Federal Reserve is Set to Cut Rates Again

The exterior of the Marriner S. Eccles Federal Reserve Board Building is seen in Washington, D.C., US, June 14, 2022. REUTERS/Sarah Silbiger/File Photo
The exterior of the Marriner S. Eccles Federal Reserve Board Building is seen in Washington, D.C., US, June 14, 2022. REUTERS/Sarah Silbiger/File Photo
TT

Federal Reserve is Set to Cut Rates Again

The exterior of the Marriner S. Eccles Federal Reserve Board Building is seen in Washington, D.C., US, June 14, 2022. REUTERS/Sarah Silbiger/File Photo
The exterior of the Marriner S. Eccles Federal Reserve Board Building is seen in Washington, D.C., US, June 14, 2022. REUTERS/Sarah Silbiger/File Photo

No one knows how Tuesday's presidential election will turn out, but the US Federal Reserve's move two days later is much easier to predict: With inflation continuing to cool, the Fed is set to cut interest rates for a second time this year.
The presidential contest might still be unresolved when the Fed ends its two-day meeting Thursday afternoon, yet that uncertainty would have no effect on its decision to further reduce its benchmark rate. The Fed's future actions, though, will become more unsettled once a new president and Congress take office in January, particularly if Donald Trump were to win the White House again, The Associated Press reported.
Trump's proposals to impose high tariffs on all imports and launch mass deportations of unauthorized immigrants and his threat to intrude on the Fed's normally independent rate decisions could send inflation surging, economists have said. Higher inflation would, in turn, compel the Fed to slow or stop its rate cuts.
On Thursday, the Fed's policymakers, led by Chair Jerome Powell, are on track to cut their benchmark rate by a quarter-point, to about 4.6%, after having implemented a half-point reduction in September. Economists expect another quarter-point rate cut in December and possibly additional such moves next year. Over time, rate cuts tend to lower the costs of borrowing for consumers and businesses.
The Fed is reducing its rate for a different reason than it usually does: It often cuts rates to boost a sluggish economy and a weak job market by encouraging more borrowing and spending. But the economy is growing briskly, and the unemployment rate is a low 4.1%, the government reported Friday, even with hurricanes and a strike at Boeing having sharply depressed net job growth last month.
Instead, the central bank is lowering rates as part of what Powell has called “a recalibration” to a lower-inflation environment. When inflation spiked to a four-decade high of 9.1% in June 2022, the Fed proceeded to raise rates 11 times — ultimately sending its key rate to about 5.3%, also the highest in four decades.
But in September, year-over-year inflation dropped to 2.4%, barely above the Fed's 2% target and equal to its level in 2018. With inflation having fallen so far, Powell and other Fed officials have said they think high borrowing rates are no longer necessary. High borrowing rates typically restrict growth, particularly in interest-rate-sensitive sectors such as housing and auto sales.
“The restriction was in place because inflation was elevated,” said Claudia Sahm, chief economist at New Century Advisors and a former Fed economist. “Inflation is no longer elevated. The reason for the restriction is gone.”
Fed officials have suggested that their rate cuts would be gradual. But nearly all of them have expressed support for some further reductions.
“For me, the central question is how much and how fast to reduce the target for the (Fed's key) rate, which I believe is currently set at a restrictive level,” Christopher Waller, an influential member of the Fed's Board of Directors, said in a speech last month.
Jonathan Pingle, an economist at Swiss bank UBS, said that Waller's phrasing reflected “unusual confidence and conviction that rates were headed lower."
Next year, the Fed will likely start to wrestle with the question of just how low their benchmark rate should go. Eventually, they may want to set it at a level that neither restricts nor stimulates growth — “neutral” in Fed parlance.
Powell and other Fed officials acknowledge that they don't know exactly where the neutral rate is. In September, the Fed's rate-setting committee estimated that it was 2.9%. Most economists think it's closer to 3% to 3.5%.
The Fed chair said the officials have to assess where neutral is by how the economy responds to rate cuts. For now, most officials are confident that at 4.9%, the Fed's current rate is far above neutral.
Some economists argue, though, that with the economy looking healthy even with high borrowing rates, the Fed doesn't need to ease credit much, if at all. The idea is that they may already be close to the level of interest rates that neither slows nor stimulates the economy.
“If the unemployment rate stays in the low 4's and the economy is still going to grow at 3%, does it matter that the (Fed's) rate is 4.75% to 5%?” said Joe LaVorgna, chief economist at SMBC Nikko Securities, asked. “Why are they cutting now?”
With the Fed's latest meeting coming right after Election Day, Powell will likely field questions at his news conference Thursday about the outcome of the presidential race and how it might affect the economy and inflation. He can be expected to reiterate that the Fed's decisions aren't affected by politics at all.
During Trump's presidency, he imposed tariffs on washing machines, solar panels, steel and a range of goods from China, which President Joe Biden maintained. Though studies show that washing machine prices rose as a result, overall inflation did not rise much.
But Trump is now proposing significantly broader tariffs — essentially, import taxes — that would raise the prices of about 10 times as many goods from overseas.
Many mainstream economists are alarmed by Trump’s latest proposed tariffs, which they say would almost certainly reignite inflation. A report by the Peterson Institute for International Economics concluded that Trump’s main tariff proposals would make inflation 2 percentage points higher next year than it otherwise would have been.
The Fed could be more likely to raise rates in response to tariffs this time, according to economists at Pantheon Macroeconomics, "given that Trump is threatening much bigger increases in tariffs.”
“Accordingly," they wrote, “we will scale back the reduction in the funds rate in our 2025 forecasts if Trump wins.”



