Daniel James Joins Manchester United a Huge Prospect but with Work to Do

Daniel James has signed a five-year deal with Manchester United. (Manchester United via Getty Images)
Daniel James has signed a five-year deal with Manchester United. (Manchester United via Getty Images)
TT

Daniel James Joins Manchester United a Huge Prospect but with Work to Do

Daniel James has signed a five-year deal with Manchester United. (Manchester United via Getty Images)
Daniel James has signed a five-year deal with Manchester United. (Manchester United via Getty Images)

Graham Potter is not the sort to get carried away but as the questions about Daniel James kept coming, and the realization that everyone had witnessed something special started to sink in, even Swansea’s manager was sounding like an excited supporter. “There were a few instances, not just the goal,” said Potter, smiling, almost laughing, “and it’s just off-your-seat stuff, like ‘wow’.”

It was February, FA Cup fifth-round day, and the best way to describe James that afternoon is unplayable. Three Brentford players were booked for bringing him down and Ezri Konsa received a red card for a professional foul on the Wales international, who was involved in three of Swansea’s four goals. Including that goal: 84yds covered in 8.48sec, with a ball at his feet, and three Brentford players trying, and desperately failing, to keep up.

Although the Liberty Stadium was half empty on that Sunday afternoon, a much wider audience was taking note. The goal – six touches from the edge of his own penalty area to the back of the Brentford net – made him an internet hit. As for the football industry, Potter accepted there and then that, if James left in the summer, it would be for the Premier League.

Incredibly James had been minutes away from joining another Championship club on loan less than three weeks earlier, in a deadline-day deal with Leeds that was described as ludicrous by some of those involved and would have led to Swansea picking up next to nothing until June. Swansea belatedly saw sense – Huw Jenkins, who would resign as chairman a few days later, was not alone in realizing the plug needed to be pulled – and James returned to south Wales.

At the time James was devastated. His family live in South Cave, in east Yorkshire, and playing for Leeds, who were chasing promotion under Marcelo Bielsa, was an attractive proposition. Little more than four months on James may well reflect that the collapse of that move was a blessing in disguise. There is, after all, no guarantee he would have gone on to turn in the sort of displays for Leeds that prompted Manchester United to part with £15m and make him their first signing of the summer.

It was during the second half of the season at Swansea that James, with the Leeds fiasco pushed to the back of his mind and confidence flowing, really started to take his game to another level. The potential has always been there – James was a hugely promising Wales youth international when Swansea signed him from Hull as an academy player for £72,000 in 2014 – but getting an opportunity at first-team level took time and there were setbacks along the way.

Less than two years ago James returned from a loan spell at Shrewsbury without kicking a ball. He had undergone a minor operation shortly before and, with that in mind, the move was probably not well-timed. Others close to James question whether he was suited to Paul Hurst’s style of football. Either way, it is hard not to smile at the headline on a Shropshire Star article in August 2017, shortly before James’s loan move came to a premature end: “Paul Hurst calls on Shrewsbury loanee Dan James to get up to speed”.

That was not a problem last season in more ways than one. James, who had been mulling over joining Yeovil on loan in August, was told by Potter that he would get a chance at Swansea, and by October the youngster was starting to make a big impression, not least because of that breathtaking pace. He is not just lightning quick when he has space to run into but explosive from a standing start over short distances. Defenders never know whether to get tight or drop off.

If that FA Cup tie against Brentford put James on the map, Stoke’s visit in April may well have taken him in the direction of Old Trafford. He scored another wonder goal that night – Ryan Giggs, the Wales manager, was applauding in the stand – and Stoke finished with nine men after two players were sent off for fouling James. Once again he was unplayable. “It was one of the best individual performances I have ever seen as a fellow player,” Joe Allen, the Stoke and Wales midfielder, said this week.

While James’s speed is something to behold, there is work to do to refine other areas of his game and United supporters may need to be patient in that respect. His finishing can be erratic – he scored six times last season for Swansea but could easily have ended up in double figures with a touch more conviction in front of goal – and the final ball was not always in keeping with what went before it. That said, there were clear signs of improvement towards the end of the season, particularly with his crossing, and it is also worth remembering that we are talking about a player who is only 21 and has made 42 appearances in senior football for club and country.

In that sense it feels as though James has come a long way in a short time, yet the journey that takes place away from the limelight is overlooked by many, though not by everyone. When Swansea Under-23s traveled to Hull in February, shortly after that barnstorming performance against Brentford, Kevan and Elaine James turned up to thank the Welsh club’s coaching staff personally for the part they played in their son’s development – a nice touch.

Sadly, desperately sadly, Kevan died suddenly last month, not long after the wheels for the transfer to Manchester United were set in motion. DJ, as he is known to his friends and teammates, posted a heartfelt message on his Instagram account a few days ago, describing his dad as his inspiration and promising to make him proud. Kevan was already that and more.

The Guardian Sport



Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.


Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
TT

Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)

Lindsey Vonn is back home in the US following a week of treatment at a hospital in Italy after breaking her left leg in the Olympic downhill at the Milan Cortina Games.

“Haven’t stood on my feet in over a week... been in a hospital bed immobile since my race. And although I’m not yet able to stand, being back on home soil feels amazing,” Vonn posted on X with an American flag emoji. “Huge thank you to everyone in Italy for taking good care of me.”

The 41-year-old Vonn suffered a complex tibia fracture that has already been operated on multiple times following her Feb. 8 crash. She has said she'll need more surgery in the US.

Nine days before her fall in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn ruptured the ACL in her left knee in another crash in Switzerland.

Even before then, all eyes had been on her as the feel-good story heading into the Olympics for her comeback after nearly six years of retirement.