Dispute between Lebanese President, Sons-in-Law Intensifies

Chamel Roukoz. (NNA)
Chamel Roukoz. (NNA)
TT
20

Dispute between Lebanese President, Sons-in-Law Intensifies

Chamel Roukoz. (NNA)
Chamel Roukoz. (NNA)

Lebanese President Michel Aoun’s son-in-law took a major step towards splitting from his political camp by calling on the people to “rebel” against the ruling authority as the country grapples with its worst economic crisis in decades.

Tensions have been high between Chamel Roukoz and Aoun’s other son-in-law and divisive figure, MP Gebran Bassil, who now heads the Free Patriotic Movement, which was founded by the president.

Roukoz has been vocal in his support for popular protests that erupted against the ruling elite in October 2019. Bassil had received a lot of the demonstrators’ ire during the rallies.

As the economy flounders and more and more people find themselves in poverty, Roukoz appears more committed to the uprising than ever, predicting that a second wave of protests will soon erupt.

At a press conference over the weekend, he severed what appeared to be his last remaining ties with Bassil, calling on the people to rise up against the authority.

“Rebelling is a pillar of real freedom, while submission is the basis of slavery,” he said. “The people have grown hungry. When pockets and stomachs become empty and when fathers and mothers can no longer feed their children, then revolution and rebelling become the only means to regain dignity.”

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat after the press conference, Roukoz said that he resorted to harsh rhetoric because the Lebanese have reached a “tragic” point.

“No matter how harsh my words get, they will not reach the hardship endured by the people,” he stated.

The rebellion he spoke about is not related to the presidency, he clarified, saying that Lebanon is built on a democratic, not a presidential system.

His call for rebellion was directed to officers and judges who have the “primary” responsibility in saving Lebanon, he explained.

He also dismissed as “superficial” the reactions to his press conference. On his relations with Aoun and Bassil, he said: “The president is still the president, as for the others, they are the others.”

Tensions between Roukoz and Bassil first emerged when the latter won uncontested a second term as president of the FPM. The win had disappointed several Aounists, who had defected from the movement when Bassil, a former foreign minister, had assumed its presidency the first time back in 2015.

Divisions grew between the sons-in-law in wake of the stances made by Bassil’s Strong Lebanon parliamentary bloc, which Roukoz eventually split from.



Kurdish Fighters Leave Northern City in Syria as Part of Deal with Central Government

A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)
A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)
TT
20

Kurdish Fighters Leave Northern City in Syria as Part of Deal with Central Government

A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)
A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)

Scores of US-backed Kurdish fighters left two neighborhoods in Syria’s northern city of Aleppo Friday as part of a deal with the central government in Damascus, which is expanding its authority in the country.

The fighters left the predominantly Kurdish northern neighborhoods of Sheikh Maksoud and Achrafieh, which had been under the control of Kurdish fighters in Aleppo over the past decade.

The deal is a boost to an agreement reached last month between Syria’s interim government and the Kurdish-led authority that controls the country’s northeast. The deal could eventually lead to the merger of the main US-backed force in Syria into the Syrian army.

The withdrawal of fighters from the US-backed and Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) came a day after dozens of prisoners from both sides were freed in Aleppo, Syria’s largest city.

Syria’s state news agency, SANA, reported that government forces were deployed along the road that SDF fighters will use to move between Aleppo and areas east of the Euphrates River, where the Kurdish-led force controls nearly a quarter of Syria.

Sheikh Maksoud and Achrafieh had been under SDF control since 2015 and remained so even when forces of ousted President Bashar al-Assad captured Aleppo in late 2016. The two neighborhoods remained under SDF control when forces loyal to current interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa captured the city in November, and days later captured the capital, Damascus, removing Assad from power.

After being marginalized for decades under the rule of the Assad family rule, the deal signed last month promises Syria’s Kurds “constitutional rights,” including using and teaching their language, which were banned for decades.

Hundreds of thousands of Kurds, who were displaced during Syria’s nearly 14-year civil war, will return to their homes. Thousands of Kurds living in Syria who have been deprived of nationality for decades under Assad will be given the right of citizenship, according to the agreement.

Kurds made up 10% of the country’s prewar population of 23 million. Kurdish leaders say they don’t want full autonomy with their own government and parliament. They want decentralization and room to run their day-to day-affairs.