Bahrain Sentences 58 Suspects on Terror Charges

Police and security officials stand guard at a checkpoint on a highway in Sanabis west of Manama, Bahrain on February 9, 2017. (Reuters)
Police and security officials stand guard at a checkpoint on a highway in Sanabis west of Manama, Bahrain on February 9, 2017. (Reuters)
TT

Bahrain Sentences 58 Suspects on Terror Charges

Police and security officials stand guard at a checkpoint on a highway in Sanabis west of Manama, Bahrain on February 9, 2017. (Reuters)
Police and security officials stand guard at a checkpoint on a highway in Sanabis west of Manama, Bahrain on February 9, 2017. (Reuters)

Bahrain’s High Criminal Court issued sentences on Wednesday against 60 suspects held on terrorism charges, reported the Bahrain News Agency (BNA).

Acting Head of Terror Crime Prosecution, Chief Prosecutor Hamad Shaheen, said two defendants were sentenced to death and 19 to life in prison. The court also sentenced 17 defendants to 15 years in jail, nine to 10 years and 11 to five years. It also stripped 47 defendants of their citizenship.

Two detainees were acquitted.

The 60 suspects were put on trial on charges of forming a terrorist group. They were trained on the use of weapons and explosives for terrorist purposes and deliberate attempts to murder policemen.

The suspects also imported, possessed and used explosives, firearms and ammunition in armed robbery for terrorist purposes. They assaulted law enforcement personnel who protected the community from terrorist acts. They forcefully resisted arrest, fled from detention, assisted convicts to escape and sheltered convicted inmates, reported BNA.

According to Criminal Investigation Department (CID) records, the case annals date back to January 1, 2017 when ten convicts escaped from the Jaw Reformatory and Rehabilitation Center, killing one policeman from the prison warden force in the process.

The investigations revealed the formation of a terrorist organization, established and joined by a number of suspects, including 12 in Iran and Iraq, one in Germany and 40, including the 10 fugitives, in Bahrain.

The group leaders and members plotted numerous terrorist crimes aimed to destabilize public order, undermine the Kingdom’s safety and security, damage national unity and hamper authorities from carrying out their duties.

The investigations unraveled the suspects’ formation of their terrorist organization, and how the suspects communicated with members of the organization in the Kingdom who are inmates inside or outside prison to recruit other elements. They supplied them with various explosives, firearms and ammunition that had been smuggled into Bahrain.

They also supplied them with the necessary funds for their subsistence and terror activities. They, jointly with their leader, who was a fugitive in Germany, managed the travel procedures for members of the organization to travel to Iran and Iraq to train on the use of explosives, firearms in the Iranian Revolutionary Guard camps to prepare them to carry out terrorist crimes in Bahrain, said BNA.

The security personnel arrested a number of the suspects in accordance with the Law for the Protection of the Community against Terrorist Acts, searched their homes and seized a large cache of explosives, detonators, hand grenades, explosive molds, automatic Kalashnikov machineguns, pistols, ammunition, vehicles and boats used in carrying out terrorist attacks and smuggling operations.

Thirty-six suspects were arrested and referred to the Public Prosecution for questioning. Some of the suspects confessed to the charges.



Saudi Arabia, Arab and Islamic Countries Condemn Israel’s 'State Land' Decision in West Bank 

The West Bank village of al-Ram is pictured behind Israel's controversial separation barrier from the outskirts of Jerusalem on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
The West Bank village of al-Ram is pictured behind Israel's controversial separation barrier from the outskirts of Jerusalem on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Saudi Arabia, Arab and Islamic Countries Condemn Israel’s 'State Land' Decision in West Bank 

The West Bank village of al-Ram is pictured behind Israel's controversial separation barrier from the outskirts of Jerusalem on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
The West Bank village of al-Ram is pictured behind Israel's controversial separation barrier from the outskirts of Jerusalem on February 16, 2026. (AFP)

The foreign ministers of Saudi Arabia, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Indonesia, Pakistan, Egypt, and Türkiye strongly condemned on Tuesday Israel's decision to designate lands in the occupied West Bank as so-called "state land".

They also slammed it for approving procedures for the registration and settlement of land ownership across extensive areas of the occupied West Bank for the first time since 1967.