Saudi Arabia Launches First Endowment Fund for Environmental, Water and Agricultural Sustainability

The launch of the Namaa Endowment Fund (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The launch of the Namaa Endowment Fund (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Saudi Arabia Launches First Endowment Fund for Environmental, Water and Agricultural Sustainability

The launch of the Namaa Endowment Fund (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The launch of the Namaa Endowment Fund (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Saudi Arabia has launched its first endowment fund dedicated to advancing environmental, water and agricultural sustainability, reinforcing efforts to strengthen the Kingdom’s non-profit sector and long-term development.

Minister of Environment, Water and Agriculture Eng. Abdulrahman Al-Fadhli on Tuesday inaugurated the Namaa Endowment Fund at the ministry’s headquarters, in the presence of senior officials and stakeholders.

The fund is designed to support economic and social development goals, address community needs, increase the non-profit sector’s contribution to GDP, and promote sustainable management of environmental, water and agricultural resources.

Al-Fadhli said the fund represents a new model of institutional endowment work and a practical mechanism to expand developmental impact while ensuring the sustainability of non-profit initiatives.

Developed in partnership with the General Authority for Awqaf, the fund aims to build assets commensurate with its ambitions, enabling higher returns and a wider impact over the long term.

It will pursue carefully structured investments that balance financial performance with developmental outcomes, with the potential to own or benefit from real estate assets that can be used by non-profit organizations.

Encouraging Private-Sector Participation

Al-Fadhli added that the ministry, in cooperation with the General Authority for Awqaf, the Capital Market Authority and AlAhli Capital, will support the fund and encourage contributions from the private sector, business leaders and the wider public.

Contributions will be made through a licensed digital platform under strict financial governance. He called on all segments of society to contribute in support of sustainable development across the environment, water and agriculture sectors.

Namaa will finance endowment initiatives within the ministry’s ecosystem, including the non-profit institutions Reef, Morooj and Saqaya. Its focus areas include water provision and conservation, afforestation, biodiversity protection, vegetation cover, the circular economy, sustainable agriculture and irrigation, and reducing food loss and waste.

Emad Alkharashi, Governor of the General Authority for Awqaf, announced an initial contribution of SAR100 million, describing it as a foundation for a sustainable endowment model.

He said the fund combines the legacy of endowments with modern investment practices to protect natural resources, strengthen food security and ensure lasting developmental impact.

Alkharashi added that the partnership with the ministry maximizes results and positions the fund as a model for directing endowments toward high-impact, long-term priorities through a transparent, well-governed institutional framework.


Makkah Gears Up for Ramadan with Tourism Drive, Record Hospitality Growth  

Tourism Minister Ahmed Al-Khateeb and other officials during his inspection tour on Tuesday. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Tourism Minister Ahmed Al-Khateeb and other officials during his inspection tour on Tuesday. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Makkah Gears Up for Ramadan with Tourism Drive, Record Hospitality Growth  

Tourism Minister Ahmed Al-Khateeb and other officials during his inspection tour on Tuesday. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Tourism Minister Ahmed Al-Khateeb and other officials during his inspection tour on Tuesday. (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Tourism has raised the readiness of Makkah’s hospitality sector to its highest level ahead of the holy month of Ramadan, stressing that serving pilgrims and visitors remains a top national priority.

Makkah is preparing to receive worshippers and visitors amid a marked expansion in hospitality capacity. The city now has more than 2,200 licensed accommodation facilities, reflecting growth of 35 percent over the past year. The number of licensed hotel rooms has exceeded 380,000, up 25 percent, while total domestic and inbound tourism spending is projected to surpass SAR 143 billion ($38.1 billion) in 2025.

