Bagheri-Kani Visits Muscat as Oman, Iraq Discuss Transferring Iranian Funds

Chief Iranian nuclear negotiator Ali Bagheri-Kani with Undersecretary for Diplomatic Affairs at Oman's Foreign Ministry Khalifa al-Harthy. (Oman's Foreign Ministry)
Chief Iranian nuclear negotiator Ali Bagheri-Kani with Undersecretary for Diplomatic Affairs at Oman's Foreign Ministry Khalifa al-Harthy. (Oman's Foreign Ministry)
TT

Bagheri-Kani Visits Muscat as Oman, Iraq Discuss Transferring Iranian Funds

Chief Iranian nuclear negotiator Ali Bagheri-Kani with Undersecretary for Diplomatic Affairs at Oman's Foreign Ministry Khalifa al-Harthy. (Oman's Foreign Ministry)
Chief Iranian nuclear negotiator Ali Bagheri-Kani with Undersecretary for Diplomatic Affairs at Oman's Foreign Ministry Khalifa al-Harthy. (Oman's Foreign Ministry)

Chief Iranian nuclear negotiator Ali Bagheri-Kani held talks with Oman’s Undersecretary for Diplomatic Affairs Khalifa al-Harthy at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Muscat on Thursday.

The Omani Foreign Ministry said in a statement that the talks addressed the bilateral ties and ways to enhance cooperation between their countries to serve their interests.  

"A number of regional and international issues of common concern were also discussed," it added.  

Iranian ambassador to Oman Ali Najafi attended the officials' talks, reported the IRNA news agency.

Oman is trying to revitalize its mediation role between Washington and Tehran, especially after negotiations aimed at reviving the 2015 nuclear deal failed in September amid mutual accusations of unreasonable demands.  

Muscat previously hosted rounds of indirect talks between US National Security Council official Brett McGurk and Bagheri-Kani, a Western official told Reuters in mid-June.  

Iranian and Western officials said the two parties want to sketch out steps to limit the Iranian nuclear program, release some detained US citizens held by Iran and unfreeze some Iranian assets abroad.  

Iranian officials said the talks under Oman’s mediation increase the possibility of freeing US detainees in exchange for releasing frozen Iranian assets in South Korea, Iraq, and the World Bank.  

Last Saturday, Iran's government submitted a bill to parliament to approve sending the case of frozen assets in South Korean banks to arbitration.  

The government then submitted a complaint at international courts against Seoul regarding Tehran's assets that have been frozen due to US sanctions.  

In June, Bagheri-Kani visited Abu Dhabi, where he met his counterpart from the European Troika. He later held talks with the European Union's coordinator for nuclear negotiations with Iran, Enrique Mora.  

In both meetings, the Iranians received a warning from the Europeans about maintaining the nuclear missile sanctions set to expire on October 18 under the 2015 nuclear deal.  

Meanwhile, Iraqi Prime Minister, Mohammad Shia al-Sudani, announced that a delegation from the Iraqi central bank and the Trade Bank of Iraq (TBI) traveled to Oman to agree on a formula for transferring the funds to the Sultanate, in agreement with the US treasury.  

"Work is continuing with the US regarding the unpaid bills, which dropped to 9.25 billion euros," Sudani told reporters in a press conference in Baghdad, adding that Iraq has transferred around 1.9 billion euros owed to Iran within the first seven months of his government based on a mechanism agreed upon with Washington.  

The US State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said during a press conference that the waiver provided to Iraq last month allows for the transfer of funds from Iran's restricted accounts in Iraq to banned accounts in select third-country banks.  

Miller added that Sudani "has demonstrated commitment to strengthening Iraq's energy security, and this mechanism is only one way we seek to alleviate Iranian pressure on Iraq."  

"We work closely with Iraq to ensure these energy payments are managed in a manner consistent with US sanctions and cannot be diverted for illicit means," noted the spokesman, adding that the US remains "supportive of transactions for humanitarian goods and will continue to engage with the Iraqi Government on these complex issues." 



Makkah Deputy Governor Carries Out Field Inspection of Grand Mosque Readiness for Ramadan 

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
TT

Makkah Deputy Governor Carries Out Field Inspection of Grand Mosque Readiness for Ramadan 

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz inspected the readiness of the Grand Mosque and its facilities, conducting a field tour to review operational and service preparations for receiving worshippers and Umrah performers during the holy month of Ramadan, reported the Saudi Press Agency on Tuesday.

Prince Saud was briefed on the operational plans implemented by the relevant authorities, including crowd management mechanisms, service enhancements, and facility preparations aimed at ensuring smooth movement and enhancing comfort and safety levels for visitors to the Grand Mosque, particularly during peak times.

He reviewed developmental initiatives and smart services supporting the operational system, notably electric mobility carts for transporting the elderly, persons with disabilities, and those in need of assistance within the Grand Mosque.

The tour also included an overview of the efforts of guidance teams deployed across the corridors and courtyards of the Grand Mosque, providing multilingual assistance and direction.

Prince Saud reviewed the interactive map and digital mobility platform, which allows visitors to plan their routes in advance and identify service locations, entrances and exits, and less crowded pathways.

He was briefed on crowd management systems, including the visitor density sensor platform that measures human density in real time, and the Tawaf and Sa’i crowd status display service, which allows worshippers to select appropriate times to perform rituals with ease. Models of the modern multilingual guidance system were also reviewed.

Prince Saud also visited the Smart Engineering Command and Control Center, which serves as an advanced central platform linking operational systems and monitoring performance in real time, boosting operational efficiency and raising readiness levels during Ramadan.


Saudi Leadership Provides Two Donations Worth SAR150 Mln Through Jood Eskan Platform

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Leadership Provides Two Donations Worth SAR150 Mln Through Jood Eskan Platform

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister, have provided two generous donations amounting to SAR150 million through the Jood Eskan platform.

The move aligns with the leadership's commitment to supporting all national efforts and initiatives to provide suitable housing for deserving families.

Minister of Municipalities and Housing and Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Developmental Housing Foundation (Sakan) Majed Al-Hogail expressed his deep gratitude to the leadership for its unwavering support to all national efforts and initiatives aimed at providing suitable housing for eligible families across the Kingdom.

He noted the effective impact of previous generous donations in achieving the goals of housing development, and motivating individuals and institutions to donate through the Jood Eskan platform that is based on community giving that helps provide decent housing and boosts stability and quality of life for deserving families.


Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, received on Tuesday a written message from President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on bilateral relations between their two countries.

The message was received by Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah during a meeting with his Kazakh counterpart Yermek Kosherbayev in Riyadh.