They condemned the moves as “a grave escalation aimed at accelerating illegal settlement activity, land confiscation, entrenching Israeli control, and applying unlawful Israeli sovereignty over the Occupied Palestinian Territory and undermining the legitimate rights of the Palestinian people.”

These measures are “a flagrant violation of international law and international humanitarian law, particularly the Fourth Geneva Convention, as well as a violation of relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions, foremost among them Resolution 2334,” the FMs said in a statement.

“The decision also contradicts the advisory opinion issued by the International Court of Justice concerning the legal consequences arising from Israeli policies and practices in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, which underscored the illegality of measures intended to alter the legal, historical, and demographic status of the Occupied Palestinian Territory, the obligation to end the occupation, and the prohibition of the acquisition of territory by force,” they added.

“This step reflects an attempt to impose a new legal and administrative reality designed to consolidate control over the occupied land, thereby undermining the two-state solution, eroding the prospects for the establishment of an independent and viable Palestinian State, and jeopardizing the attainment of a just and comprehensive peace in the region,” they warned.

The foreign ministers reiterated their “categorical rejection of all unilateral measures aimed at altering the legal, demographic, and historical status of the Occupied Palestinian Territory.”

They stressed that such policies are “a dangerous escalation that will further heighten tensions and instability in the Occupied Palestinian Territory and the region as a whole.”

They called on the international community “to assume its responsibilities and take clear and decisive steps to halt these violations, ensure respect for international law, and safeguard the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people, foremost among them their right to self-determination, ending the occupation, and establishing their independent and sovereign State based on 1967 borders with East Jerusalem as its capital.”


Saudi Hajj and Umrah Minister Inspects Ramadan Service Readiness at Two Holy Mosques 

Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah during the inspection tour on Monday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah during the inspection tour on Monday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Hajj and Umrah Minister Inspects Ramadan Service Readiness at Two Holy Mosques 

Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah during the inspection tour on Monday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah during the inspection tour on Monday. (SPA)

Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah carried out on Monday a field inspection tour to assess operational and service readiness for the holy fasting month of Ramadan at the Grand Mosque, Prophet’s Mosque, and several other service sites in the holy city of Makkah.

Accompanied by the authority’s CEO Eng. Ghazi Al-Shahrani, the tour included a review of field operations, crowd management plans, and the flow of Umrah performers and worshippers.

It addressed coordination and integration mechanisms among relevant entities, as part of ongoing efforts by the ministry, the authority, and partner organizations serving pilgrims.

Al-Rabiah stressed that these efforts are carried out in line with the directives of the Kingdom's leadership and reflect the country's commitment to caring for the Two Holy Mosques and their visitors.

The level of readiness and the services provided during Ramadan are part of ongoing development efforts and they support the objectives of the Pilgrim Experience Program, part of Saudi Vision 2030, which aims to boost the quality of services and the overall experience of pilgrims, he added.


SDRPY, EU Sign Strategic Partnership to Improve Living Conditions in Yemen 

Officials are seen at the signing ceremony in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)
Officials are seen at the signing ceremony in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)
TT

SDRPY, EU Sign Strategic Partnership to Improve Living Conditions in Yemen 

Officials are seen at the signing ceremony in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)
Officials are seen at the signing ceremony in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)

The Saudi Development and Reconstruction Program for Yemen (SDRPY) and European Union announced on Monday the alignment of their efforts to improve livelihoods in Yemen.

These efforts focus on investment in economic recovery programs and reforms, job creation, strengthening state institutions, and boosting community resilience, including in the areas of food security, agriculture, electricity, water, and environmental sanitation.

Their strategic partnership is in line with efforts to strengthen international cooperation to support Yemen.

Supporting improved access to water in the Marib governorate is the first outcome of the strategic partnership.

The two parties signed in Riyadh an agreement with the SILA Foundation to implement a SAR9-million project, “Enhancing Water Security in Marib Governorate,” covering nine areas across the districts of Marib Al-Wadi, Marib City, and Harib. Over 350,000 people will benefit from the project.

The agreement reflects the parties’ commitment to joint action and continuous coordination to improve living conditions for all Yemenis.

The SDRPY and EU agreed to continue coordination and explore additional opportunities for cooperation in the water sector, as well as joint development projects and initiatives in other sectors.