The wider Makkah region recorded unprecedented performance indicators last year, both in visitor numbers and tourism spending, underscoring sustained growth and operational readiness.

Total domestic and international visitors exceeded 50 million, marking a 14 percent increase compared with 2024.

Tourism Minister Ahmed Al-Khateeb announced the figures during an annual inspection tour on Tuesday, stressing that the indicators reflect a major expansion in accommodation capacity and record growth in visitor numbers.

The tour included inspections of temporary lodging facilities designated for pilgrims, part of a proactive plan to increase capacity during peak seasons, alongside early preparations for the upcoming Hajj.

Vision 2030 targets surpassed

Official data has shown that Saudi Arabia has exceeded its Vision 2030 targets for the Umrah. The number of pilgrims arriving from abroad rose from 8.5 million in 2019 to more than 18 million in 2025, surpassing the original goal of 15 million by 2030.

A number of hotels surrounding the Grand Mosque in Makkah. (General Authority for Awqaf)

Service quality indicators improved as well, with pilgrim satisfaction reaching 94 percent, exceeding Vision 2030 benchmarks.

Workforce development kept pace with demand, as the number of licensed tour guides rose to more than 980, a 23 percent increase.

Masar Mall project

Al-Khateeb announced a joint financing agreement between the Tourism Development Fund and the Arab National Bank with Hamat Holding to support the Masar Mall project. The development carries a total cost of SAR 936 million (about $250 million).

The project is expected to become the largest shopping center in Makkah with the capacity to accommodate around 20 million visitors annually.

Its location near the Haramain High-Speed Railway station and a direct pedestrian link to the Grand Mosque are expected to strengthen the city’s commercial and tourism infrastructure.

Jeddah: Gateway to pilgrims

Meanwhile, Jeddah continues to consolidate its position as a complementary destination to Makkah and a primary gateway for pilgrims, while also expanding its role as a coastal tourism hub.

The city welcomed more than 13 million domestic and international visitors in 2025, a 10 percent increase from 2024. Tourism spending reached SAR 28 billion ($7.47 billion), up 6 percent year on year.

Jeddah’s hospitality sector also expanded, with more than 500 licensed facilities and over 33,000 licensed rooms.

The city is currently developing 46 tourism projects valued at SAR 21 billion ($5.6 billion) and expected to add more than 11,000 hotel rooms and further strengthen its tourism infrastructure and economic value.


ECB President Lagarde Reportedly Plans to Quit Before Macron's Term Ends

FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde addresses the press following the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, February 5, 2026. REUTERS/Jana Rodenbusch/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde addresses the press following the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, February 5, 2026. REUTERS/Jana Rodenbusch/File Photo
TT

ECB President Lagarde Reportedly Plans to Quit Before Macron's Term Ends

FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde addresses the press following the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, February 5, 2026. REUTERS/Jana Rodenbusch/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde addresses the press following the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, February 5, 2026. REUTERS/Jana Rodenbusch/File Photo

European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde plans to leave her job before next year's French presidential election to allow Emmanuel Macron to have an input into picking her successor, the Financial Times reported on Wednesday.

Lagarde's term is due to end in October 2027 but some fear that the far right may win the French presidential race ‌in the spring of ‌2027, complicating the selection for the ‌new ⁠leader of Europe's most ⁠important financial institution.

Citing a person familiar with the matter, the FT said Lagarde has not yet decided on the exact timing of her departure but was keen on Macron and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz to be the key deciders in who succeeds her. Macron cannot run again for a third term.

"President Lagarde is ⁠totally focused on her mission and has not ‌taken any decision regarding the end ‌of her term," Reuters quoted an ECB spokesperson as saying.

The FT report comes only ‌a week after Bank of France Governor Francois Villeroy de Galhau ‌said he would step down in June this year, more than a year before the end of his term, allowing Macron to name his replacement before the presidential election that the far-right could win.

While it ‌will be up to all leaders from the 21-nation euro zone to pick Lagarde's successor, ⁠past practice ⁠suggests that any successful candidate must have both German and French support to clinch the role.

There are no formal candidates for the job yet but several names have been floating among ECB circles as potential ECB presidents. The most prominent among these are former Dutch central bank chief Klaas Knot and Bank for International Settlements General Manager Pablo Hernandez de Cos.

Lagarde's non-renewable term at the ECB runs until October 31, 2027. Prior to heading the ECB, she was managing director of the International Monetary Fund from 2011 to 2019 and before that, the French finance minister.