Mohamed bin Zayed, Burhan Discuss Means to End Sudan War

United Arab Emirates President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Sudan's army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan meet in Abu Dhabi on March 11, 2022. (AFP)
United Arab Emirates President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Sudan's army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan meet in Abu Dhabi on March 11, 2022. (AFP)
TT

Mohamed bin Zayed, Burhan Discuss Means to End Sudan War

United Arab Emirates President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Sudan's army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan meet in Abu Dhabi on March 11, 2022. (AFP)
United Arab Emirates President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Sudan's army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan meet in Abu Dhabi on March 11, 2022. (AFP)

United Arab Emirates President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Sudan's army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan held telephone talks on Thursday to discuss a proposal by Ethiopia to end the war in Sudan, said diplomatic sources.

This was the first telephone call between the two leaders since the Sudanese army openly criticized the UAE for its alleged support of the rival Rapid Support Forces (RSF), a claim repeatedly denied by Abu Dhabi.

During the call, Sheikh Mohamed "affirmed the UAE's keenness to support all solutions and initiatives aimed at halting escalation and ending the crisis in Sudan in a way that contributes to enhancing its stability and security and fulfilling the aspirations of its people", reported the UAE’s state news agency (WAM).

He stressed the importance of peaceful dialogue and prioritizing reason to preserve security and stability in Sudan.

Sudanese diplomatic sources said the leaders discussed a proposal by Ethiopia’s Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed to end the war that erupted in April 2023.

The PM had visited Sudan earlier this month to mediate ending the conflict, which broke out over disputes over the transition to civilian rule.

Speculation was rife in Sudan over the telephone call between Sheikh Mohamed and Burhan.

Aide to Burhan, Yasser al-Atta, accused the leaderships of the UAE and Chad of supporting the RSF militarily during the war.

He added however that the telephone call was a positive step that may boost the chances of ending the war.

In June, Sudan filed an official complaint to the United Nations Security Council accusing the UAE of supplying the RSF with weapons. The UAE denied the claim.

A leading member of the Forces of Freedom and Change said the telephone talks between Sheikh Mohamed and Burhan did not come as a surprise.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, he added that Ahmed’s visit to Port Sudan earlier this month "took place in complete coordination with regional and international powers to persuade the leaders of the Sudanese army to choose peaceful solution" to end the conflict.

"We are fully aware that there is a movement within the army that is influenced by the Islamist movement that is impeding any effort to end the war so that it could return to power once again," he went on to say.

Moreover, he remarked that all efforts to end the fighting in Sudan, whether on the African or Arab levels, are taking place in complete coordination with the efforts carried out by the European Union and United States.



Makkah Deputy Governor Carries Out Field Inspection of Grand Mosque Readiness for Ramadan 

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
TT

Makkah Deputy Governor Carries Out Field Inspection of Grand Mosque Readiness for Ramadan 

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz inspected the readiness of the Grand Mosque and its facilities, conducting a field tour to review operational and service preparations for receiving worshippers and Umrah performers during the holy month of Ramadan, reported the Saudi Press Agency on Tuesday.

Prince Saud was briefed on the operational plans implemented by the relevant authorities, including crowd management mechanisms, service enhancements, and facility preparations aimed at ensuring smooth movement and enhancing comfort and safety levels for visitors to the Grand Mosque, particularly during peak times.

He reviewed developmental initiatives and smart services supporting the operational system, notably electric mobility carts for transporting the elderly, persons with disabilities, and those in need of assistance within the Grand Mosque.

The tour also included an overview of the efforts of guidance teams deployed across the corridors and courtyards of the Grand Mosque, providing multilingual assistance and direction.

Prince Saud reviewed the interactive map and digital mobility platform, which allows visitors to plan their routes in advance and identify service locations, entrances and exits, and less crowded pathways.

He was briefed on crowd management systems, including the visitor density sensor platform that measures human density in real time, and the Tawaf and Sa’i crowd status display service, which allows worshippers to select appropriate times to perform rituals with ease. Models of the modern multilingual guidance system were also reviewed.

Prince Saud also visited the Smart Engineering Command and Control Center, which serves as an advanced central platform linking operational systems and monitoring performance in real time, boosting operational efficiency and raising readiness levels during Ramadan.


Saudi Leadership Provides Two Donations Worth SAR150 Mln Through Jood Eskan Platform

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Leadership Provides Two Donations Worth SAR150 Mln Through Jood Eskan Platform

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister, have provided two generous donations amounting to SAR150 million through the Jood Eskan platform.

The move aligns with the leadership's commitment to supporting all national efforts and initiatives to provide suitable housing for deserving families.

Minister of Municipalities and Housing and Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Developmental Housing Foundation (Sakan) Majed Al-Hogail expressed his deep gratitude to the leadership for its unwavering support to all national efforts and initiatives aimed at providing suitable housing for eligible families across the Kingdom.

He noted the effective impact of previous generous donations in achieving the goals of housing development, and motivating individuals and institutions to donate through the Jood Eskan platform that is based on community giving that helps provide decent housing and boosts stability and quality of life for deserving families.


Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, received on Tuesday a written message from President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on bilateral relations between their two countries.

The message was received by Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah during a meeting with his Kazakh counterpart Yermek Kosherbayev in Riyadh.