Syria’s opposition forces decided on Sunday to ignore Washington’s warning not to expect a US military intervention in their support regarding the regime’s operation in the southern province of Daraa.
Commander of the Southern Front factions Colonel Khaled Al-Nabulsi told Asharq Al-Awsat that the group ignored the US advice by choosing to confront regime forces and their allied militias.
“If there is an American advice, then it should go to the Russians and the Syrian regime which are called to respect their promises and agreements by de-escalating tension and not killing civilians,” the Colonel said.
He added: “We should not continue to wait for a massacre to take place after the other in Syrian regions.”
Nabulsi explained that shortly after the US warning to the Syrian opposition, Russian warplanes took off from the Hmeimim air base in the direction of the South, triggering their military operation by mainly targeting the areas of Basra and Al-Lajat.
“Such behavior is a clear announcement that Russia is terminating the de-escalation agreement in the South,” Nabulsi said.
Last week, the US advised the opposition not to respond to the provocations of regime forces, whose helicopters dropped barrel bombs on opposition areas of the southwest.
The US seeks to give a chance for a “diplomatic solution” to protect the de-escalation agreement brokered last year by Washington, Moscow and Amman.
Meanwhile, regime forces pushed further in their military operation in the east of Daraa province, the first since reaching a de-escalation agreement one year ago.