the scene of the attack after being observed communicating with an Israeli intelligence officer.

The security source, however, said the suspect was arrested the following day after he was spotted at the attack site. The source said he was also seen at Al-Shifa Hospital on the day of the strike to verify the identities of those killed and wounded. He allegedly returned to the hospital the next day, searching the buildings for resistance members who had been injured in earlier airstrikes.

Both sources claimed the suspect confessed immediately after his arrest to collaborating with Israeli intelligence, which they said had recruited him to monitor several locations linked to the Haddad family. They said he admitted moving between those locations and being present at the scene after Haddad, his wife and his daughter were targeted while traveling in a vehicle on Al-Wahda Street east of Gaza City.

According to the security source, the 47-year-old suspect also confessed to providing information that contributed to the killings of around 30 fighters from the Qassam Brigades and other armed factions, most of them from the Sheikh Radwan Battalion. The source added that surveillance equipment and devices used to track entry and exit routes were found in his possession when he was arrested at Al-Shifa Hospital.

Smoke billows from a residential building that was hit by an Israeli strike the previous day in the Rimal neighbourhood of Gaza City on May 16, 2026.(Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

Intensive Surveillance of Mohammed Ouda's Wife

The two sources said Hamas is continuing efforts to track down and arrest individuals it describes as collaborators.

The security source said another suspect was arrested two days after the killing of Mohammed Ouda, who had assumed command of the Qassam Brigades' General Staff following Haddad's death before being killed by Israel on May 26.

The source said the detainee in the Ouda case was not a Hamas member and would also be executed after all "revolutionary procedures" had been completed.

According to sources in Gaza, the term "revolutionary procedures" refers to informing the suspect's family, the families of those allegedly killed as a result of information he provided, and the armed factions of the investigation's findings.

The Hamas security source said the suspect in Ouda's assassination admitted collaborating with Israeli intelligence and contributing to the killing of several prominent field operatives, in addition to his alleged role in Ouda's assassination. According to the source, the suspect's Shin Bet handler provided him with information related to the Haddad family's identity and whereabouts and specifically instructed him to monitor Ouda's wife.

The field source added that on the day Ouda was killed, his wife was under close surveillance by the alleged collaborator as she prepared the evening meal for the Day of Arafah fast. She reportedly left the family's newly rented apartment to prepare the meal while Ouda was on his way to join them. He later arrived and ate with his family before the apartment was struck, after the detained suspect allegedly confirmed to his handlers that they were all inside.

The source said Hamas security personnel had become suspicious of several individuals in the vicinity of the apartment targeted in the strike on Ouda and monitored the suspect for some time before arresting him.

According to the two sources, modern communication devices were seized from both suspects accused in the assassinations of Haddad and Ouda.

During the war and after the ceasefire, Hamas security services have executed several people convicted of collaborating with Israel in connection with a series of assassinations targeting senior leaders, including the late Qassam Brigades commander Mohammed Deif. According to the sources, some of those executed were Hamas members, although most were not affiliated with the movement.



Palestinian-American Returns to West Bank to Defend His Home Under Siege by Israeli Settlers

 Palestinian-American Louis Ridi, who seeks access to his home in the Israeli-occupied West Bank that has been encircled by militant settlers for more than a week, embraces his mother at her home, in Qusra village, Israeli-occupied West Bank, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Palestinian-American Louis Ridi, who seeks access to his home in the Israeli-occupied West Bank that has been encircled by militant settlers for more than a week, embraces his mother at her home, in Qusra village, Israeli-occupied West Bank, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Palestinian-American Returns to West Bank to Defend His Home Under Siege by Israeli Settlers

 Palestinian-American Louis Ridi, who seeks access to his home in the Israeli-occupied West Bank that has been encircled by militant settlers for more than a week, embraces his mother at her home, in Qusra village, Israeli-occupied West Bank, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Palestinian-American Louis Ridi, who seeks access to his home in the Israeli-occupied West Bank that has been encircled by militant settlers for more than a week, embraces his mother at her home, in Qusra village, Israeli-occupied West Bank, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)

The Palestinian-American whose home in the occupied West Bank has been besieged by Israeli settlers for over a week arrived in the region Monday and said he planned to join other family members in defending the property.

The standoff, in the village of Qusra, has seen groups of settlers surround several Palestinian houses and prevent residents from leaving.

The United States has condemned the siege and the Israeli military has deployed troops it says are there to maintain order.

The siege of Palestinian homes by Israeli settlers comes as violence in the West Bank has soared in recent months. The settlers, emboldened by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s right-wing government, have ramped up attacks on Palestinian towns and villages, harassing residents and setting homes, mosques and fields ablaze.

As Loui Ridi, an Ohio-based owner of one of the houses, landed in Israel, settlers were still roaming near Qusra, according to video footage taken by his brother.

Qusai Abu Rida and his teenage son have stayed inside the home to protect it from the settlers.

“I’m terrified for my brother and his son and their safety," Ridi told reporters at Israel's main international airport. “And now I'm going to have to fear for my own safety.”

