The White Hart Lane Club Ready for Action: Haringey Living FA Cup Dream

Haringey Borough players training on their 3G pitch in the buildup to Friday’s FA Cup first-round tie against AFC Wimbledon. (The Guardian)
Haringey Borough players training on their 3G pitch in the buildup to Friday’s FA Cup first-round tie against AFC Wimbledon. (The Guardian)
TT

The White Hart Lane Club Ready for Action: Haringey Living FA Cup Dream

Haringey Borough players training on their 3G pitch in the buildup to Friday’s FA Cup first-round tie against AFC Wimbledon. (The Guardian)
Haringey Borough players training on their 3G pitch in the buildup to Friday’s FA Cup first-round tie against AFC Wimbledon. (The Guardian)

Half an hour before he walks across the car park to oversee training, Tom Loizou is selling tickets behind the bar at Coles Park. A local couple have strolled into, rather than past, Haringey Borough’s facilities for the first time and the scene has become a familiar one: an enthusiastic welcome, an expression of mild regret on the newcomers’ part that they have not stopped by before, the purchase of two places at Friday’s FA Cup first-round match against AFC Wimbledon and a parting promise that they will be back for a league fixture with their nine-year-old son.

Until recently this was a forgotten and unloved outpost of north London’s football scene, but the Bostik Premier League club will be more relevant than ever when a crowd of around 2,500 packs in for an event that will also be televised by the BBC. One of the tie’s selling points to the curious is its location: Haringey’s ground is situated on White Hart Lane and, yes, they will be ready to host the game as scheduled. The new Spurs stadium is just under a mile away, on Tottenham High Road; it will take center stage soon enough but for now Haringey intend to show they can offer something different.

While their Premier League neighbors’ arena towers above the surrounding area, Loizou and his chairman, Aki Achillea, see no reason to be in its shadow. Haringey is one of London’s most deprived boroughs and is an area of stark, often deeply troubling social contrast. Until earlier this decade the club was in no fit state to make any difference but, staffed by a tiny group of volunteers and, in Loizou, a full-time manager whose role covers anything from team selection to stadium repairs, it has been transformed. This is now a place the local community can call home and one where the many who cannot afford to pay for the privilege of live football can watch it for free.

“We wanted to engage people in the area and let them see what we are doing here rather than just driving past the gates,” says Achillea, a lawyer who was asked in 1995 to help settle some issues with the club’s lease and who, it turned out, would never leave. When Achillea arrived, Haringey were playing to attendances of 20 or 30. For two decades that never really changed and, while the team bobbed around on a quagmire of a home pitch, they found the funds to stay alive only when Achillea persuaded a local market to operate on their premises every Sunday. But the arrival of Loizou nine years ago sparked an upturn in fortunes and in 2016 Achillea decided to throw open the doors: Haringey would make season tickets for league games available for nothing.

“We installed our new 3G pitch in 2016 and had a superb facility but nobody to see it,” he says. “I wanted to create an atmosphere for our players as well. It’s heartwarming for them to play in front of people who sing songs, clap and cheer.”

League attendances this season have averaged around 270. Promotion to the Bostik Premier, England’s seventh tier, in 2017-18, kept the good feeling going and the scenes were delirious last month when Poole Town were beaten 2-1 in the fourth qualifying round to put Haringey in the competition proper for the first time.

“Everybody said to me: ‘You’re mad taking the job, there’s nothing there,’” Loizou says. “But I’ve come in here and been able to build my own environment, with people I know and trust. When we beat Poole the chairman was running up and down like a little kid. Coming out of the hat first and getting Wimbledon in the draw was just perfect. We were fighting a losing battle a few years ago but it’s turning around.”

Loizou presides over a squad of, to use his words, “rough diamonds” in which speed and power are prerequisites. Joel Nouble, brother of the Colchester forward Frank, got the goal that qualified them to face AFC Wimbledon and there is a sprinkling of experience, too, in Derek Asamoah, who scored for Carlisle in a League Cup tie at Anfield.

“I joke with some of the guys and say I was here when we had a grass pitch, no nets in the goals, and you had to walk across the car park to get changed,” says Rakim Richards, a long-serving center-back whom Loizou plucked from local Sunday football. “We’ve built from nothing, and look where we are now.”

Richards works as a community coach at Tottenham and the hope at Haringey is that the relationship between the clubs, traditionally courteous but muted, will become more formal. The Premier League club have expressed an interest in promoting Haringey’s games and Achillea would love to see Spurs’ upwardly mobile women’s team playing at Coles Park. Haringey are on the verge of being self-financing, the 3G pitch a godsend in raising funds from other teams and organizations that wish to use it. The ultimate aim is to go full-time and play at National League level; the Cup run will do them little harm in pursuing that goal and Loizou believes they can give AFC Wimbledon’s famous old giant-killers a taste of their own medicine.

“There’s a glimmer of hope,” he says. “They’re four levels above us, we stand no chance according to most people and I understand that. But if we win it we’ve pushed the boundaries; I’ve had no sleep since the draw and I don’t know what’ll happen if we beat them.”

Presumably a few more interested residents might drop in and, if they are lucky, hear a compelling sales pitch from the manager himself. “Sometimes you walk into a non-league club and it’s like you’re being watched or there’s a grey cloud over it,” says Loizou. “You come in here and all you see is smiles.” Haringey ultimately lost 0-1 to Wimbledon on Friday.

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.