IEA Hails Saudi Arabia’s ‘Rapid Response’ to Strait of Hormuz Crisis

This photograph shows the entrance to the International Energy Agency (IEA) headquarters in Paris on March 11, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows the entrance to the International Energy Agency (IEA) headquarters in Paris on March 11, 2026. (AFP)
TT

IEA Hails Saudi Arabia’s ‘Rapid Response’ to Strait of Hormuz Crisis

This photograph shows the entrance to the International Energy Agency (IEA) headquarters in Paris on March 11, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows the entrance to the International Energy Agency (IEA) headquarters in Paris on March 11, 2026. (AFP)

Countries must resist the urge to hoard oil and fuel during the energy crisis triggered by the US-Israeli war on Iran, head of the International Energy Agency Fatih Birol warned on Sunday, with supplies expected to dwindle further if the Strait of Hormuz remains closed.

Birol praised Saudi Arabia for its rapid response to the crisis, after it rerouted over two-thirds of its oil exports through a pipeline to the Red Sea, bypassing the strait.

“I urge all countries not to impose bans or restrictions on exports,” Birol told the Financial Times. “It is the worst time when you look at the global oil markets. Their trade partners, their allies and their neighbors will suffer as a result.”

While he was careful not to name China directly, Birol’s comments appear to be aimed at Beijing.

China is the only major country to have banned the export of petrol, diesel and jet fuel in response to the five-week-old war, although India has imposed extra duties on exports.

Birol said “major countries in Asia who hold major refineries” should rethink any ban.

“If those countries continue to restrict or totally ban exports, the impact on the Asian markets will be dramatic.”

His plea for countries to avoid bans may also be pointed at the US, where rumors of a potential ban on refined fuel exports are circulating as gasoline prices pass $4 a gallon and California faces the threat of jet fuel shortages.

While the US supported a G7 call for no export bans, its energy secretary Chris Wright has so far only ruled out a ban on crude oil exports.

Birol said some countries are already hoarding energy, undermining the impact of the IEA’s move to release 400 million barrels of crude and fuel from emergency reserves in an effort to stabilize markets during the current conflict.

“Unfortunately, we see that some countries are adding to their existing stocks during our coordinated oil stock release,” he said. “They are stocking up. This is not helpful. In my view this is a time for all countries to prove they are a responsible member of the international community.”

Saudi response

Birol praised Saudi Arabia for its rapid response to the crisis, after it rerouted over two-thirds of its oil exports through a pipeline to the Red Sea, bypassing the strait.

He said he had been reassured by the “highest authorities in Saudi Arabia” that this key pipeline is “well protected.”

Birol, who as head of the IEA has been at the heart of discussions over how to respond to the crisis, warned that “in April, we will lose twice the amount of crude oil and [refined] products we lost in March” if the Hormuz Strait does not reopen to shipping.

In normal times, one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas flows through the waterway, which has been all but closed by Iranian threats to fire upon shipping.

“We are following all the key energy assets in the region on a daily or hourly basis,” he said, referring to oil and gas fields, pipelines, refineries and LNG terminals. “Currently there are 72 energy assets damaged and one-third are severely or very severely damaged,” he added.

Birol also said the current crisis would redraw the world’s energy system, as did previous crises in the 1970s and the one triggered by Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022.

He predicted that the current crisis would trigger another nuclear revival, a boom in electric vehicles and a push for more renewables, as well as prompting some countries to burn more coal. But he said the gas industry, which had presented itself as a reliable supplier, would have to “work hard to regain its reputation” after two energy shocks in four years.



Standard Chartered CEO Seeks to Reassure Staff over AI-linked Job Cuts

FILED - 11 January 2012, China, Hong Kong: FILE PHOTO - A general view of the facade of Standard Chartered Bank branch in Hong Kong. Photo: Jens Kalaene/dpa-Zentralbild/dpa
FILED - 11 January 2012, China, Hong Kong: FILE PHOTO - A general view of the facade of Standard Chartered Bank branch in Hong Kong. Photo: Jens Kalaene/dpa-Zentralbild/dpa
TT

Standard Chartered CEO Seeks to Reassure Staff over AI-linked Job Cuts

FILED - 11 January 2012, China, Hong Kong: FILE PHOTO - A general view of the facade of Standard Chartered Bank branch in Hong Kong. Photo: Jens Kalaene/dpa-Zentralbild/dpa
FILED - 11 January 2012, China, Hong Kong: FILE PHOTO - A general view of the facade of Standard Chartered Bank branch in Hong Kong. Photo: Jens Kalaene/dpa-Zentralbild/dpa

Standard Chartered CEO Bill Winters sought to assuage staff concerns on Wednesday, a day after saying that the bank will cut thousands of jobs over the next four years as it moves to replace "lower-value human capital" with technology.

"Many of you will have seen media coverage following the Investor Event in Hong Kong, particularly the reporting around automation, AI, and workforce changes," Winters said in a memo to the bank's ⁠staff reviewed by ⁠Reuters.

"I know this may be unsettling when reduced to simple headlines or a quote out of context," he said.

A spokesperson for the bank confirmed the memo's content.