He said he would try to reach Qusra, which is about 10 miles (16 kilometers) southeast of Nablus, but was unsure if he would be able to enter. The Israeli army declared the part of Qusra where Ridi's home is located a closed military zone last week.

According to Palestinian health officials, Israeli soldiers and settlers have killed 87 Palestinians so far this year. Palestinians have killed three Israelis, including two who were killed in the West Bank village of Tell last month.


Israeli Flags on Lebanon Road Violate UN Resolution, UNIFIL Says

A photograph taken from the southern Lebanese village of Chaqra shows an Israeli flag fluttering over the burnt fields of the border village of Mais al-Jabal, burnt during Israeli military operations on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
A photograph taken from the southern Lebanese village of Chaqra shows an Israeli flag fluttering over the burnt fields of the border village of Mais al-Jabal, burnt during Israeli military operations on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Israeli Flags on Lebanon Road Violate UN Resolution, UNIFIL Says

A photograph taken from the southern Lebanese village of Chaqra shows an Israeli flag fluttering over the burnt fields of the border village of Mais al-Jabal, burnt during Israeli military operations on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
A photograph taken from the southern Lebanese village of Chaqra shows an Israeli flag fluttering over the burnt fields of the border village of Mais al-Jabal, burnt during Israeli military operations on August 11, 2026. (AFP)

Israeli flags planted on a main coastal highway in southern Lebanon are a violation of a UN Security Council resolution, the UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon said on Monday, urging all sides to avoid "provocative actions".

Israel's military invaded a swathe of southern Lebanon during a war with Hezbollah earlier this year, occupying a self-declared security zone it says aims to shield northern Israel from attacks by the Iran-backed group.

A video posted on Sunday by Israel's Channel 12 news journalist Amit Segal showed Israeli flags flying along the Naqoura-Tyre coastal road, a primary artery for southern ‌Lebanon and a route ‌used by the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL).

The footage ‌appeared ⁠to have been ⁠taken from a military vehicle.

Reuters was able to confirm the location of the video, but could not verify when the footage was filmed. Segal told Reuters he was sent the video by Israeli soldiers.

Peacekeepers have observed several Israeli flags in Lebanese territory, including recently on the coastal road and in Naqoura village, UNIFIL spokesperson Kandice Ardiel said.

Ardiel said the Israeli flags were a violation of UN Security Council resolution 1701, ⁠which ended a 2006 war between Israel and Hezbollah.

"As always, ‌we call on the Israeli army and all actors ‌to cease violations of the resolution and avoid any provocative action that could increase tensions ‌or trigger further violations," Ardiel added.

Israel's military, in response to a request for ‌comment, said that its forces were "operating in southern Lebanon with the aim of removing threats posed by the Hezbollah terrorist organization to Israeli civilians and troops, in accordance with international law".

"Israel is not acting against the Lebanese state or its citizens," the military said.

There was no ‌immediate comment from the Lebanese army.

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said last week that Israel won't withdraw from southern ⁠Lebanon until Hezbollah ⁠is disarmed.

A US-brokered deal between the governments of Lebanon and Israel foresees a progressive Israeli withdrawal linked to Hezbollah's verified disarmament.

Hezbollah, founded by Iran's Revolutionary Guards in 1982, strongly opposes Beirut's talks with Israel and has ruled out any discussion of its weapons before an Israeli withdrawal.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is facing an October election, listed the buffer zone as a major achievement when visiting troops on June 30.

The zone is mostly empty of Lebanese civilians who fled villages that are now all but destroyed.

At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon on Saturday, the Lebanese health ministry said, some of the deadliest in weeks. The Israeli military said it struck Hezbollah infrastructure in response to actions against its soldiers there.


UN Rights Chief Alarmed about Risk of ‘Full-Scale Conflict’ in Yemen

27 December 2024, Yemen, Sanaa: A Houthi supporter brandishes a rifle during a demonstration against the United States and Israel in Sanaa, Yemen. (dpa)
27 December 2024, Yemen, Sanaa: A Houthi supporter brandishes a rifle during a demonstration against the United States and Israel in Sanaa, Yemen. (dpa)
TT

UN Rights Chief Alarmed about Risk of ‘Full-Scale Conflict’ in Yemen

27 December 2024, Yemen, Sanaa: A Houthi supporter brandishes a rifle during a demonstration against the United States and Israel in Sanaa, Yemen. (dpa)
27 December 2024, Yemen, Sanaa: A Houthi supporter brandishes a rifle during a demonstration against the United States and Israel in Sanaa, Yemen. (dpa)

The UN rights chief voiced alarm Monday at the rising civilian toll of escalating hostilities in Yemen, and called for efforts to avoid plunging the country back into full-scale war.

"I call on all parties to de-escalate tensions and spare the Yemeni people from further misery. The Yemeni people have already suffered way too much from the devastating legacy of years of conflict, displacement and humanitarian crisis," Volker Turk said.

"I urge all parties to halt immediately any actions that risk returning Yemen to full-scale conflict."

The Iran-backed Houthi militia escalated their attacks on government positions in recent weeks, risking plunging the country into war after relative calm following a 2022 truce.