Iraqi PM: Our Political Disagreements Serve ISIS

 Iraq's Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi in Baghdad, Iraq October 23, 2017. REUTERS/Alex Brandon/Pool
Iraq's Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi in Baghdad, Iraq October 23, 2017. REUTERS/Alex Brandon/Pool
TT

Iraqi PM: Our Political Disagreements Serve ISIS

 Iraq's Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi in Baghdad, Iraq October 23, 2017. REUTERS/Alex Brandon/Pool
Iraq's Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi in Baghdad, Iraq October 23, 2017. REUTERS/Alex Brandon/Pool

At the time Iranian President Hassan Rouhani declared the end of ISIS in Syria and Iraq, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi was more cautious in announcing the terrorist organizations' defeat as he would only declare final victory after ISIS militants were routed in the desert.

Abadi said on Tuesday during his weekly news conference ISIS had been defeated from a military perspective, but he wouldn't declare final victory just yet, adding: “from a military perspective, we have ended the presence of ISIS in Iraq."

On Friday, Iraqi forces captured the border town of Rawa, the last remaining town under ISIS control, indicating the end of the group’s alleged 'caliphate' announced in 2014.

According to military commanders, the only thing left of the operation against ISIS is to secure desert and border areas.

“God willing we will announce very soon after the end of the purification operations victory over ISIS in Iraq," confirmed Abadi.

The PM also stated that political disagreements will pave the way for the terrorist group to carry out new attacks, in reference to the central government’s dispute with Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) following the declaration of independence after the referendum Erbil had done on September 25.

Abadi praised a federal court verdict that ruled the Kurdish referendum was unconstitutional and called on Kurds to refrain from resorting to violence.

“Any disagreement between political factions will encourage ISIS to carry out terrorist attacks,” he said, adding: "I call on our Kurdish brothers to avoid fighting.”

Hours before Abadi spoke, Iraqi police announced that at least 23 people were killed and 60 wounded when a suicide bomber set off a truck bomb near a crowded marketplace in the town of Tuz Khurmatu, south of Kirkuk.

An Iraqi colonel told Agence France Presse (AFP) a “violent explosion” took place near a vegetable market in the town when a Kia car exploded.

Tuz Khurmato Mayor Adel Shakur al-Bayati also told AFP that 24 people were killed and 85 others injured.

Most of the casualties were civilians, the colonel, who spoke on condition of anonymity, informed AFP.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack, however, such attacks are usually claimed by ISIS.

Turkmen MP Niazi Maamar Oglu said that for years, the town has not seen such an attack as of Tuesday's.

Security chief of Salaheddin provincial coundil, Mehdi Taqi, reported that a curfew was imposed immediately until further notice.

"There are still some areas west of Tuz Khurmatu that serve as hideouts for ISIS and we will soon be carrying out operations to clean them up," Taqi added.



Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.