Andy Murray’s Stubbornness to Succeed is Crucial to His Recovery from Surgery

 Andy Murray says that if he can get himself to ‘95% of my best, I believe that’s enough to compete at the highest level. No question.’ Photograph: Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
Andy Murray says that if he can get himself to ‘95% of my best, I believe that’s enough to compete at the highest level. No question.’ Photograph: Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
TT

Andy Murray’s Stubbornness to Succeed is Crucial to His Recovery from Surgery

 Andy Murray says that if he can get himself to ‘95% of my best, I believe that’s enough to compete at the highest level. No question.’ Photograph: Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
Andy Murray says that if he can get himself to ‘95% of my best, I believe that’s enough to compete at the highest level. No question.’ Photograph: Clive Brunskill/Getty Images

Andy Murray’s decision to go under the knife in a Melbourne hospital on Monday morning – defying a swathe of expert and amateur opinion – looks like it has mended not only his right hip but revitalised the stubborn streak that has made the Scot such a remarkable player. It would seem he is not done yet, not by a long way.

There should be no doubt, though: Murray may have put his faith in one of the world’s best hip surgeons (a friend he has known for nine years, it emerged) but this was a calculated gamble. Plenty of players have tried hip surgery and discovered their playing days were pretty much done.

There are no guarantees but Dr John O’Donnell looks to have delivered Murray the result he will treasure alongside winning any of his three grand slams, two Olympic gold medals and reaching the pinnacle of his sport, when he ground his peers into submission in an astonishing run of 24 unbeaten matches in 2016 to unseat Novak Djokovic as the world No1. Murray paid the price for that surge of manic passion when his body collapsed six months ago.

Since then he has endured not only the misery of tedious rehab – his preferred option – but other false dawns and setbacks, first at the US Open, when he withdrew two days before the tournament, minor groin surgery on 18 December and further drama last week in Brisbane when he cancelled his scheduled comeback.

Now, though, he can smile a little. Dr O’Donnell was, Murray says, “very happy about how it went”. While “it” remains a vague entity, Murray, mercurial as ever, described the problem and the cure in the most general terms. What we do know is there was immense and constant pain.

For the first time he elaborated on the suffering on the day he lost to Sam Querrey in the quarter-finals at Wimbledon but the causes he chose to keep to himself.

“At Wimbledon, everything was hurting. I had never been in pain like that before. The thing that was stopping me from playing – and the reason I decided to have the surgery – was I was struggling to do extensions. Any time I had to sprint, with my right leg behind me, or like when I was walking, I was in pain. I could move about 80% [efficiently] but that last 10, 15 or 20%, when I would have to sprint or move extremely fast or very explosively, I wasn’t able to do it. It wasn’t that my leg couldn’t get into those positions. I was stopping myself extending my leg because of the pain.”

Murray worried about surgery; he had come through a back operation in late 2013 and was not keen to go through the process again but he put his total trust in O’Donnell at St Vincent’s hospital.

“It depends on what they see when they go in there,” Murray said of the risk factor. “When you look at my hip on an MRI scan just now, it doesn’t look very good. Most tennis players’ hips, if you scanned them, wouldn’t look particularly good. If he said: ‘Right, I’m going to literally do everything to have your hip look clear on an MRI scan’, the potential is that the time out [would be] long – and also there is a good chance you don’t recover to a level to play tennis.

“When we discussed it with him, it was, look, let’s try to do as little as possible with the highest chance of success but with the knowledge that, when he goes there if there’s things he sees that need to be done, he repairs and sorts them. That is what he did.”

Murray described the fraught final moments in a Brisbane hotel, where he sat alone for 10 hours, mulling over his future. “The decision was made on Wednesday, late afternoon or evening. But, on the Tuesday night when I withdrew from the tournament, I had pretty much made my mind up. I met with John on the Wednesday. He’s one of the best in the world and he’s known me since I was 20, 21 years old, I’ve seen him lots of times over the years and felt like he was the right person to do it.

“In terms of how I recover from it, I don’t need to say: ‘Yeah, I’m going to get back to being the best in the world, or try to compete for the biggest tournaments.’ A lot of it is down to your determination and your work ethic and how well you rehab, how much you listen and do all the correct things.

“We have to wait and see how all of that goes and how I recover. When I start playing again I won’t have played a match for 10 or 11 months. But it’s not like I’ve had surgery after Wimbledon and haven’t hit a ball until now. I was practising daily pretty much through to the US Open and then after having three weeks off post-US Open I’ve been hitting balls for the last three or four months. Hopefully I’ll be hitting balls on the court after seven or eight weeks.

“It’s not like I’m going to not hit a tennis ball for eight months and then practise for two months and then start playing again. I’ve been fairly competitive with top 50 players in the world in Brisbane, when I’ve been struggling to move, and I made the quarter-finals at Wimbledon when I literally couldn’t walk. So, if I can get myself to 95% of my best, I believe that’s enough to compete at the highest level. No question.”

Murray admitted he has thought about hip surgery after he stops playing. “From speaking to a lot of people who have had [hip replacements], they are extremely successful and that’s always an option when you are older.

“When I’ve been doing nothing for the last five or six days, then I can cope. My hip is not massively sore; I just have to walk with a bit of a limp. But the reason for having it done was to allow me to get back competing and play tennis. That’s what I want to keep doing and I’m not finished playing tennis yet.

“I had spoken to my wife about surgery. One of the things I would like to do is play until my eldest daughter is able to watch me and have a small understanding of what it is I’ve done for my living. That’s one of the things that’s motivated me to keep playing.

“The rest of my body feels fantastic. I feel really good physically, apart from this one issue. The surgery allows me to extend my hip well and I’ll be able to sprint. I think I’m going to be back on the court competing at the highest level again.”

Others were not sure. Murray was never in doubt.

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.