StanChart said on Tuesday it would cut 15% of ⁠its corporate function roles by 2030, which, according to a Reuters calculation, would result in nearly 8,000 redundancies out of its more than 52,000 staff in such roles.

The bank cited AI as a driver to slim its operations in its quest to increase profitability and tackle competition.

"It's not cost-cutting. It's replacing in some cases lower-value human capital with the financial capital ⁠and ⁠the investment capital we're putting in," Winters said on Tuesday.

In his memo to staff on Wednesday, Winters said the bank had been open that its workforce will evolve.

"Some roles will reduce in number, some will change, and new opportunities will emerge. We will continue to prioritize investment in reskilling and redeployment wherever we can," he said.

"Where changes do happen, we will handle them with thought and care," he added.


Ukraine Ally Britain Eases Sanctions on Russian Oil as Fuel Prices Surge Over Iran Conflict

A seized suspected Russian oil taker by the French navy is photographed in the Mediterranean Sea in Fos-sur-Mer, southern France, on Jan. 26, 2026. (AP)
A seized suspected Russian oil taker by the French navy is photographed in the Mediterranean Sea in Fos-sur-Mer, southern France, on Jan. 26, 2026. (AP)
TT

Ukraine Ally Britain Eases Sanctions on Russian Oil as Fuel Prices Surge Over Iran Conflict

A seized suspected Russian oil taker by the French navy is photographed in the Mediterranean Sea in Fos-sur-Mer, southern France, on Jan. 26, 2026. (AP)
A seized suspected Russian oil taker by the French navy is photographed in the Mediterranean Sea in Fos-sur-Mer, southern France, on Jan. 26, 2026. (AP)

The UK government has quietly watered down sanctions on Russian oil in an effort to shelter Britons from the cost-of-living squeeze triggered by the closure of the Strait of Hormuz.

A trade license that came into effect Wednesday permits the import of Russian oil that has been refined into jet fuel and diesel in third countries, such as India and Türkiye.

The US-Israeli war on Iran and Iran's closure of the strait, through which about a fifth of the world's oil usually passes, has sent fuel prices soaring around the world and sparked concerns about a shortage of jet fuel.

UK Treasury minister Dan Tomlinson said the changes are “for a time limited period and on a very specific issue.”

Britain has been one of Ukraine's strongest allies since Russia's full-scale invasion in 2022, and the government insist its sanctions against Russia remain among the toughest in the world.

But lawmaker Emily Thornberry, who chairs Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee, said Ukrainians would “feel very let down” by the move. She said Ukraine’s allies should keep squeezing Russia’s oil industry, because it “is absolutely crippling their economy.”

The US has also eased Russian sanctions. Earlier this week, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent extended a 30-day sanctions waiver allowing the purchase of Russian oil shipments already at sea.

On Tuesday, finance ministers from the US, Britain and the other Group of Seven wealthy nations issued a joint statement reaffirming “our unwavering commitment to continue to impose severe costs on Russia in response to its continued aggression against Ukraine.”


QatarEnergy Buys Stakes in Uruguay Offshore Blocks from Shell Subsidiary

3D-printed oil pump jacks and the QatarEnergy logo appear in this illustration taken March 2, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration
3D-printed oil pump jacks and the QatarEnergy logo appear in this illustration taken March 2, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration
TT

QatarEnergy Buys Stakes in Uruguay Offshore Blocks from Shell Subsidiary

3D-printed oil pump jacks and the QatarEnergy logo appear in this illustration taken March 2, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration
3D-printed oil pump jacks and the QatarEnergy logo appear in this illustration taken March 2, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration

QatarEnergy has acquired interests in three offshore exploration blocks in Uruguay from a subsidiary of Shell, marking its first entry into the South American country's upstream energy sector, the state-owned company said on Wednesday without disclosing financial details.

The Qatari energy giant's South American exploration expansion also strengthens its strategic alliance with Shell, one of its key partners in energy projects within Qatar and elsewhere.

The company, the world's largest single LNG producer before the US-Israeli war on ⁠Iran forced production ⁠halts and resulted in damage to some facilities, has been building up an upstream portfolio over several years, including interests in Brazil, Cyprus, Egypt and elsewhere.

Under the agreements, QatarEnergy took 30% stakes in block OFF-2 and block OFF-7, where Shell ⁠is the operator and holds 70% and 40% respectively. QatarEnergy also acquired an 18% interest in block OFF-4.

APA Corporation operates block OFF-4, in which it holds a 50% stake and Shell holds 32%. In block OFF-7, Chevron holds the remaining 30% interest, QatarEnergy said.

"We are pleased to strengthen our relations with our strategic partner Shell through these agreements, which mark our first entry into Uruguay’s ⁠upstream sector," ⁠Reuters quoted QatarEnergy CEO Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi as saying in the statement.

The three blocks are located off Uruguay’s Atlantic coast in water depths ranging from 40 to 4,000 meters. They cover areas of between 11,155 and 18,227 sq km, the company said.

No commercial oil and gas discoveries have yet been struck in Uruguay, but companies hope to replicate the massive recent discoveries made in Namibia, on the direct opposite side of the Atlantic, because of their shared geological history.